Why are there so few female pipers ?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Why are there so few female pipers ?

Post by Uilliam »

Wait a mo,I recogniseth the return o Royce :love: Black Rose ....
Tom ye can add Sheila Friel and Emily Donaho both Scotland both fine pipers both betterer than a lot o men, to the list ... :wink:
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Thanks Liam, will do. Good that the lassies are coming up :) . I hope your leg gets sorted out and that you get better soon. Mick Coyne, Ennis, is also in hospital and missed Willie Week. Also going through the wars I afraid. According to Radio Clare's "West wind" program Ronan Browne was at Miltown without his pipes. I don't know yet which other pipers were missing from the madness. Emily was there at least. We'll be off to France to Tocane des St. Apres later this week, no idea what to expect as regards music or craic, never been to France. Could be some female pipers there? All the best
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
CelticHarpie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CelticHarpie »

Well, I wouldn't call myself a piper yet, but I'm two weeks in and haven't been scared off ;)
jon1908

Post by jon1908 »

CelticHarpie wrote:Well, I wouldn't call myself a piper yet, but I'm two weeks in and haven't been scared off ;)

You're not trying hard enough then! :D

Jon
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

I were at least 5 young women ranging from ages 14 to 21 that I saw in Miltown. There are more male guitarists then female guitarists.

As Larry said (and I paraphrase) '....who cares?????'
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Black Rose wrote:I think the solution you're looking for is to create a Department of Instrumental Equality, make it part of the Affirmative Action legislation, and both pay women to take up pipes, while at the same time restricting males from taking them up. Seems that would even it out for you. I mean, the Achems Razor notion that women just don't seem to like pipes isn't going to convince you with or without an acoustical line of reasoning to back it up.

But I have a known personality problem that goes immediately to sarcasm when trying to provide answers to people who ask questions and then refuse to listen to answers apart from the ones they obviously had in mind anyway. I think you already have your own ideas and I'm just getting in your way here. If I've been impatient with you I apologize from the heart of my bottom. I mean bottom of my heart. It's all just a bit of fun anyway eh? :poke: :D There that's better.
That's a great idea! :D I agree with the point originally made by No E and reinforced by others since his post. It's not like people are stopping women from taking up the uilleann pipes. My (poorly cloaked) sarcasm attempted to show that any kind of argument might be used to support the difference in numbers, but the real factors are probably too numerous and diverse impossible to take into account.

Hey Black Rose: that version of "White Rabbit" is funny as hell! Great stuff! :thumbsup:
Mockingbird

Post by Mockingbird »

I'm no piper, nor am I associated with piping other than listening... but I would say complexity would turn me off...certainly not because I'm incapable of dealing with complexity, but because I already have more than enough of it in all other areas of life. :) It's a question of priorities. Whistle has to do. Cost, secondarily, would also turn me off because of family priorities.

Women are generally pretty good multi-taskers, so I would guess any woman with the time to give it the necessary focused attention would do well at it.

Black Rose, that made me chuckle... :D
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

No E wrote: My answer to the original question is "Who cares?"
I do. I'd love to see loads more girls playing the pipes and why you dont care ,I dont understand.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Ah but he does care really coz if'n he did not then he wouldnae have bothered reading the post and then commenting on it.So he be a closet carer but doesnae want us to think he is.In fact he probably cares more than anyone else on this forum about this subject with the exception o course of yersel. :wink:
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
mike spencer

Post by mike spencer »

Men become obsessed with Uilleann Pipes whereas ladies do not, so there are more male pipers.To quote an acquaintance of mine who is a professional piper,"Playing the Uilleann Pipes is like being married to a hooker".'Nuff said.
mike spencer
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

Huh??
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

It's true! My pipes are always inviting people to squeeze them and touch them and finger them... and they don't even have to say anything! Drives me crazy! But I'll manage :thumbsup:

Pat's.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

mike spencer wrote:Men become obsessed with Uilleann Pipes whereas ladies do not, so there are more male pipers.To quote an acquaintance of mine who is a professional piper,"Playing the Uilleann Pipes is like being married to a hooker".'Nuff said.
I don't know if you're suggesting that obsessing is what guys do and women don't (if so, you should think about that one for a bit); and if you're suggesting that sentence B is an illustration of sentence A, I'm not getting your drift.

As for sentence B itself, I think the analogy makes no sense for anything. If I could get other people to pay my pipes to perform with all the readiness of a hooker, that would be da shiznit. Think of it: the set might even be faking it, but the john - pardon me: "client" - probably doesn't care so long as its noises are convincing enough, and the main thing is that, headache or no, all it takes is some money and like a pro at least the damned thing puts out. Of course, that would make me a pimp, but it would solve my problems. And you can bet that yer piper friend isn't so lucky as to have such a magic, if venal, set.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

Oh, that kind of hooker.
I thought you meant the little guy crushed between the two hulking great props in a rugby scrum.
Couldn't quite follow the ramifications of that metaphor either...
(except the pain in the shoulders)