Can Foot-Tapping be Learned?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mockingbird
antispam: No

Can Foot-Tapping be Learned?

Post by Mockingbird »

Not having the steadiest rhythm, I searched the forum for tips. Reading up a bit, I realized I cannot tap my foot and whistle at the same time! I tried it and my fingers forget entirely what to do. I did slightly better on a reel played with a straight beat, but the jig just fell apart.

Is this a remediable deficiency? Has anyone learned it after thinking they couldn't, by chance?

If it is irremediable, am I doomed to second-class whistling for the rest of my life? :cry: Have I simply got no rhythm?

P.S., I have used a metronome on occasion.
Tommy

Re: Can Foot-Tapping be Learned?

Post by Tommy »

Try tapping with your other foot.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Once you take your hand off your whistle to tap your foot, naturally you fingers forget what to do. Sorry, just being a smarty pants! GREAT question and I am looking forward to the replys!

All the best :D
Mockingbird wrote:Not having the steadiest rhythm, I searched the forum for tips. Reading up a bit, I realized I cannot tap my foot and whistle at the same time! I tried it and my fingers forget entirely what to do. I did slightly better on a reel played with a straight beat, but the jig just fell apart.

Is this a remediable deficiency? Has anyone learned it after thinking they couldn't, by chance?

If it is irremediable, am I doomed to second-class whistling for the rest of my life? :cry: Have I simply got no rhythm?

P.S., I have used a metronome on occasion.
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

If you can tap in rhythm while not playing the whistle, then you can tap in rhythm while playing the whistle.

Play a tune you know well insanely slowly, making yourself tap. It may be painful for awhile, but keep at it. It will come.

I can't tap in time while I'm playing a tune that's new to me. Once I start to "own" it, it comes naturally.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Yes, with enough practice.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Denny

Post by Denny »

sure ya can!

not everyone can do it in rhythm however :twisted:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
WhistleWhileyouWork

Post by WhistleWhileyouWork »

My feet are huge and tapping them drowns out the drummer and scares small children, so I use my big toe (Discreet and I seem to keep better time)

The metronome still reminds me that I have horrible timing regardless...
dsmootz

Post by dsmootz »

Watch people playing video games like Rock Band/Band Hero, specifically playing the drum peripherals. When people play the game for the very first time, they can usually kinda-sorta play with the sticks, but find the kick pedal a major hurdle, even with very simple rhythms (the easiest songs will have one kick every measure or two, which is executed by, essentially, tapping your foot). With practice, the same players can eventually pull of complex, syncopated sixteenth-note rhythms.

My conclusion is that, though we typically don't use feet in playing instruments, and therefore think of them as fundamentally different than hands and fingers, they're really not. You have to spend the time to learn to use them, and you can get very good at it with practice.
emmdee

Post by emmdee »

I'd say you can ... eventually. I think it's a comfort thing. When I was starting the whistle, I couldn't tap my left foot in time, only the right. I eventually learned to tap both. Oddly, the time I'm most likely to lose the beat is when switching from one foot to another!

Don't worry about it. Your internal metronome can be fine without you being able to tap your foot. I know a guy, great whistle player, whose foot taps 5/4 no matter what he's playing. Don't watch his feet under any circumstances!
m.d.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Try singing the tunes to yourself whilst walking steadily. I think that's what did it for me. Slightly uphill on a smooth surface is good.

I tried it indoors with a whistle but decided it might be dangerous if I tripped. Doorways are tricky with a flute - ethpethially going backwardth.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I have learned to manage to tap only the portions of songs that I need to tap. There is no way that I could tap a whole song.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Lemme see.... "The Battering Ram" is a good one. It's hard to play that without tapping your feet. "Smash the Windows" and "Cooley's", much the same. Some tunes have bits that need a wee bit more concentration - I can't tap my feet all the way through "The Kid on the Mountain" - or at least, not while I am playing it. Same with "Dusty Windowsills".

Are you playing sitting down? It's a lot easier to tap your feet if you are standing. It's difficult not to...
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

If you can tap your feet in time to music while not playing the whistle, and without focusing all of your mind on that one task then you should be able to incorporate it well enough in time (hopefully there is some inherent rhythm that comes naturally). I think what it takes is for both the playing and the tapping to become matters of muscle memory (second nature, if you will) so that neither depends on the other and neither requires so much mind focus that the rest of your body is left rigid and frozen. If you don't already do it, get in the habit of tapping along to music when you listen.
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

Once you get comfortable with the instrument and the tunes, tapping will become natural. Just practice tapping all the time, even to tunes you listen to. Just constantly tap your foot.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Denny

Post by Denny »

wear boots!

if ya ain't annoyin' the neighbors then ya ain't doin' it right!

Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.