Did I breach etiquette?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Did I breach etiquette?

Post by peeplj »

Seems to me it would have been just as easy to answer as "you are one of the makers I am considering for a future purchase."

Why burn bridges? After all, your first choice could have taken ill or otherwise become unavailable...and you might still want a flute from the fella in the future someday, anyway. On the flip side, if you wouldn't consider a particular maker's instruments, why would you lend their opinion any particular weight?

I don't think anything too drastic really happened here on either side of the exchange--it would be a mistake to blow it up and make it look bigger than it is.

Just my $.02.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
rama
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

emmdee wrote: He then asked me if I was planning on buying a flute from him. I told him no, that I had a specific maker in mind and explained that I had asked several makers because I respected makers' opinions, but that I wasn't planning to buy a flute from him and I appreciated him taking the time to email me back.
m.d.
peeplj wrote: Seems to me it would have been just as easy to answer as "you are one of the makers I am considering for a future purchase."
james, you must be great in bed.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Why isn't everybody practicing instead of wasting even more time on this stupid thread?

Me too.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

No bridges burned as far as I am concerned. There are only a few people I refuse to make flutes for (such as the CEO of BP right now). But not the people replying to this topic who said words to the effect that they would never order from such a grouchy maker as I (they based their responses on incomplete information).

Again, my point in that final reply in the exchange was to "educate the masses."

Just a few guidelines, based on my own experience and that of other makers:

If you already have an instrument on order from someone, but need a second opinion - do not ask other makers to weigh in. One should figure things out before the purchase decision. Once you have placed an order - please ask the maker to help you with any decision or confusion.

If you need a second opinion about a flute on order from someone - inform the makers you are asking about this up front. Do not mislead and say you "are looking for a flute". Give us at least a fighting chance to refuse to be involved in other peoples' business.

Be aware that we are sometimes swamped with inquiries and questions and have other duties such as making the flutes in our queues - thus our answers are commonly terse, but usually to the point.

Also, its the economy stupid. We are concerned with making every moment count. We need to earn an income, not subsidize other peoples' hobbies and passions at our own expense. The current financial conditions are putting the squeeze on flute makers as well as everybody. I wish I had the luxury to talk about the finer points of boxwood all day. Unfortunately I have a mortgage and bills and a daughter who's college expenses I am paying.

Casey
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Casey Burns wrote:I'll come out in the open and mention that I am the "offending" flute maker. Its time to tell my side of the story.
I knew it! :D
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Denny

Post by Denny »

Casey Burns wrote:Unfortunately I have a mortgage and bills and a daughter who's college expenses I am paying.
Speakin' of etiquette, never mention daughters.

Someone is gonna ask for pictures next,

probably with a sound clip...
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Jon C. wrote "I knew it!"

Yes, there are quite a few of us offending flute makers here!

Casey
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Julia Delaney wrote:Why isn't everybody practicing instead of wasting even more time on this stupid thread?

Me too.
I'm reading this thread and practicing at the same time. Working on Munster Grass (or Bacon)...cool tune.

Casey, you are in the right. Now get back to your flute queue--your paying customers are waiting :thumbsup: .
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Can't I have any fun, too?
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Can anyone find an emoticon with a smiley driving a stake into a thread?

Best wishes,

S.O.B.
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
m31

Post by m31 »

Flaming is a breach of netiquette...but it is good for hot popcorn and an excuse not to practice. :poke:
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Julia Delaney wrote:Why isn't everybody practicing instead of wasting even more time on this stupid thread?

Me too.
That would pretty much end this whole forum, doncha think?

Seems to me an awful lot of time, 9 pages or something, was wasted disparaging a tune app recently, until the original poster decided it wasn't such a bad thing after all. I didn't contribute. Too busy practicing, and I don't even know what a tune app is.
Denny

Post by Denny »

yeah?! and what made Vermont decide y'all should have Internet access in the first place? :P
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Me too.

Let me attempt to snap you out of your egocentric, self righteous, albeit feigned humourous, dig with these facts:-

in my case I find it hard to play flute or whistle or harmonium or sing WHILE I AM EATING which is my usual time for indulging in these forums.

The exceptions to these usual times for indulgence are days when I am too sick to practice such as if I have a bad flu with associated asthma (right now) or if I had exerted myself too much on a previous day at rehearsal or performance (amateur) or even, an inspired 2 hour flute practice session, and I am suffereing for it - stiff shoulder, or suchlike.

Another reason I may not be practicing at any given point is that I have already practiced
on that day:
* 1 hour Boehm (currently learning D Hijaz Kar/Bhairav)
* 30 minutes Irish flute
* 30 minutes whistle (by the sea)
* 1 hour bamboo flute
* 2 hours of singing/composing and harmonium practice
* 1 hour microtonal singing with tamboura (usually dawn or earlier).

That, Julia, is my current minimum music practice goal daily except Sundays and only illness or extended family committments such as aged care or babysitting grandchild in emergencies (and associated travel) interferes with it.

So, when you see me here, rest assured, it is not at the expense of my musical development but a discursive complement to it.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

talasiga wrote:

Me too.

Let me attempt to snap you out of your egocentric, self righteous, albeit feigned humourous, dig with these facts:-

in my case I find it hard to play flute or whistle or harmonium or sing WHILE I AM EATING which is my usual time for indulging in these forums.

The exceptions to these usual times for indulgence are days when I am too sick to practice such as if I have a bad flu with associated asthma (right now) or if I had exerted myself too much on a previous day at rehearsal or performance (amateur) or even, an inspired 2 hour flute practice session, and I am suffereing for it - stiff shoulder, or suchlike.

Another reason I may not be practicing at any given point is that I have already practiced
on that day:
* 1 hour Boehm (currently learning D Hijaz Kar/Bhairav)
* 30 minutes Irish flute
* 30 minutes whistle (by the sea)
* 1 hour bamboo flute
* 2 hours of singing/composing and harmonium practice
* 1 hour microtonal singing with tamboura (usually dawn or earlier).

That, Julia, is my current minimum music practice goal daily except Sundays and only illness or extended family committments such as aged care or babysitting grandchild in emergencies (and associated travel) interferes with it.

So, when you see me here, rest assured, it is not at the expense of my musical development but a discursive complement to it.
Tsk! No Bodhran practice? :poke:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon