Bad whistle gig, Good whistle gig

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Bad whistle gig, Good whistle gig

Post by pancelticpiper »

What an end to a week it's been.

Thursday I did a studio gig that was just brutal.

The composer had written this score that a load of whistle parts. But each phrase was in a different key. Some in E minor and D Major, but most in E Major and in Eb Major. Luckily he emailed me the music in advance so that I was able to write out transposed parts.

I had to use my Susato Low E and Low Eb for most of that stuff. One bit I could do on my home-made Generation B but most of the stuff had the range of E to D nearly two octaves higher so I had to use an E whistle for the range.

The gig highlighted the fact that I don't have really good whistles in high E and high Eb. The Susatos worked sort of OK but the composer would have preferred the higher tone. My Generation Eb is hopelessly out of tune in the higher notes.

Oh the composer loved the sound of my MK low D, and the sound of my 30-year-old Feadog high D. I explained that I didn't have MKs in E and Eb and furthermore I didn't think they were even made.

Then Friday a wonderful feel-good gig to help me get over the hours of labourious screeching of high notes on those low Susatos that I had to do on Thursday.

It was playing for a Shabbat service, doing uilleann pipes and MK Low D on L'chai Dodi. The guy had written the parts in the right key and right range and got a good sound as a result. It makes a tremendous difference when the composer pays attention to the capabilities of the instruments he's writing for. Ah, our little group humming along and the entire congregation singing, it was wonderful.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Bad whistle gig, Good whistle gig

Post by mutepointe »

I have a question for you. I'm a big fan of transposing to easier keys. I can understand that some people, especially singers, would be annoyed if there is a major jump in the transposition so that a song goes out of their range but is there really that much of a difference with 1/2 step? Besides the fact that a composer IS the composer, what's the chances that you would survive a recommendation to transpose the song into a more comfortable key? Would a little itty bitty key change really affect the ambience of a song?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

This piece was instrumental, so there was no inherent reason for the various parts to be in the keys they were.

Composers are funny that way. With one click of the mouse they could transpose the piece to a different key, but they almost never do.

In retrospect, I could probably have played everything on the MK Low D and he could have electronically moved it to E and Eb. There have been several times over the years where composers have written uilleann parts in the wrong keys and we've done it that way. They don't like doing that either.

Strangest is when the composer asks in advance what the uilleann pipes do, I tell them, and they go ahead and write the parts in the wrong key anyway. I've come to the conclusion that it's a waste of breath telling them anything, because they think they know it all and they realy aren't listening when anyone tells them anything.

They've taken orchestration courses in college and they know all about the transpositions and ranges of all orchestral instruments. But when they come to the uilleann pipes, something they have no experience with, they think they can ignore these issues and treat them like a synthesizer or something.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I thought you might say something like that. The only thing that surprised me was that a recording could be electronically transposed a half-step. I guess that explains how they get Brittany Spears to sing in tune on her CD's.
白飞梦
Guyon

Post by Guyon »

mutepointe wrote:I thought you might say something like that. The only thing that surprised me was that a recording could be electronically transposed a half-step. I guess that explains how they get Brittany Spears to sing in tune on her CD's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irk3_p15RJY
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Thanks. I would like that Auto-Tune program myself. My favorite line was, "All you have to do is show up with your long hair and your breasts." I cut my hair and I have man breasts. Life is so unfair.
白飞梦
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yep nowadays they can move the whole thing up or down as much as they want. But the further away from the original key it is, the less like the timbre of the original instrument seems to be there.

In some mainstream music it seems to be common for the last part of the song to bump up into in new key, usually one step higher, and they've had to do it electronically for the uilleann pipes (a song in D Major having the last chorus in E Major etc).
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

mutepointe wrote:The only thing that surprised me was that a recording could be electronically transposed a half-step.
Why does that surprise you? You can do it with
free software, easily... more than a half step.
Heck, Windows Media Player or Quicktime will
do it to any mp3 you have right now.

There's probably a free AutoTune plugin for
Audacity, too.

pancelticpiper wrote:In some mainstream music it seems to be common for the last part of the song to bump up into in new key, usually one step higher...
I thought that went out with Barry Manilow...
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

pancelticpiper wrote:In some mainstream music it seems to be common for the last part of the song to bump up into in new key, usually one step higher...
There's actually a name/term for that, which escapes me at the moment. Anyone remember?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

MTGuru wrote:
There's actually a name/term for that, which escapes me at the moment. Anyone remember?
Hackneyed?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Modulation?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

fearfaoin wrote:There's probably a free AutoTune plugin for Audacity, too.
No, I don't think so, Antares Autotune ain't free. There are plenty of free pitch shifting plug-ins, though nothing quite as evolved as Autotune, AFAIK. If anyone here know otherwise, please, let us know. Autotune does have its place and I would defend its occasional use. Roland V-Vocal is another good tool in a similar vein.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

A program to transpose surprised me because if it's two things that I don't know about it's the electronic end of music (microphones, amplifiers, and all that stuff) and computer programs beyond windows, word and a few other freebies like finale that I've run across.

I don't have a need to know about these things (well, I actually have a need to know about improving the use of microphones and amplifiers) so I don't bother learning about them.
白飞梦
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

pancelticpiper wrote:Yep nowadays they can move the whole thing up or down as much as they want. But the further away from the original key it is, the less like the timbre of the original instrument seems to be there.
It's amazing how attitudes have changed concerning electronic manipulation of recorded music. I remember hearing a story about the conductor Otto Klemperer. Back in the 1960's he was listening to a playback of the fourth movement of the Mahler 4th. The soprano missed a note and Klemperer wanted to re-record the movement. One of the engineers told him, "Don't worry, we can fix that note." Apparently a look of horror came over the maestro's face and he replied, "Ach du liebe Zeit, das ist ein Schwindel!"
I'm asking you because you're an educated sort of swine. John LeCarre