Which Burke do you prefer?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ChristianRo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChristianRo »

I guess many of you out there are experienced Burke whistle players. I'm thinking of buying a b whistle from him. But what specifications? Composite? Brass? Aluminium? Wide bore? Narrow bore? I prefer a full, round tone not too quiet. Can anyone help me?

Christian
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Hi Christian

I own a Burke Brass D Pro and a Low G Aluminum Pro. And I absolutely love playing both of them. For some unknown reason I prefer the brass to aluminum for the weight, don't ask me why, the D just feels substantial in my hands and I feel I won't drop it when the speed gets going. I have a tendency to finger hard when playing reels and such.

As to the tone quality, the brass and aluminum have there own and I use them differently depending on what I'm playing. The brass I like for its seemingly brightness, quickness and clarity in the top end.

The aluminum I like for its softness, warmth and roundedness in its sound for slower tunes and aires. When playing the aluminum in a session the sound of the Low G really fills the room and takes the edge off all those fiddlers.

If its any help, I am intending purchase in the new year a Low A, and a Low E, and Bb and they all will be in aluminum from Mike.

I have nothing but good things to say about Burke whistles or the man himself. The whistles I do have, I play all the time either at home or in sessions.

Mark

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MarkB on 2001-10-30 12:22 ]</font>
Jeferson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

Wide bore session in brass. I've got that one as well as an aluminum one, and to my ear the brass sounds a tad rounder. Although the aluminum is extremely light, I wouldn't call the brass heavy. Both sound great, though I think your description points to the brass.

Jef
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

IMO Mike's strength lies is his brass whistles. The Composite whistles are too fragile for my liking and, to my ear, his aluminum whistles sound rather bland.

Loren
Tres

Post by Tres »

I like all of Mike's whistles (I have a WBB in D, an AlPro in D and a composite C) The brass and aluminum sound alot alike-- I fluctuate on an almost daily basis as to which I prefer. The Composite has a very round, pure tone with little "chiff". It is also great.

If you want a more "whistly" sound, go for aluminum or brass. If you want a purer flute-like tone, go for a composite. Either way you really can't go wrong.

Enjoy!

Tres
ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

Thanks for your input. If only I could try before you buy...
Christian
Whistleworks

Post by Whistleworks »

Which Burke do I prefer? All of them. Simple as that.

Bob Pegritz