The Art of Unpacking

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Juan Pablo Plata
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: The Art of Unpacking

Post by Juan Pablo Plata »

Just a curiosity. Is this standard for Rogge sets?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I have had two Rogge sets and they both had this eye screw.

tommykleen
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

looks like it holds the back end of the drone stop switch.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Down from the mountain for the weekend.

After all the moving was over, I finally got some free time to get the pipes out and play them a bit, and tighten up all the loose joints. This new Alan Burton chanter reed is working flawlessly. Just for old times sake, I played Piper in the Meadow Straying--the first tune I ever learned on the uilleann pipes.

It was nearing dusk, I was out on the deck overlooking a meadow and pond and the sun was nearly set. An elk came up to the pond--about 400' away--and listened for a bit, then twenty came. I lost count at about one hundred. It was truely amazing. Half of the elk were babies squealing away through their own little pipes. This was the closest thing to a cattle drive I'd ever seen. Several of the bulls were bugling (a mating call in harmonics made in their wind pipe). I wonder if they thought I was bugling. A couple sets of elk were standing on their hind legs boxing one another, or dancing, not sure which!

The dry climate out here doesn't seem to affect any of the reeds. Not sure why. This is the first time I've not had to futz with any of the reeds. The unique slider Rogge makes for tuning the regs is pretty neat.

Many thanks to Uilliam and AlanB for setting me up with a good set of pipes and reeds. These guys are true gentlemen and a pleasure to deal with.
KevinCorkery

Post by KevinCorkery »

That sounds like the wildest reception nature has had for uilleann pipes. Surely they wished to see this new male elk calling their females.
tommykleen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Had you a fujara you would really get the elk all lathered up!
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Yesterday morning, I had just put the pipes away and came back out on the front porch. This bobcat was walking across my deck. I yelled "hey!" He never flinched. I ran and got my camera and came out the back porch. He was just laying down, panting. I though cats hated pipes. Anyway, what an amazing experience. Once in a lifetime does a wildcat come to you and offer himself for pictures. He acted like he knew me, or something was familiar. He showed no fear. Cats must own the forest!