Is your musical heritage important to your piping?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Is your musical heritage important to your piping?

Post by rorybbellows »

I ask this because I have no musical heritage that I know of, in fact I don’t know of any of my extended family that plays a musical instrument . I have always as far as I can remember been trying to play some sort of musical instrument but I never really gained any proficiency on any of them. Would I have been a better piper if my family were more musical ?
What is your own musical heritage and do you think it has made a difference to the level at which you play the pipes?

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
TheSilverSpear
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Is your musical heritage important to your piping?

Post by TheSilverSpear »

No.
Uilleann915

Post by Uilleann915 »

I say no....I am a guitarist, a singer, & I dabble in piano, tin whistle, & harmonica. (By dabble I mean I should really stop playing video games and learn to play them well.) NONE of my family for generations past had any musical inclinations. If it is within you, and you love it, then follow that.

I will say my heritage is heavily Irish....so that combined with falling in love with the pipes the 1st time I heard them explains my overwhelming itch to start in uilleann piping....
"....if I had known then, what I know now...." e.v.
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Hey Rory!!!!
by heritage do you mean "whether your ancestors played music" or do you mean something more cultural or environmental?
I don't suppose it matters too much if a relative played but you never really were exposed to him or her.
But those that grow up with music are definitely at an advantage
It sorta becomes "assumed" that the young ones will play
And maybe the standards expected and achieved are different
I am thinking of a few specific families there...the Mulcahies?
Or Mick O'Brien's family....both the one he grew up in and the one he has himself produced.
The Potts family.
The McSherry family.
The Brownes
Lotsa musical siblings in that lot....you have probably only heard of the famous ones.

I'm afraid the rest of us will navigate the music by a different route, and with a lot less access to the sort of knowledge and understanding and contacts that a musical family will have.
Sean Potts has spoken to me about what it was like to grow up with Paddy Moloney and the boys jamming in the front room on a weekly basis, year in, year out......and what sort of influence his fiddle playing uncle had on him, or the family tradition of piping.
so don't tell me that sorta experience and culture/mindset/heritage doesnt make a difference, lol!!
Boyd

(I always thought I had no musical heritage to speak of......recently discovered that wasnt exactly true
but there was no music in the house when I was growing up , so... :-? )

....nobody said this would be easy......

Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

Rory ye belong to the greatly extended musical and not quite so musical family of Uilleann Pipers :really:
Noo stop asking fecking stupid questions and get on wi yer practice :wink:
Love and Peace to the World and all that.... :love:
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Uilliam wrote:
Noo stop asking fecking stupid questions
But if I dont ask stupid questions who will ?

By musical heritage I mean the desire or talent to play music that you may have inherited from your parents or grandparents. I was just thinking in my own case that I have had a life long desire to play music but I dont think I have the talent to back it up.
One reason could be that not having parents who play music I was never encouraged to take lessons on any of the instruments that I was messing around with at any time and if I had taken lessons it might have made a difference.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

For me it's certainly not in the family. No one in my family has any musical talent, other than my sister who played piano and sang when she was young, but quite before she turned 20. Although, I've been surrounded by music my whole life, my father having worked in a record store in the early 70's, and when I wanted to start, they supported me fully, even with my endeavours in death metal drumming and the likes.
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

rorybbellows wrote: But if I dont ask stupid questions who will ?
I suppose I could.... eh.... for a little while.
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

There is that popular expression:

"Nurture, not nature."

......Says it all!
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

In my case it was very important. My mother´s father was Franconian and played "Zither" (sort of dulcimer (with dronestrings!)). He moved here (North) cause there was work here after WWI, married and stayed for good. He gave up the "Zither", cause the North has no musical tradition, but - unusual over here for a "working class person" - he bought a piano and organized lessons for my mother.

On a wider (off topic) level the "family-nucleus" seems to supply you with a sort of "open ear" for the traditions of your region, which I find a very important counter to the "umph...umph...umph - globalisation". Whats the use of travelling abroad? All the (inner) bigger citys (already meanwhile) look exactly the same and exactly play the same "umph...umph".
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

As my brother & I came into our teens, it became apparent that there was certainly a musical gene floating around in the DNA, as we both seem to have come with the built-in ability to
play by ear with no training. (guitar at the time)

It greatly helped launch me into other instruments, and I'm humbly thankful to God for the gift.
It seems to be mainly my mom who has the musical gene, though on the fathers' side comes the Scottish/Irish connection a few generations back & that's where I claim my love for things Celtic...as it were.

:)
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

Hi Rory,

There's a great book that delves into why people play music, and what makes some better than others. It's called This is Your Brain on Music. It's written by studio guitarist, record producer, and neuroscientist Daniel Levitin.

Mr. Levitin says "music runs in families the same way that French does." That is, if you play a musical instrument (or speak French) you are more likely to pass that skill on to your children than someone who doesn't. But if you look at children who are separated from their parents at birth, there is no evidence to support the notion of DNA playing an important role.
Jarlath.I
Tell us something.: I'm an uilleann piper currently living in Sitka AK. I am looking for information on piping and am looking forward to meet other pipers.

Post by Jarlath.I »

I have no musical heritage on my father’s side. My mother played violin in high school, which I found out later in life, as I never heard her play. My brothers and I were, however, encouraged to play instruments, and practice daily to improve our playing. This was the ticket we needed to become better musicians. In a “musical” household, a young musician might emulate the playing and practicing of their parents, but I believe that good playing comes from the playing itself.

In my experience, there are those who have a natural gift to play an instrument (genetics?), others do not. I have seen those musicians who have that gift and never apply themselves, and are terrible musicians. I have also seen those who have little or no natural talent, but work their butts off and become excellent musicians, and very successful.

So the question if musical heritage is important - yes, if that's what motivates you to play. But if you love the instrument, you will probably play anyway. A non-musician, or person from a non-musical family, just needs to know that this is a lifestyle. You can't pick the pipes up once in a blue moon and think that you will become Seamus Ennis, because even for a player with a natural ability, it ain't happening.

The next step, if you are not in a musical family where musical information is not readily available, is to find a teacher. My own experience with piping is you cannot teach yourself. Videos and books with CDs help, but are no substitute for a real teacher. …but that’s another topic.
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

You can't pick the pipes up once in a blue moon and think that you will become Seamus Ennis, because even for a player with a natural ability, it ain't happening.

Well said there , I think
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

You can't pick up anything once in a bluemoon and become "anyone" other than a dabbler.

Patsy Touhy, Ennis, all the greats were all...lets say...."no so great" to put it very delicately, at one point. Just like anyone who became great, they all put in the mandatory 1000s of hrs. pushing to perfecting their craft.
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!