Oiling Wooden Flutes & Whistles

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Denny
antispam: No

Re: Oiling Wooden Flutes & Whistles

Post by Denny »

an seanduine wrote:psychodonald:
If you do make it in under 5 seconds, would you then be flush with success?

Bob :D
there's more to it than just being in the right place

presentation counts for a lot sometimes
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

:boggle:

But,then again, it's been said that 'Just showing up is 90 per cent of success.' :lol:
Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Denny

Post by Denny »

yup, but is 90% good enough?

often, it is...
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
psychodonald
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

Bob, yes, I would be flush with success, but also a little wiped out. Toilet humor, it never gets old. :)

Well, back to the subject. I ordered and just received a small amount of Doctor Bore Oil and have applied it to several of my instruments. The instructions recommended using only 10 drops, which I did. It soaked in very quickly. I didn't think that my flutes or bagpipes were dry, perhaps they were. I have oiled with Bore Oil every quarter, at least, as the climate I live in is very dry most of the time. Doctor Bore Oil certainly has a long shelf life (10 years). Who would have guessed?? Here I was sitting fat, dumb and happy until I read this thread, now I've switched to a new product. I guess that's the point really--obtaining new information, learning from others, examining what we have always been doing, and making changes if necessary and prudent.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

psychodonald wrote:Bob, yes, I would be flush with success, but also a little wiped out. Toilet humor, it never gets old. :)

Well, back to the subject. I ordered and just received a small amount of Doctor Bore Oil and have applied it to several of my instruments. The instructions recommended using only 10 drops, which I did. It soaked in very quickly. I didn't think that my flutes or bagpipes were dry, perhaps they were. I have oiled with Bore Oil every quarter, at least, as the climate I live in is very dry most of the time. Doctor Bore Oil certainly has a long shelf life (10 years). Who would have guessed?? Here I was sitting fat, dumb and happy until I read this thread, now I've switched to a new product. I guess that's the point really--obtaining new information, learning from others, examining what we have always been doing, and making changes if necessary and prudent.
let me know how it goes bro-------i have found the Docs oil does soak in but i need more than 10 drops--i have talked with the Doc many many times-- he is a good dude, but he also says Each piece is a different PIECE of WOOD, he is right------ so he will apply AS MANY coats as will LEAVE oil unsoaked on the surface and then wipe it off---- me myself i need to top it off with Almond, it it s thicker oil----------i have a 25 year old flute maybe that is a factor---- hey did you get the cork grease---- remember i told you it evaporates more than i would like on my ferrule string-------- well i started thinking about it------ ITS CORK GREASE-- :boggle: when i had a wood whistle this would Soak into the cork----- either way you still have the Brass GUN SHELL :D
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

Bob, thanks for the information--very helpful. Going to give a second coat. I didn't get the cork grease as of yet, but that will most likely be my next purchase. I'm really going to try to brew me up a batch as you suggested as long as I don't set myself and the house on fire. Keep in touch, it's nice to hear from you--I'll do the same.
Sigmund
Tell us something.: Just want to change mye profile since I have moved to a different town. Favourite flueplayers are Kevin Crawford, Mike Mcgoldrick, Matt Molloy and John Wynne. Thanks! Cheers, Sigmund

Post by Sigmund »

Hi.

Usually I use only almond oil for my flute, but I have found out that if I add a teaspoon of Jasons's 5000iU vitamin E oil (to every 5th tablespoon of almond oil), the sound of the flutes improves greatly.
http://www.amazon.com/Jason-Natural-Cos ... B0000535TD
The oil is made for skincare, but works great for flutecare also!

First I could not believe that it could make such difference, so when I for two months moved away from my hometown, I did not bother to bring the vit E oil. During that time, I used almond oil only, without the vit E add.. surprisingly the flute sounded not that clear, pure, sharp. On a visit back home, I once again oiled it with extra vit E, and the sound improved, yet I still had not figured out the connection..hehe..(could not believe it made that much difference) so I did not bring it back to my temporary home. With only almond oil, the sound declined a bit, as "expected". The flute is new, so I oil it every second week.. There is little climatic difference between the two places, and I don't think that is the reason for the difference in tone.

THe oil consists of different nut oils, as well as a few other types of veg oils. It has also added natural vit E.

Cheers,
Sigmund
"Basically, the game is over if the rhythm is unsteady; it makes things jarring musically and impossible to listen to." -Jerry O'Sullivan
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

almond oil is a rich source of vitamain E
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

Sigmund wrote:Hi.

Usually I use only almond oil for my flute, but I have found out that if I add a teaspoon of Jasons's 5000iU vitamin E oil (to every 5th tablespoon of almond oil), the sound of the flutes improves greatly.
http://www.amazon.com/Jason-Natural-Cos ... B0000535TD
The oil is made for skincare, but works great for flutecare also!

First I could not believe that it could make such difference, so when I for two months moved away from my hometown, I did not bother to bring the vit E oil. During that time, I used almond oil only, without the vit E add.. surprisingly the flute sounded not that clear, pure, sharp. On a visit back home, I once again oiled it with extra vit E, and the sound improved, yet I still had not figured out the connection..hehe..(could not believe it made that much difference) so I did not bring it back to my temporary home. With only almond oil, the sound declined a bit, as "expected". The flute is new, so I oil it every second week.. There is little climatic difference between the two places, and I don't think that is the reason for the difference in tone.

THe oil consists of different nut oils, as well as a few other types of veg oils. It has also added natural vit E.

Cheers,
Sigmund
i have noticed this too, the viscosity of the oil adds density to the wood, and true Vitamin E in very thick, i have medical grade-
in my case i have oiled the living crud out of it and it made my flute too sharp--30+ cent off :tantrum: ----- i believe when thinner oils are used it gives more room for sound absorbtion, in other words the sound Retains in the chamber longer , giving it a deeper ,Darker fuller note------on the opposite side, when the wood is fully aborbed in oil the sound "leaves" the chamber faster, almost like "Delrin", leaving a brighter sound, Less Wood vibration--which is not at all what i like -------- it takes away the 'woody" sound, some one else has called it "rick"-- but this is just my observation, from a wood workers view :D and oil experiments i have done on projects and my own flute

in my flutes case ,the less oiled the "flatter" and woody the sound and so forth

my flute does not have a tunable head, that being said when i oil it I have to wait a few days for a decent A440 to come in :D
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I once treated my flute with alcohol and played it immediately afterwards. My playing improved a lot, but the effect didn't last long and left me back with a massive hangover.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Bear fat.

The problem is in the getting.

The bears tend to not go along with the idea.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert