vPipes Update

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ferris54
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: vPipes Update

Post by ferris54 »

Here is vpipe version of humours of BAllyloghlin
For Eskin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1B5_TUQ ... tube_gdata
eskin

Post by eskin »

Very nice!
liraman
antispam: No

Post by liraman »

[quote="ferris54"]Here is vpipe version of humours of BAllyloghlin
For Eskin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1B5_TUQ ... tube_gdata[/quote]

You beat me to it! I'll be back!
ferris54

Post by ferris54 »

Liraman, put your version up there too. Mine was pretty awful, especially the third part of the tune, i always have trouble with tunes were there is a c natural in the vicinity of top e. Anyone else got a vid of themselves playing the humours of ballyloghlin, be it vpipes, real wooden pipes or ipads? i`ve never heard it before eskin did it on his ipad but its agreat tune.
eskin

Post by eskin »

Here's a version I recorded about 3 years ago for the tradlessons site:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdOR5WtsLeY
ferris54

Post by ferris54 »

Great stuff. Wish i`d seen thatvid last week when i was trying to learn it from the manuscript i found on the web. It looks such a boring tune on paper without all the embelishments
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Heres another picture of some Boring Pipes

Meanwhile back in Uilliamsville

Life goes on pretty much the same... wi Emily,JES in the middle,watching Bill on his new fangled lathe. For lo it look liketh them...
Disclaimer this bears no resemblance to any human being
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
liraman

Post by liraman »

[quote="ferris54"]Liraman, put your version up there too. Mine was pretty awful, especially the third part of the tune, i always have trouble with tunes were there is a c natural in the vicinity of top e. Anyone else got a vid of themselves playing the humours of ballyloghlin, be it vpipes, real wooden pipes or ipads? i`ve never heard it before eskin did it on his ipad but its agreat tune.[/quote]

Planxty, i e king Liam did a wonderful solo version (on a concert pitch instrument) years ago. I differs somewhat from Mr Eskins version as to ornamentation and half tones used and I've played it on the whistle a long time ago. I'm on the move right now but hope to be able to upload a mixed O'flynn/Eskin version soon.
And I don't think your version was awful at all, it's real life and shows that the vPipes can be as beasty as the "real" thing, at times.
ferris54

Post by ferris54 »

uilliam,

there not as boring as my old real set that sat in thier case for months on end as everytime i played them my shoulder ached for weeks afterwards
Pipewort

Post by Pipewort »

If we can regard them as the zimmer frame of piping, then they certainly have a place. But, a Formula One eqiuvalent they certainly aint! Faultless as they are (really), they could be described as as interesting as an inflatable doll, nothing like as quirky or interesting as the real thing - but I mix my metaphors.

Pwt
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

ferris54 wrote:uilliam,

there not as boring as my old real set that sat in thier case for months on end as everytime i played them my shoulder ached for weeks afterwards
Yes they are... they are a stack of bore pipes used in the drilling business :really:
I do sincerely feel sorry for ye and yer shoulder but that doesnae make em any less boring.
A zimmer frame analogy is probably quite apt fer the other pipes, coz since ye cannot play the real pipes anymore( or lest hopefully say for the time being anyways) then whenever I see these being played I will be wondering what aileth the poor wee soul...ma sympathetic side will come oot and I will shed a tear perhaps.Likeminded folk will probably cry as well.
People will think I am weeping for afflicted humanity.Which of course I am.Afflicted wi these thingys.
Hopefully yoor shoulder will get betterer and ye can get back to real piping...until that happy day comrade.....

Let it be yoor wee secret..

Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
ferris54

Post by ferris54 »

I think they would win the formula one analogy hands down as I reckon the person playing the vpipes would be playing in tune long after real pipes were in a concert hall scenario.

Uilleann Thank you for you kind words, I will treasure them always
fiddlerwill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

Im on the list for a set... But I perhaps can add something to this thread; Ive been a gigging musician, bass and guitar, since I was 13 so I know a fair bit about some of the cons of electronic Gear. The bottom line with these Vpipes in comparison with the real thing is that the Vpipes will wear out rather more rapidly. So my advice is use them wisely. I dont know how long the guarantee is, but at some stage the circuit board will go, movable parts will break , input sockets will wear down etc.
So IMO just consider what use you put your gear to. Every time you use it, get the best from it.
I have a Midi set up for Both my Godin electric and Spanish guitars. But I conserve the cable and the units themselves for special occasions because Ive worn out many effects pedals and midi control units over 30yrs.
I cant wait for my set, consider the other uses: I will be able to play the Vpipes, on my guitar and Ill be able to play any of the thousands of instruments in my storage banks on the Vpipes! yay!
Myself I will reserve them for stage use only, I cant afford a 1200e practice instrument. In the Stage environment, hot light, hundreds or thousands of people breathing out humid air, drummers and bass players who wont shut the F up to let me fine tune etc etc they will fit right in. :D
A question, are there 2 outputs ? 1 for chanter one for drones , because It might be interesting to use an effect chain on the chanter! Wah wah, Delay.... What have they done?! :shock:

Anyhow look on them as another instrument, like an electric guitar is so very different from an acoustic, like a digital drum kit is so different from a real kit..... They cant be compared, because they are different, they all have their place.

Now I Better get back to reed making.... Thats one of the things I like about the pipes, its wood , leather, natural materials , like a barrel top wagon. Now lads Do yee remember what it was like travelling Ireland at 4mph? I do. Well watch out cos those boy racers with their Vpipes might overtake....little realising its the journey that matters. :wink:
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs
Black Rose

Post by Black Rose »

Well, my vPipes are still virtual.
Sigs are a waste of bandwidth
ferris54

Post by ferris54 »

Fiddlerwill wrote

A question, are there 2 outputs ? 1 for chanter one for drones ,

yes there is a setting for that i think, about four clicks down from the default setting, there is a stereo mode so the chanter comes out of one speaker, the drones out of another. Its a bit weird with headphones on.