What's so amusing?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: What's so amusing?

Post by Nanohedron »

Gordon wrote:Electric guitars are supposedly female - body shape and all...
Good point (aside from that poke-outy neck located from where it usually would be on the player's body and boinging all over the place). This one's in a Jetsons-style dress, waving "Hi":

Here's an androgynous tomboy grrrl copping the MC Hammer pants look:

Gordon wrote:...and we didn't play tunes with names like Johnny with the Queer Thing...
Well, that's what Mott The Hoople was for, right?

Uh......but then, maybe that was before your time.....(*chagrined grimace*)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Nanohedron wrote: Well, that's what Mott The Hoople was for, right?

Uh......but then, maybe that was before your time.....(*chagrined grimace*)
Nope, it wasn't... O'Carolyn was before my time.
Denny

Post by Denny »

true fer most of us, I'd think
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Not trying to start an I-f*rt-more-dust-than-you-lot contest, but you know...I'm starting to get the impression lately that the trilobite was before my time. Only just barely.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

ya ever tried ta play yer flute fer half an hour without realizing that it goes better if ya put yer teeth in first?

'course by the time ya find 'em ya've misplaced the flute.... :tomato:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:ya ever tried ta play yer flute fer half an hour without realizing that it goes better if ya put yer teeth in first?
No! Tell us about it. We want graphic detail, analogies, similes, metaphors, gnarly bits, others' comments, and searing revelations of the soul.
Denny

Post by Denny »

soul? I think that's been gone for a while now...

Anything else I can get ya?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, yeah. Like, the rest of it. You know...stuff like, does the flute head keep migrating to the back where the jaw-hinge is? Do lip and mouth muscles have the strength to stand in for the teeth? And if so, is that even a good idea? Are there funny flubbering noises? Drool?
Denny

Post by Denny »

how many guesses do ya want?

where did everyone else go?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Oh, never mind them.
Denny

Post by Denny »

I'm fine, really....I can always go out in the rain and chat up one of the horses :shock:
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Nanohedron wrote:
s1m0n wrote:I'm talking sociology, not linguistics.
I know that, and am preferring to cover the topic that way. I hoped that with my last grammatical-gender screed we could end it and move on. But, let the linguistics mavens sail their own boat if they must miss this one.
if you both persist in this (despite my gracious desisting over the last two pages)
I must point out that, in my post, the linguistic gender point was just an aside
BECAUSE the rest of my post went on in a FRESH paragrpah to touch on the "sociology" of s1mon's post. Namely, I raised the evidence of BUddhist art in cave paintings in India
showing nubile maidens playing "SS" flutes.

And, getting back to the topic (and obliquely, as is my wont)
those who view the flute as phallic may indeed be amused by a bloke taking it up
whereas those who transcend gender judgements may more readily be mused.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

talasiga wrote:...the linguistic gender point was just an aside
BECAUSE the rest of my post went on in a FRESH paragrpah to touch on the "sociology" of s1mon's post. Namely, I raised the evidence of BUddhist art in cave paintings in India
showing nubile maidens playing "SS" flutes.
Yeah, I understood that. I think what's been sort of lost in this whole discussion is the issue, in Western society (for certainly in the OP it was a Westerner raising the issue being faced with experiences within his own cultural norms - for he brought up no others, if I'm not mistaken), of men playing flutes and that being seen as somehow suspect, a nonmasculine choice of instrument. Thinking more on this, frankly I find phallic associations to be at best secondary (if that), usually played out in puerile jokes, but unless I'm utterly clueless, I don't think that's the primary point in the often-encountered idea that fluteplaying is a pursuit for those men who are probably windowdressers at least on the sly. No, I think it's something else: personally - and I realise that this is probably an opinion that may cast me in an unattractive light - I blame the Classical tradition and the French developments in the instrument, and the ethereally saccharine qualities of music that the modern flute seems to never, ever, escape. It's almost as if it's supposed to be always glassy and lovely and darling. After all, in the Classical tradition the English developments fell out of favor for being too dark (and I would suggest by extension, gnarly, and by further extension, at least potentially "masculine"). It is primarily the English design that has carried over into the Irish tradition which enthusiastically adopted it precisely because its darker tone fit so well, and there are male - and female - players aplenty in the Gaelic tradition who like their flutes to bark and growl and bristle with overtones. Nothing precious about that sort of music, but it's also very much a minority flute tradition, so I think the general presumption of a pursuit of precious aesthetics is cast there as well but without thought despite the auditory evidence: all you need is a transverse tube, and the die is cast.

The Classical tradition in the West is the one that nonmusicians know best whether they realise it or not, all around. It only follows that the Classical flute tradition is going to be the reference point for most people.

Now before I get flamed for this, I have no distaste for the Classial tradition or for the French per se; I also know full well and firsthand that a good modern silver flute can do almost all that the simple-sytem flute can do, and in some things, more; and that a well-made "English" simple-system wooden flute can sound as precious as Croesus' undies if the player likes. But these flutes nevertheless have been assigned cultural norms, seldom crisscrossing them, and in the West the Classical flute tradition with its typical sound is by far the largest, eclipsing all. Thus my thoughts on the matter.

Okay, here goes nothing. *submit*
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

talasiga wrote:.......
And, getting back to the topic (and obliquely, as is my wont)
those who view the flute as phallic may indeed be amused by a bloke taking it up
whereas those who transcend gender judgements may more readily be mused.
this was the portion of my last post (being the half of it)
that I consider "on topic" but I have not seen any response to it
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Flutes as a ladies instrument in western tradition is no older than the Boehm flute. Before then, associations would have been mostly male; to the male virtuosi like Nicholson or to military marching bands. There were parlour instruments seen as suitable for women in the nineteenth C and earlier - guitar was one, as were harpsichords/virginals etc, but flutes weren't among them. It'd be interesting to find out if this shift is one that can be seen reflected in the 19th C fluting lit. Terry is likely the boardmember who's read the deepest in it. I wonder if he knows?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis