why am i so inconsistent?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Lone-Coyote
antispam: No

why am i so inconsistent?

Post by Lone-Coyote »

hello :D
sometimes when i play i find it quite enjoyable. However there are times when i have no taste in my own playin at all. those time i think i just play notes, and notes comes out. Anybody has the same problem? can i have some tips please? :D
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: why am i so inconsistent?

Post by DrPhill »

Are you playing music to which you enjoy listening?
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
R Small
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by R Small »

We have good days and bad days. Enjoy the good days. Forget the bad days.
slowair

Post by slowair »

While it is true that we all have good days and bad, if you want to be reasonably certain that you enjoy playing, find others with similar interests and experience to play with. Playing with others also makes you play better. At least it seems to.
Good luck.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

The more you play, the more good days you'll have.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

I find the mood of the day affects my playing. I often will meditate for a few minutes before playing. It helps me to remain consistent. Doesn't always work but it helps me quite a lot. There is also quite a lot of whistle (flute) music that is meditative in nature so that's a good way to start practicing as well. Also, the more you play, the more consistent you become. Listen to the folks on this board. Their ideas have helped me tremendously.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

I always find that a happy heart plays happy music.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
AlBrown

Post by AlBrown »

The more I play, the more things that I used to think of as good, now sound bad. The bar moves up as I learn more, and I expect more of myself. Some days the music flows, and some days it is a struggle. You can deal with this in two ways, either play through it, or take a break.
One thing that always seems to work is to slow down, and take it easy. Pushing the speed limit can increase your frustration.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I still have days like that. My output is heavily influenced by the condition of my mind that day. If I am distracted, frustrated, down, etc. it affects my playing. If you're having a tough time playing just take it easy and do something you know well, maybe lower your standards and just enjoy playing so as not to further stress yourself. That's one way to pick up bad habits (by forcing something until you become stiff and tense).
Anyanka

Post by Anyanka »

... or change to another instrument. I have days like you, but on the accordion (my challenge instrument). Playing the whistle (my comfort zone) brings me back to feeling good about my musical abilities. If you don't have another instrument, how about changing to a different whistle? I like to alternate between high and low, fast tunes and slow, to keep it interesting, challenging and satisfying.
Lone-Coyote

Post by Lone-Coyote »

thank you very much guys, for supporting me. i guess i'll try to get as many good days as possible :D
i just found out that humming the tunes for hours and then playing it helps too.