vPipes Update (a letter from them to me)

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Brazenkane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

vPipes Update (a letter from them to me)

Post by Brazenkane »

I wanted to share a letter from vPipes that I just got today. I think it is important to show their side of things.

Hi Padraig

The construction of the vPipes-Uilleann has actually been finished some time ago as per our original finish date (end of April) and we are now only waiting for one single component to carry out final assembly and ship to the respective clients, many of whom, like you, have preferred to pay the full amount in advance.

We have been contacting this particular supplier every day for the last two weeks and they are unable to locate the batch they say that has been sent. In order to avoid any more delays we have decided to visit the supplier directly to pick up a new batch of components as we don't want to risk air-transport or any third-party transport problems at this critical stage.

Please don't hesitate to contact us at your convenience and we shall be happy to keep you informed as to the progress we make. Please note that the supplier we will be visiting in person is located in Denmark and we shall be setting out tomorrow. As far as we can gather, there should be no problem whatsoever in getting the vPipes to you well before the 20th June.

We are obviously very let down by this delay and we appreciate everybody's patience in this matter.

Should you have any questions please let me know.

Regards

RmC
The vPipes Project
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
ferris54

Re: vPipes Update (a letter from them to me)

Post by ferris54 »

Umm, think they are just buying themselves a couple more weeks time to re-locate premises. I wish you luck,
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

ferris, if you know something, by all means please share it with the rest of the class. Otherwise, the headmaster has a chair waiting for you.

I do hope vPipes thought to send this letter to everyone who is waiting.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

Indeed. If you know something, say it. If your spouting off, then save it.
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

Update:

Upon me asking just when those lads 'd be back from picking up the components.........
--------------
Hi Padraig

Our plan is to be back in the vPipes lab on Monday/tuesday and shortly thereafter to be able to ship the instruments. Obviously, as you have paid in full, yours shall be one of the first to be sent by FEDEX.

Regards

RmC
The vPipes Project
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

My fingers are crossed for you Brazen... and all the others. I honestly hope these things are worth the $$$ and time you have spent on acquiring them.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

:lol: ... that's something you can certainly say about "the analog version" too!

Ditto Joseph's well-wishes. The concept of using something like this with headphones to practice in situations where regular pipes might not be welcome (which, when I'm playing, means everywhere) is VERY attractive to a noob like myself.

It'd also be fun to experiment, even if only virtually, with alternative reed and pressure settings just to see what they might be like.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

Hey Nay-sayers.... read.....

----

Hi Padraig

As I can detect from your e-mails that you are nervous for having paid in full, a perfectly understandable situation, if you wish, and as a gesture of goodwill, we are prepared to give you a refund and then in a few days, when the vPipes are ready to ship, you can go ahead and make the payment again.

We are doing this in good faith as we don't want the vPipes experience to be marred by the delays that we have suffered through no fault or mismanagament on our side which is why we are on our way to pick up the last components so as not to leave anything to chance at this critical stage.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed and we shall be happy to oblige.

Cheers

RmC
The vPipes Project
amckay

Post by amckay »

Considering nearly the entire online uilleann pipes community is based either here or on the other uilleann forum, I'm surprised the v-pipes team don't use this to their advantage. A post every so often, maybe a photo or 2 of their work in progress would help manage the expectations of their patiently waiting customers.

I don't like bringing up the whole Davy Stephenson incident because I believe he received (and still does from time to time) too much flack, but the v-pipes team need to understand that the c&f community has been down a similar looking path. I.e. - delays, delays, and no delivery. Considering this history, it's in the v-pipes best interest to do address the community's concerns.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

amckay wrote:
I don't like bringing up the whole Davy Stephenson incident because I believe he received (and still does from time to time) too much flack, but the v-pipes team need to understand that the c&f community has been down a similar looking path. I.e. - delays, delays, and no delivery. Considering this history, it's in the v-pipes best interest to do address the community's concerns.
Communication is always a good thing, but not always possible... especially when there's work to be caught up on.

Look, nothing about Uilleann piping falls under the catagory of "instant gratification". Everything associated with it takes a bit of time. I have been waiting nearly six years for a chanter and I am content to wait longer, until it is my time to receive it from the maker who, incidentally, is also running a bit behind... like a lot of other pipe makers. This is the way of it.

I recommend folks 'pipe down' and continue waiting. Complaining, flinging out baseless assumptions and tossing accusations back and forth on message boards will not speed the process up.

And please, please, please, let's not drag the names of pipemakers through these posts. I am nearly finished with having to deal with this. I do not wish be forced into editing any future post that does so. Please.

Thanks.
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

amckay wrote:Considering nearly the entire online uilleann pipes community is based either here or on the other uilleann forum, .
Newsflash: There are so many pipers who either don't read, nor care about this or any other list....well lets say you might be surprised?!
Black Rose

Post by Black Rose »

Brazenkaine wrote:
amckay wrote:Considering nearly the entire online uilleann pipes community is based either here or on the other uilleann forum, .
Newsflash: There are so many pipers who either don't read, nor care about this or any other list....well lets say you might be surprised?!
True, but not perhaps those who are computer literate and net-savvy, the target demographic for the vPipes?
Sigs are a waste of bandwidth