How does Molloy get his sound to pop?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Akiba
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

How does Molloy get his sound to pop?

Post by Akiba »

Just wondering if anyone knows the specific techniques Matt Molloy (even K Crawford) use to get that popping sound in their overall playing. It sounds like they compress the air in the flute so that notes pop out.

Any thoughts?

Jason
Last edited by Akiba on Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juan Pablo Plata
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: How does Molloy get his sound to pop?

Post by Juan Pablo Plata »

Keep some holes closed below (with the right hand), similar to tight fingering in piping. Matt Molloy has been said to be the introducer of piping techniques in flute playing, like the hard D (used a lot actually).
It´s easy to practice that style with a whistle first (particularly, Susatos are very very very effective for this), but with the flute it takes more practice, a focused embouchure and the flute full of air. It´s a very nice effect and it goes very well with triplets, crans and all the ornamentations commonly related to piping world. If you like those flute players and listen lot of pipers like Hannan, Grasso, Potts, Reck, Ennis... just try to play with your right hand down -without altering the tone and tuning, of course-, and the effect will come up easily after a short time.

I use it a lot (I´m heavily influenced by Robbie Hannan, I think -I wish I could play like him, of course-). Download the Willie Week recordings from the Uilleann Obsession web and listen to Hannan. Try to emulate his playing with a whistle as a really effective exercise.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Yes is all about focused embouchure...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

I am wondering as I read this
whether your word "pop"
is the same as what a lot of flute players refer to as "bark" ??

Could you post a youtube link of an example of the sound that you mean?

B

....nobody said this would be easy......

pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

boyd wrote:I am wondering as I read this
whether your word "pop"
is the same as what a lot of flute players refer to as "bark" ??

Could you post a youtube link of an example of the sound that you mean?

B
I think he means crisp ornamentation. Molloy really has a way of making his ornamentation pop.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Pop meaning each note is very distinctive, not just ornaments (though it's most certainly true of those as well). Each note is well defined, seeming to jump out of, or pop out of the flute. It's this popping that give their playing such crunch and bite, not a buzz-saw barking tone. It is similar to a highly skilled piper. I think most fluters notes run together. I'm seeking to have more definition, i.e. pop.
m31

Post by m31 »

I think it's a combination of factors:

1) Ideal tone (bright, lively, harmonically rich)
2) Ideal breath pressure
3) Cleanly executed ornaments (i.e., finger movements and momentary increase in breath pressure)

These aren't mutually exclusive but rather interdependent. They contribute to a well-delineated attack (sharp rise in amplitude) in the note.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Carnegie Hall
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

ok

maybe "crisp" and "clean" articulation
would be more conventional terminology for what you are meaning?

Popping could be confusing.

Molloy has very clean fingering. And impeccable timing, of course.
And maybe 50 years of playing under his belt....

I reckon it takes 8 or 10 years to really get a decent sound out of a flute, for the average soul.
Less maybe if thats all you do, (eg if you are young and have lotsa free time and a brain thats uncluttered and ready to learn)

B

....nobody said this would be easy......

bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Personally I think it boils down to three things:

1. Effective use of cuts
2. Effective use of breath pulsing
3. Effective use of silence

Cuts and breath pulsing in the right places do a lot to make the notes you want to emphasize "pop" out; it requires an understanding of the internal rhythms of the type of tune you're playing.

One of the things that separates great players from us merely good ones is that the greats devote as much care to ending a note as to beginning it; they know how to use the power of silence. Starting a note with a cut and a pulse of breath after the briefest stop gives it more power and clarity.

Have a listen to this wild performance that Matt Molloy gave at the Willie Clancy Week in 1983:

https://idisk.me.com//bhurley/Public/molloy.mp3

He's racing through these tunes, right at the limit of his ability, and yet he makes use of all three of these elements listed above to great effect throughout. The main place where I felt his playing got too blurry is in the first part of the Musical Priest (the third tune) where he tried to shoehorn too many notes in at once and couldn't properly separate them. But there are lots of little silences, almost too short to perceive, in this performance, that help separate the notes, provide clarity, and boost the energy level.
connie

Post by connie »

Thats a great MP3 Brad its like listening to the track on the Stony Steps album with the backing instruments turned down :-)
Last edited by connie on Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

connie wrote:Thats a great MP3 Brad its like listening to the track on the Stony Steps album with the backing instruments turned down :-)
And the speed turned up a notch or two as well.

It's too fast and too crammed full of notes for my taste, but I'm still impressed that he could pull this kind of thing off without it disintegrating into an unarticulated blur. Another thing to notice is that there are a lot of doubled notes here, and Molloy never uses cuts to separate them -- they're all separated with stops, which is the way I like it.
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Remember, too, that Matt's commercial recordings have a different sound than he does in person, or even live on stage. I've long suspected that a second microphone was placed over the fingerholes of his instrument in the studio; this would explain the banjolike, plunky sound you hear on a track like "The Gold Ring" from the black album. It's the sound of Matt's fingers percussively closing the holes, amplified beyond its normal audibility. I suppose you could call that a sort of pop.

Rob
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

bradhurley wrote: Have a listen to this wild performance that Matt Molloy gave at the Willie Clancy Week in 1983:

Holy guacamole! :boggle:

Heads up for the locals: The Chieftains play Raleigh on March 13, 2011. Whole lotta poppin' goin' on!
http://www.pinecone.org/DownHomeCAL.html
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
brotherwind

Post by brotherwind »

bradhurley wrote:
Have a listen to this wild performance that Matt Molloy gave at the Willie Clancy Week in 1983:

More, please... :wink: