Sustainable whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brianholton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Sustainable whistles?

Post by brianholton »

I'm sure some makers have thought about this, and some are no doubt practising what this clarinet maker preaches, but it's still worth reading: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... -clarinets

Fairtrade whistles, anyone?
b
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Sustainable whistles?

Post by Mitch »

Ah yah!

I remember this little item!

All my whistle friends always get a larf outa this! It's part of our standard partay joke-routine!

"Whadda ya call a sustainable logger?
Someone who only cuts down trees to burn!"
"At least he don't freeze his nads off waiting for a better reason to cut down trees!"

"Why do they want to logg teh queen offa the solomon islands?
To stop Generation company making nickel plated whistles!" HAR HAR HAR HAR
really man - you gott abe a whustule to iunderstand that one .. it's a bit of an "in-joke"
Cos teh trad owners of teh solomon islands wanna log Queen ebony to stop all their islands being strip mined for nickel!!! That way, at least they can feed their children, but they all dream of driving rollers!! HAR HAR HAR HAR!!!!

and:

"How much wood is used in whistles, flutes, clarintes, oboes and any other musical instrument?
LESS THAN 0.01%!!!!
and how much nickel?
heheheheh less than 0.0000001% !! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA
o-megod .., I think I jsut developed a crack!!!!!

I think you better get some truth in your speil Monsure Breeeaaaarrrn!

All the blackwood went into rich guys boats .. and all the nickel goes into your disposable evereadies so you can text each other like insane parrots!

We sticks are in awe of your sense of fashion! Best we get if is if someone uses us for a 50-meter boat-keel!

(forgive my typos .. I'm a stick, even tho I got prophylactic stump, I gotta jump up and doewn on this keyboard and caps are a pain cos I gotta jump on the caps-lock each time .. )

If ya really wanna know - talk to Brian Christie - brian@sitcoustralia.com.au and learn the truth. He'll let you know all about the queen of sticks (Xanthostemon malanoxylon) .. but all my whistle mates think it's just another version of "whatever hapened to True West Indies Cocus?? They all sailing the caribean encrusted in molusks!! HA HAHAHAHA HAAARRR!"

Lerve ya sentiment - it's verraaayy fashion-noble right now .. por mois, I'll take Prada any day - my stump is Prada!, But my specs were made by Nasa! You got a little catchin-up to do!

Don' worry - you'll get there one day!
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

When I ordered my wooden whistle I asked about sources of the wood. The maker was very helpful, and had thought about this aspect very carefully. In the end I chose damson wood, sourced from a tree (in rural France I think) that was being removed for reasons other than timber harvest.

It may not represent a big reduction in the black wood harvest, but at least I am not contributing to it.

I do think, however, the choice of whistle wood has a miniscule impact compared to other lifestyle choices (transport, food, heating).
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
ahogrelius
Tell us something.: I'm just trying to update my profile. I need to change my location since I no longer is living in Sweden. I'm still playing the whistle though for the most time I'm just a lurker on the Chiff and Fipple board.

Post by ahogrelius »

Playing the whistle is environmentally friendly; -The air is 100% recyclable... :D
If tin whistles are made of tin, what are foghorns made of?
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

If stick still had roots, Mitch might consider medicating the soil. (Or maybe he just did. Something's afoot lately.)

I'm guessing all the wooden whistles in the world add up to a clump of trees that might fit in my backyard. Not such a major ding on the environment. Besides many of these were built from wood recycled from past uses. My Hoover mahogany G used to be a table leg, or something.

Good hardwood never dies, it just cracks up. Right Stick?
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Ahhh <wistful-sigh>

I have some good memories of close friends in teh poplar crew .. partay animarrrls every one!
Some of them went on to be wooden-legs. There's a trendy envro-conspiracy for you!!! Teh lame are conspiring to denude the world of Poplaaaarrrrrs!!!! Stop them before it's too late - the lame and all teh damn evil amputees should be rounded up and roundly pilloried over the environmental damage they do!!! And end the prophylactic consiracee to denude your avenues!!!

That one works!! You can lay all kinds of crap on tehm and they'll never catch you in a sprint!! You can be as fashion-noble as you like! Even better - you can youtube how some damn double amputee got after you and tried to whack you with one of his stumps before you called in an air-strike! .. It's got action! It's got drama! It works in a 10-second "news" item syndicated globally!!!! But most of all!!! --> it's safe cos the amputees got nothing you need and can hardly fight back!! Safe as enviro-chique houses - looks great on your resume - and everyone thanks you for saving tehm feeling sorry for the less fortunate!!! I LOVE it!!!

Hang on - stop press!!! I just worked it all out! The whistle makers are all colluding to dominate teh Solomons!!! first they plan to convert all the Queen ebony to billions of whistles, then they plan to strip mine the place for nickel-plated cheapies, then they got bases to launch WMD attacks against the entire Pacific rim!!!!

I have a copy of their project plan!! .. aparently it's in 5 stages:
1. log out all the Solomon blackwood over few months.
2. make a zillion whisltes
3. strip mine the islands for all the nickel ( and dont' forget .. where there's nickel there's silver! Gotta keep the high-end covered as well!)
4. ?
5. Make tons of cash and drive Rollers!

Funny, .. this looks like something teh Underpants-Gnomes did . never mind, I'm sure they'll get phase 4 worked out soon enough!

Well - they seem to have teh Generation and Feadog whistle companies on-board .. but DAMN them BP/Halliburton Basmatis!!!! all teh oil for the plastic whistle heads is washing up on Florida right now!!! BP and Haliburton better watch their backs!! They got whistle-makers on their asses now .. I pitty tha foools!!!!!

(You heard it FIRST! from -> Stick)
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Mack.Hoover

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Dear Stick,
I purchased two pieces of African blackwood with which to make whistles. Yes, I regret to say one became a whistle, but I can't allow myself to misuse the other. What am I to do?
Miserable maker Mack
Impempe

Post by Impempe »

I was looking to purchase a few logs of African Blackwood, I checked out the company and they seem to be following the rules....

How many whistles do you think I could get out of this lot? Sorry stick - close your eyes....
Democracy without morality is impossible. Jack Kemp
UncleChuck
Tell us something.: I am interested in making whistles. I have been doing it for years, and I have finally started to get good at it.

Post by UncleChuck »

Stick wrote:Ahhh <wistful-sigh>
<<snip>>
I make whistles out of brA$$ sometimes...
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

spalpeen wrote:
<<snip>>
Are they still wearable?
Anomylous

Post by Anomylous »

hoopy mike wrote:
spalpeen wrote:
<<snip>>
Are they still wearable?
First thought: Ouch...

Second thought: Can you wear it and play it at the same time?
pipsqueak

Post by pipsqueak »

Fairtrade whistles, anyone?
You could resque a few pieces of electric conduit tubing from some demolition site, and make your own, fashionably recycled.