Flatley on Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Re: Flatley on Flute

Post by Steve Bliven »

Steve Bliven wrote:It was announced on the radio this am that today is Mr. Flatley's 52nd birthday. Perhaps cut him some slack for the day...?
I suggested cutting him some "slack", not some "slag"... :really:

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Steve Bliven wrote:
Steve Bliven wrote:It was announced on the radio this am that today is Mr. Flatley's 52nd birthday. Perhaps cut him some slack for the day...?
I suggested cutting him some "slack", not some "slag"... :really:

Best wishes.

Steve
Now just hold on there a minute, my friend. Just where did I slag him after your post? I for one took it to heart, and in response put forth honestly and to all a challenging, possibly illuminating, and probably very unpopular opinion in the name of self-examination. In case it was not altogether clear, I want to assure you that I was quite serious, and I venture to suggest that those who assume I was joking would be those for whom my hypothesis is a painful possibility to face. If it's taken as being put lightheartedly, this should not matter, for let me point out the reality that being lighthearted does not by definition mean issuing jabs or being insincere, and for my part this was not some cowardly attempt at over-cloaking a slag beyond recognition. I like to think I have a bit more class than that.

Just so's you know. Try reading it again, please.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Re: Ben. He means he can - theoretically. But he doesn't. Discretion, see.
Who's a slag?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Nanohedron wrote:Now just hold on there a minute, my friend. Just where did I slag him after your post? I for one took it to heart, and in response put forth honestly and to all a challenging, possibly illuminating, and probably very unpopular opinion in the name of self-examination. In case it was not altogether clear, I want to assure you that I was quite serious, and I venture to suggest that those who assume I was joking would be those for whom my hypothesis is a painful possibility to face. If it's taken as being put lightheartedly, this should not matter, for let me point out the reality that being lighthearted does not by definition mean issuing jabs or being insincere, and for my part this was not some cowardly attempt at over-cloaking a slag beyond recognition. I like to think I have a bit more class than that.

Just so's you know. Try reading it again, please.
Just so's I'm clear - at no point did I consider that you slagged Mr. Flatley. I read your post when it appeared, noted that it contained the word "slagfest" and decided to play about with the similarity between that and "slack".

I didn't have any interest in raining on your homage, or over-cloaking your hypothesis, or doing anything else sordid to any h-words of any kind, yours or others. :D Besides, you're a Moderator and Moderators don't slag.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Denny

Post by Denny »

oy,

C&F has long standing tradition of slagging MF :really:

very long....old joke....running gag....predates this forum....you should live so long

did I mention old?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

always kills me to see how people pile onto the guy. :swear:
dare I say it: when you can play like that, then you've got the goods to be critical. :poke:
otherwise....just say you like :thumbsup: or don't like :sleep: , according to taste.

fact is, he outplays everyone here, like the style or not ... even if it is "flat" at times.

i posted it for those who'd never actually heard the recording, which is not available any longer on Claddagh (or anywhere else).
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Steve Bliven wrote:Besides, you're a Moderator and Moderators don't slag.
I think you'd better re-read even some more. :lol:

But do consider my post right after your birthday notice as my little gift, on this happy occasion, to Himself. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

David Migoya wrote:fact is, he outplays everyone here
there's you, Brad, that Harry feller....
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

outplays me, i'd say
Kramden
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kramden »

David Migoya wrote: . . . and yes, that's the Album cover. On Wacker Drive, no?

Looks like it's taken from North Avenue beach looking south toward Downtown/The Magnificent Mile. The string of bright lights is most likely Lake Shore Drive, a beautiful drive to take at night.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

and a couple of others also, but not very active on the forum...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

This is opinion and I don't know the guy but the funny thing is that it is another thing he seems really good at that gets him in trouble with musicians. He is a performer and entertainer. I think you could take the flute away and he would still be onstage or in the ring.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Denny

Post by Denny »

Othannen wrote:
and a couple of others also, but not very active on the forum...
it was by no means an attempt at an inclusive list.

although I did leave out a couple that came to mind just because they only stop by for commercial purposes.
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

He is an excellent player and an excellent dancer, top notch technical skills and super talented.

I have never met him and he may be the nicest guy for all i know, but the reason he riles so many people:

His taste is absolute cheesy and his ego is unbearable. It is his ego that has driven his ambition and his success. Most of us would be absolutely embarrassed to parade themselves in the fashion he has over the years. That's why we laugh or squirm. He has talent and no shame. And apparently there is an audience for cheesy. Dare I say Yanni?

Some have talent, but have shame. Some have no talent, but shame. Some of us have no talent and no shame, and those are usually the Flatley wanna-bees we see on some stages and pubs and usually give the music a bad name.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Well put. My sentiments, exactly.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde