The ability to suspend disbelief

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
hans
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

The ability to suspend disbelief

Post by hans »

"When you suspend disbelief you are prepared to believe anything and this opens up the scope for seeing more possibilities.

"Creativity is certainly about not being constrained by rules or accepting the restrictions that society places on us. Of course the more people break the rules, the more likely they are to be perceived as 'mentally ill'."

"Creativity is akin to insanity, say scientists who have been studying how the mind works.

Brain scans reveal striking similarities in the thought pathways of highly creative people and those with schizophrenia.

Both groups lack important receptors used to filter and direct thought.

It could be this uninhibited processing that allows creative people to "think outside the box", say experts from Sweden's Karolinska Institute.

In some people, it leads to mental illness.

But rather than a clear division, experts suspect a continuum, with some people having psychotic traits but few negative symptoms. "

Read the (BBC) article:
Creative minds 'mimic schizophrenia'

It confirms what I always thought. There are no clear boundaries.

Now I wonder if fewer Dopamine D2 receptors could result in a higher Dopamine production in order to achieve a satisfied state of mind, to compensate (at times when one wants to switch off the painful creative processes).
emmline

Re: The ability to suspend disbelief

Post by emmline »

An interesting notion. One of the most worthwhile museums in Baltimore is The Visionary Arts Museum, which has as one of its raison d'êtres the featuring of compelling work by artists who are on the right end of the
creative--->crazy continuum.

I will be going back soon, as I won 6 passes in a recent silent auction at my kid's school, which is a school for kids who are on the right end of the learn-well-in-mainstream-educational-settings---->don't continuum.
Denny

Post by Denny »

hans wrote:It confirms what I always thought. There are no clear boundaries.
I like that Hans, it is so much more polite than my "well d'uh, nuther government grant?"
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

"Some companies have "skunk works" - secure, secret laboratories for their highly creative staff where they can freely experiment without disrupting the daily business."

Not just government grants!

As to creative musical expression: is this not just another form of not being at peace, being unsatisfied with the world and being driven to changing it, expressing one's inner musical landscape or cloudscape or whatever-you-call-it.
Denny

Post by Denny »

I was fortunate to have spent much of my career in skunk works.
hans wrote:As to creative musical expression: is this not just another form of not being at peace, being unsatisfied with the world and being driven to changing it, expressing one's inner musical landscape or cloudscape or whatever-you-call-it.
yep, as long as that new age stuff isn't called music :lol:

Did you listen to this viewtopic.php?f=10&t=66256&start=377
no often I've been so taken with a trombone.... :lol:
hans

Post by hans »

Thanks Denny! I hadn't listen to Sophie Hunger before. That goes under the skin.

Yes, music, not new-agey stuff.
And better not to take serious what the critics write, like this crap from the TED page:
Indie newcomer Sophie Hunger's haunting vocals -- at once fragile and soulful -- carried her wistful, blues-dappled acoustic folk from intimate cafe appearances to extraordinary word-of-mouth success and cross-Europe tours.
... Sophie Hunger's music lures us to a hidden place in the fog where memories visit, enchanting and mournful...
oh oh
Denny

Post by Denny »

marketing :really: :lol:
hans

Post by hans »

Denny wrote:marketing :really: :lol:
Yes, TED's marketing itself, not Sophie Hunger.

Just read two interviews with her, in German. In one she said about reviews of her music:
[my translation from planet interview]

Interviewer: Most probably try to classify your music, to categorize it.
Hunger: Absolutely. But actually only journalists do that, ordinary people don't. Most people who go to concerts for the very simple reason: because they like hearing it. For us musicians it is really almost just that: one is playing music, because one likes to do it, because one likes to hear it. It is .... I do not know what, but it is something simple. Basically, making music is something very simple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1srDNADUTSY
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

hans wrote:
"Creativity is akin to insanity, say scientists who have been studying how the mind works.
I don't disbelieve this, but I find it totally bizarre. Kind of a pot-calling-the-kettle-black statement.

The reason I say this is that I think creativity is what sets the great scientist from the good one, or the good one from the mediocre one. Think about it. Einstein equating mass and energy, Darwin and his finches, even Feynman and his ice water. What sets these guys apart from some good but unknown geek? Their creativity and ability to think outside the box, to challenge then-current assumptions.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Denny

Post by Denny »

I'm not sure that it is "thinking outside of the box"

maybe it's just being able to put enough of a box around some of your thoughts that others can understand them

the box comes latter, it is an attempt to make it understandable to others
most people don't like things that are not labeled and sorted
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

"The lunatic, the lover, and the poet
Are of imagination all compact."

Will the Shake had this figured out a few years ago.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

My metaphor would be setting up an internal 'virtual machine' in your head, like software than can help a computer processor emulate another chip's architecture.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

hans wrote:
As to creative musical expression: is this not just another form of not being at peace, being unsatisfied with the world and being driven to changing it, expressing one's inner musical landscape or cloudscape or whatever-you-call-it.
It was George Bernard Shaw who said (with his tongue in his cheek) "All change results from the irrational man, because the rational man accepts the world the way it is".
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
hans

Post by hans »

Innocent Bystander wrote: It was George Bernard Shaw who said (with his tongue in his cheek) "All change results from the irrational man, because the rational man accepts the world the way it is".
Yes, the rational man may only accept the world as he thinks it is, little does he know! He wouldn't be so accepting otherwise!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Fudge, I say. One wants to know how these folks defined 'creativity.' Consider the vastly
different sorts there are.

Probably the greatest musical
genius of all time, Bach, was a conventional normal guy in his life, whose musical genius consisted largely
in deploying widely accepted conventions better than anybody else. 'Thinking outside the box' fooey.
The thalamus mediates sensory input. That people get more unmediated smells, feels, sights
really doesn't plausibly make for new and different thoughts
or extraordinary intellectual or mathematical or scientific ability.

I expect that mental illness and 'creativity' flow from very different sources. I've known
extraordinarily creative people in science, philosophy and math, many of whom were really squares, some of whom
were nerds. Nothing like DALI,
upon whom these guys, or the media, seize. For every creative loony there
are five creative nerds.