thoughts on Eb vs. C midsection?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

thoughts on Eb vs. C midsection?

Post by tin tin »

I'm mulling the idea of expanding my palate with a corps de rechange for my D flute--either Eb or C. I'm open to arguments for or against either. What are your thoughts/preferences?
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Re: thoughts on Eb vs. C midsection?

Post by Rob Sharer »

Arguments for each:

Eb - Easier BY FAR to play than D, so it takes you to that place where the whole air column is excited and buzzing with much less effort. When you switch back to D, you'll know what it's supposed to feel like in full cry. This is like that machine the Olympic swimmers use to drag themselves down the pool at world record time, just to see how it feels.

C - Aside from the lovely, low tones a C flute makes, practicing hitting a low C will make D seem easy by comparison. This is like training at high altitude, then coming back to sea level.

I suggest that you get one of each!

Rob
Denny

Post by Denny »

the hedonist approach :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Woof!
Liney Bear

Post by Liney Bear »

Rob Sharer wrote:Arguments for each:

Eb - Easier BY FAR to play than D, so it takes you to that place where the whole air column is excited and buzzing with much less effort. When you switch back to D, you'll know what it's supposed to feel like in full cry. This is like that machine the Olympic swimmers use to drag themselves down the pool at world record time, just to see how it feels.

C - Aside from the lovely, low tones a C flute makes, practicing hitting a low C will make D seem easy by comparison. This is like training at high altitude, then coming back to sea level.

I suggest that you get one of each!

Rob

Agreed. Get one of each. I did and not a day goes by that I don't celebrate that decision.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

In part this will be determined by the people with whom you play: do you play much at all either in C or in Eb sessions?
If you could get just the one I'd say get the C. It's harder to play than the D flute and will improve your playing on the D. You will certainly have more opportunity to play in the key of C than you will in Eb. So it will be more useful in that regard.
The Eb is easier to play than either the D or the C, but playing the Eb, while great fun, will make the D seem a bit harder and a tad less responsive. You can always get the Eb later if there is a need.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
m31

Post by m31 »

Are mix-and-match flutes as good (intonation, responsiveness) as dedicated ones? My C plays as easily as my D flute, including the bell note.
andyras3

Post by andyras3 »

Hi Tintin,

I've just had an Eb body made for my Hammy. I have to say it's great, but there are physical limitations dependent on the diameter of the head, so you might want to check with the manufacturer to find out which is more feasible. My head needs completely pushed in to hit the Eb with my embochure a more attacking embrochure gives you a few more mm's to play with. Hammy also managed to modify my case to take the D & E'b bits, just incase an impromptu Eb session were to start. :)

The Eb is addictive and is great to play along with recordings with, very few Eb sessions in my part but I'm trying to get one going.

I now want a 'C' body or considering a Bb flute. :-) thats just the way it is...

BOL

Andy
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

My C plays as easily as my D flute, including the bell note.

I only have a crappy Olwell. What can you expect....
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

You poor fellow.

Rob
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

C... more training, more chance to actually use it (for D dorian tunes, quite common in fiddle repertoire), lovely tone.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

if i had to choose one, i vote for a c-section, for more practical reasons. it gives birth to a cross section of tunes that sit well on c flute, seemingly tailored made. and although might be doable on a 'd' flute but at times a bit awkward (for example using fnat bnat cnat keys). yet when you play them on a c flute the fingering is more straightfoward.
whereas for me e-flat is a fun pitch for a flute (bright loud fast) but it doesn't seem to help me much with accessing (itm) tunes, it's just a fun pitch to play the more normal standard tunes.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Thanks for the input--clear as mud! (Actually, all the comments are quite helpful.)
There aren't specifically any Eb or C sessions in these parts, but there are people with whom I could play at either pitch. However, most playing in Eb or C would probably be at home on my lonesome. It would be more for a change of flavor than for any 'useful' purpose.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I had an Eflat midsection made for my D flute, now I'm wishing I'd had a C made instead. Not that I don't enjoy the Eflat -- it's kind of like having a Miata rather than my Subie. I like the mellow sound of the C flute, though, as I'd sometimes like to have a pickup truck.

It's a good excuse for another trip down to lovely Nelson County.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

1. Buy the new Catherine McEvoy, Caoimhin O Raghallaigh, & Michael O Raghallaigh "Comb Your Hair and Curl It" CD.

2. Buy the C AND the Eb (b/c after hearing this CD you'll NEVER be able to decide :-D )

Although knowing you I wouldn't be surprised if you find yourself spending a little more time with a C :-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.