Repost of Policies Re: Commercial Posts

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Time for the occasional repost of these guidelines. This isn't prompted by anything in particular.

Dear Chiff & Fipple Friends,

One of the thorniest problems on the message board has been to find a way to deal with the use of the board for commercial purposes by people posting messages. I think it has been difficult to find a good position on this. On the one hand, I think there are those who exploit this free service to promote their business. I object to that, as do many if not most readers of the message board. On the other hand, I really don’t want to stop individuals from selling whistles to each other and using the board to initiate those transactions. Personally, I don’t mind if a person who makes money by selling or making whistles posts an occasional message making us aware of something they have to offer. However, I think it is important that such a person can demonstrate that the majority of their posts are entirely non-commercial. In other words, they are contributing members of the board community. I also think it is critical that their be NOTHING competitive about the message. No “best deals.” Nothing that suggests any superiority over others’ products and services. Nothing that diminishes or belittles the work of competitors.

So, because for the most part I think almost everybody falls well within these guidelines, I’ve taken a pretty tolerant approach to people using the board to get free advertising. Now I am running into this problem: Whenever I allow SOME of this to occur, resentments arise from those who I’ve asked, in the past, to stop posting commercial messages. You get into judgment calls about what constitutes inappropriate use of the board. Regrettably, I think I’m going to have to take a firmer line about this. I am proud of the fact that we’ve not had to ban anyone from the board. Let’s keep it that way. Here are some new guidelines.

1. The blanket policy is this: You may not use the board to promote your business. Exceptions will be made under certain conditions. Some of those will be outlined below. When in doubt, email me and I’ll try to work with you.

2. If you are not in the business of making or selling whistles or other products (of any kind), but you have items such as used instruments you want to offer for sale, you may post two messages. In the first, you describe what is available and you provide your email address and/or phone number. You may not use the message board to receive offers to buy or to negotiate further. Replies to your offer of sale should not be made on the board. Your message should clearly indicate that interested parties should NOT respond on the board. If replies are made on the board anyway, you must respond to them off the board. They will be deleted if and when I see them. When the item is no longer for sale, you may post a message indicating so. Or you can just delete your original post.

3. If you are in the business of making or selling whistles or closely related products, you can announce the availability of new products only. Once and only once. You may not include ANY competitive or self-promotional language.

4. You may post a message on the board that describes your business, avoiding competive language and claims of superior products and services, ONCE A MONTH (not more). I’ll evaluate these announcements for appropriateness and delete them if I see fit. In any message, I recommend that you let it be known that you will email announcements about products and services you render to interested parties on an opt-in basis. In other words, you invite people to email you if they want to hear more about your business. You collect their email addresses and email them as often as you wish and as often as they will permit. You may renew that offer ONCE A MONTH (not more often) on any or all Chiff & Fipple boards.

I’ll repost this occasionally and will also email it to people who may have missed it if and when they post inappropriately.

Sorry to have to do this, but I’m spending way too much time trying to manage this problem.

Thanks!

Dale
elliott

Post by elliott »

Hey Dale: There's a guy on the flute board who's signature is an ad for some book he wrote.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

Uh oh. My sig has an ad for The B-Team!

:wink:
Reasonable person
Walden
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2003-02-10 02:44, Walden wrote:
Uh oh. My sig has an ad for The B-Team!

:wink:
I pity the poor fool who advertises for the B team!
serpent

Post by serpent »

Dang it, Dale! It doesn't cover my asking for test volunteers! I sometimes need brave and true people, willing to volunteer the use of their teensy hands and cast-iron eardrums to test beentsy little whistles that are too small for my big hams, or people whose ham-hands are bigger than mine, or people who have extremely good breath control, or who are still breathing after playing an older Serpent! Don't hamstring me this way, lad!
Cheers, :grin:
serpent

S~< :sad: 4 ~*~
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

On 2003-02-09 19:16, Dale Wisely wrote:
This isn't prompted by anything in particular.
On 2003-02-10 08:19, serpent wrote:
Don't hamstring me this way, lad!
Serp,

I'm not you :smile:, but if I were, I would take Dale at his word. Otherwise, the walls might start talking, you'll find radio transmitters in your toothpaste, and you'll hear the hum of black helicopters everywhere.

Fondly,

Cara
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Hi, Bill.

I didn't read anything in Dale's post that said you can't ask people to try out whistles or help you work out designs, and I read carefully for that. I think it's pretty interesting to watch the development of a new whistle design and see how various people participate.

When you've got a new model to market, then the guidelines would apply, as far as I can tell, and they're set up to give plenty of leeway so you can get the word out.

Seems like Dale's trying to impose as few restrictions as possible.

Best wishes,
Jerry
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.

Post by Guest »

Okay, in response to Mr. Wisely's post I most respectfully withdraw my offer to sell any whistles beyond those I have agreed to ship out. I reiterate that I am not a merchant, but merely a poor soul who got sucked into the moment of accumulating all these stupid whistles when I have only one mouth. I think those who have contracted for the whistles at half price or less appreciate the opportunity to save some money. But alas...
Hope my listing did not cause serious inconvenience to anyone. Have a good one.
TomB

Post by TomB »

I could be reading Dale's post incorrectly, but couldn't you still sell them, complying with Dale's paragraph number 2?
"Consult the Book of Armaments"

Post by Guest »

I dunno TomB, I just don't like to cause any problems. I knew that Mr. Wisely had a non-comm policy of some kind so I hesitated in the first place. I think I will just keep the Abells and box up the rest and send to that nice lady out west who has a kid's camp. Note to myself: confirm charitable status and then take a large tax deduction since you are still a capitalist.
TomB

Post by TomB »

Well, I would suggest you send an email to Dale, asking him straight out what you can or can't do. He is a great guy.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Well, they sound like guidelines I can live with. I host a modest 2 or 3 music workshops a summer, mostly because I like music workshops and it's an excuse to use the ex-husband's ex-woodworking shop. That means I won't get close to the once-a-month limit.

If I have anything to sell, it will go to eBay. But I'm not sure I have enough whistles yet (has anyone established an optimum number?)

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

My understanding is that the optimum number is forty-two. (I don't know if that applies to whistles exactly, but I have it on good authority that it is the answer to life, the universe and everything.)

Best wishes,
Jerry
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

On 2003-02-10 21:52, Jerry Freeman wrote:
My understanding is that the optimum number is forty-two. (I don't know if that applies to whistles exactly, but I have it on good authority that it is the answer to life, the universe and everything.)

Best wishes,
Jerry
Good! I can keep shopping, then.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Unreal Jerry, that intire guide just flashed through my mind. Did you ever see the BBCs` version of it??

Tom

Who knows what is filling the nooks and crannies of this dusty old head cavity.