High End standard D Session Whistle Opinions

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistler from Oz
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a whistle and fiddle player, just getting back into session music now. I play a variety of instruments and love sharing the sound with others. As many of you may experience, the music is a spiritual connection and sacred time for me. The hand of the giver is never empty as they say. Blessings to all. Aaron

High End standard D Session Whistle Opinions

Post by Whistler from Oz »

Hi All

I've been on the lookout for a high end session whistle for a while and not having a lot of luck, so I thought I'd find out what others think about it.

I'm after a high end session whistle with the following traits, (or as much of a balance of these traits as is possible in a whistle):

- Doesn't clog too much, (Nothing worse than having to stop mid tune to blow out the excess)
- Metal or non wooden construction (I live in a very high humidity / temperature variant climate, which is deathly for wooden whistles)
- low to medium backpressure,
- Lower octave can take a solid breath (ie. Doesn't flip to higher octave straight away)
- Top A & B notes on the whistle don't require herculean amounts of breath to sustain,
- Rich, full tone, with low to medium chiff.

Most whistles seem to have a basket of these traits, so I was wondering how regular players of the high end whistles find these traits in their whistles and whether anything you have played goes close to matching my wish list.

Best wishes
Whistler from Oz
"Blessings to all"
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: High End standard D Session Whistle Opinions

Post by brianholton »

Copeland if you can find one, if you cant (though they have a very different quality) I'd recommend any of the Burkes. I've recently acquired a couple of Hans Bracker's altos, and if his soprano d whistles are as good as the F and G ones I have, then he's your man. Discussion of his whistles here viewtopic.php?p=969033
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Ditto on the Copeland or Burke. Sindts are nice too, but they seemed to be drowned out at the sessions a lot of the times.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

My choices - in addition to those already mentioned - would be an easy to medium blower Goldie - or a Dymondwood (composite) Busman. No matter what brand you choose, ensure you get what you wish, by communicating your needs to the maker, him - or her - self.

Best to you. Good luck in your choice.

Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

The new Reyburn model, such a great whistle..
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Of course, someone is going to point out that the criteria you list match exactly to a Generation D. :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
R Small
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by R Small »

Hans Bracker whistles. And he's a regular here at Chiff & Fipple.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Of course, someone is going to point out that the criteria you list match exactly to a Generation D. :wink:
well not really:
I'm after a high end session whistle
:wink:

Ballyshannon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ballyshannon »

In addition to those already listed, Harper Classic if you can find one. The only metal whistle I've played with dead-on intonation and accuracy whether it's warmed up or not. Plays in tune stone cold or warmed up....makes no difference. Must be the gunmetal. :wink: Fantastic, unique whistles that easily hold their own in session.

Good luck in finding what you're looking for.
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

As MT Guru pointed out, you've described a Generation in nickel or brass. Particularly after Jerry Freeman has tweaked it. I would also allow for his Mellow Dog if you want a little more solid bottom and a little more volume. Then there is a Burke. I prefer brass over aluminum but it's a personal preference. The composite gives you a little less brightness but is a great whistle as well.

What does high end really mean? If you're just looking to spend money, you've had some really great brands thrown out. If you are looking for a great whistle, you don't need to spend that much though.

Just my humble opinion and I've got a terminal case of WHOA that has no price limit unfortunately. :love:
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

An older Copeland brass high D or a recent Burke Session Pro D if you want to spend 20x the cost of a Generation
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Trust me the new Reyburn is really nice :D
A small review i did:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76519
(i have no financial interests in it)

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

eskin wrote:An older Copeland brass high D or a recent Burke Session Pro D if you want to spend 20x the cost of a Generation

Wow Michael your photo is just about as ugly as mine! I didn't think it was possible.

About the Burkes, maybe the sweetest-playing would be a brass narrow/regular bore, and the loudest the aluminum session bore. The session bore is going to take more of a blow for those higher notes.

If you don't need the extra volume you might want to at least try the Burke brass regular/narrow bore. It plays, some might say, much like the best old Generations do. Or you could do what we had to do in the old days and begin a Holy Quest for the best Generation D you can find, then tweak as necessary. (There weren't any other D whistles then.)
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Whistler from Oz
Tell us something.: I'm a whistle and fiddle player, just getting back into session music now. I play a variety of instruments and love sharing the sound with others. As many of you may experience, the music is a spiritual connection and sacred time for me. The hand of the giver is never empty as they say. Blessings to all. Aaron

Post by Whistler from Oz »

Thanks everyone for your whistle opinions so far.

I've had a look at all the whistles suggested on-line as much as one can. I'd have to say the Reyburn is my favourite tone/sound from the available sound clips, but it is always tricky with random internet sound clips and a variety of players producing them.

Given that I'm about 1000 kilometres from the nearest decent whistle store and try before you buy isn't available, I've bought myself a Jerry Freeman Blackbird to help me be more patient and not jumping straight into the high end without trying any.

This little black tweeter produces such a beautiful sound, it has help take some urgency out of the session whistle search.
First play of the blackbird - not overly fussed, a little dissappointed
Second Play of the blackbird - starting to like it/understanding it
Third Play of the blackbird - sweet and full tone, great ability to affect expression with breath control, among other things and I had to pull myself away at 2 hours.

If anyone has any other thoughts to share on the high end session whistles, that would be great. Your opinions and experiences are much appreciated.

Best wishes
Whistler from Oz
"Blessings to all"
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

I just spent a week at tin whistle workshops. There were actually only two of us in the workshop, so it was more like lessons.

The other student played an older Burke aluminum in class. The instructor played a Mellow Dog. The Mellow Dog played pretty much the same. It was about the same volume, they played in tune together, etc. They had a similar tone as well. Listening to the recordings I can only distinguish one from the other based on location.

On the last day of class we compared a variety of instruments. The other student also had a brass Burke that was, from appearances, identical to the aluminum (excepting the color), but the brass was a good bit louder and harsher.

The instructor had a Blackbird that was notably softer and sweeter than any other whistle. He had a Copeland too. It was easily louder than any of the others. Shockingly loud.

I just bought Mellow Dog, which seems like a great whistle for the money (especially for the D/C set).