guess the cost of this men's "sporty summer belt"

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

How Much Does this belt cost?

$10-$25
13%
$26-$50
7%
$51-$75
No votes
$76-$100
No votes
$101-$125
7%
$126-$150
7%
$151-$175
No votes
$176-$200
20%
$201-$225
20%
$226-$250
No votes
$251-$275
No votes
$276-$300
No votes
$300+
27%

Total votes: 15

I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Re: guess the cost of this men's "sporty summer belt"

Post by I.D.10-t »

I still remember when I went to the grocery store and found that some of the name brand food was less expensive than the generic. Economy of scale. Some Name brands earn a reputation for quality merchandise, Look at the resale value of cars and often the foreign cars hold their value better due to being known for making a longer lasting product.
Sometimes all three are made at the same factory, by the same workers, with the same materials.
This is what I have a problem with. When a brand becomes more important than the underlying quality and function. One doesn't buy Crest for status, but it is a consistent product of known quality, something that buying a generic brand cannot provide, especially in a mobile society. Doc Martens had me as a customer until their quality started to drop off, even then I used a sharpie to blacken out their signature yellow thread. I am still looking for a quality shoe brand. Sad part is that quality seems to decline with popularity as people sell out their brand name for quick cash.

It might seem like OCD, but I usually cut out the labels that are visible on clothing. I use a seam ripper in the same way that most people remove price tags on clothing. It seems trendy now to have baseball caps with the gold sticker on the bill to show that it is "official". I don't get it, just 5 years ago people wanted dirty old beaten up ball caps.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I have a cousin who wears Prada shoes. And the rest of the family wonders why he's still single. OK, that was off topic.

I think a larger percentage of people buy generic for the things that don't matter to them or to their friends. My in-laws only have the biggest, newest trucks and sporting equipment, and they would go naked before they would wear any jeans but Levi's but they wouldn't know a good quality ham if it hit them over the head and believe me I've tried on that one. And I have no idea how they or anyone else can drink out of those blue and red disposable drinking cups.

I think I would buy a Prada ham no matter what the cost or at least find out what is going on with a Prada ham and find a knock off. I know I would buy a Prada ham at Gabriel Brothers. I would buy two.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Denny

Post by Denny »

I.D.10-t wrote:I don't get it, just 5 years ago people wanted dirty old beaten up ball caps.
Not out here... I've been scowled at for over ten years 'cuss'a me baseball cap.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
dwest

Post by dwest »

I buy Italian cars and bicycles, don't care for the clothes, all flash no class.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

The price I saw on the webpage:
$185
My whole freakin sporty summer wardrobe including boat launching fees and ice for the cooler for the entire summer wouldn't cost $185. My life smackdowns Prada any day.
白飞梦
emmline

Post by emmline »

mutepointe wrote:The price I saw on the webpage:
$185
My whole freakin sporty summer wardrobe including boat launching fees and ice for the cooler for the entire summer wouldn't cost $185. My life smackdowns Prada any day.
I don't know, but I think that should be "smacksdown." It's like the plural of "passerby," "passersby."
Please let's debate this.
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

dwest wrote:I buy Italian cars and bicycles, don't care for the clothes, all flash no class.
Um, sorry, but Bugatti was originally a French company. The name was recently acquired by a certain German firm. What you've shown us in the picture is the world's most expensive Volkswagen. :D
I'm asking you because you're an educated sort of swine. John LeCarre
Denny

Post by Denny »

:D nice voltswagen....but still
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

MikeS wrote:
dwest wrote:I buy Italian cars and bicycles, don't care for the clothes, all flash no class.
Um, sorry, but Bugatti was originally a French company. The name was recently acquired by a certain German firm. What you've shown us in the picture is the world's most expensive Volkswagen. :D
But could this car conveniently carry all of my grocery bags from Walmart? That is what I want to know. I think that I had better stay with my Ford Focus.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

emmline wrote:
mutepointe wrote:The price I saw on the webpage:
$185
I don't know, but I think that should be "smacksdown." It's like the plural of "passerby," "passersby."
There is no need for a plural of smackdown when it comes to me. Once I smackdown, there ain't no getting back up.
白飞梦
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

emmline wrote: I don't know, but I think that should be "smacksdown." It's like the plural of "passerby," "passersby."
If we decide to participate in this debate, and then win, do we get to swim in mute's pool?
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
dwest

Post by dwest »

MikeS wrote:
Ettore Bugatti was Italian, the fact that he lived in France makes no difference, it's Italian design. Now Jean Bugatti was born in Germany, but raised in Italy and France I have no idea what I would call him. But it is safe to say Bugatti is an Italian/French/Spanish/French/German company this week. Yes my wife drives a Volkswagen.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

BillChin wrote:
izzarina wrote:It's Prada.....the name alone puts it above $200 :P
I had a boss that wore Prada high-top sneakers. I was curious and looked up the price, and it was about $220. If it was similar Nike's or Reebok's maybe $80, if it were a no-name store brand, maybe $25. Sometimes all three are made at the same factory, by the same workers, with the same materials.
20-someodd years ago, I had a shirt that was some no-name. A friend had the exact same shirt that was Calvin Klein. I think mine cost about $10, his about $25. Some time later I met someone who worked in a textile factory in South Carolina. I asked her about this, and sure enough, where she worked there were three endstations on each assembly line: One that sewed in a store-brand label, one that sewed in Calvin or something, and one that sewed in Armani or something. I'm sure there was a factor of five or ten difference in price among the three, but outside of the label they were exactly the same. My wife has a friend who bought a Prada hand bag for about $700. I think my wife got her current bag at Kmart or possibly JC Penney for $25. It doesn't speak Italian, but other than that it does everything she needs.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

That stuff is all overpriced crap anyways. Save your money. The letterings are too small for people to read, and if they do squint down to read, it seems like they are looking at your package.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

The Whistle Collector wrote:That stuff is all overpriced crap anyways. Save your money. The letterings are too small for people to read, and if they do squint down to read, it seems like they are looking at your package.
Some would say that alone is worth at least a Benjamin.