Just Checking In... I'm Still Alive!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Just Checking In... I'm Still Alive!

Post by raindog1970 »

I've had some phone calls and e-mails from acquaintances who were concerned about my lack of communication, so I'm writing to assure everyone that I'm still alive and in good health.
I'm touched that people would be worried about me, and I apologize for not keeping in contact with the whistle community.

Presbyopia has set in quickly over the past year or so, which just goes along with graying hair and such as to be expected since I'm about to turn forty.
I have an appointment with an optometrist this Friday, and I'm sure it will be time to start wearing bifocals instead of carrying reading glasses everywhere.
Hopefully I'll be able to see close-up details better with prescription lenses than I can with reading glasses, but I may still have to invest in a magnifying visor when I start back making whistles.
Oh, and hopefully I won't trip over anything and break any bones while getting used to the bifocals! :P

Yes, I do still plan to return to whistle making at some point... hopefully in the near future, but don't hold me to that.
My overtime hours at Philips have lessened significantly, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's a sign of things returning to normal.
Many of you already know that I've been working on an alternative design in my spare time, which is a departure from the milled blade ramps I've made in the past.
The new design doesn't depend at all on my ability to focus on tiny details, and instead depends entirely on the DRO and caliper readings to get the really important cuts just right.
The perfectionist in me really likes that, as it gives me much more control over consistency than ever before.

I'm also about to start experimenting with ABS plastic as an alternative to acetal, because ABS can be easily glued.
This will eliminate the need for pinning the mouthpiece assembly together, and will also eliminate the problem of condensation seepage coming through from underneath the fipple plug.
If the ABS experiment goes according to plan, I may turn out a limited run of high D whistles with the new mouthpiece design to get a few in circulation and get some customer feedback.

There you have it, a quick update from the old raindog... and I promise not to go so long without posting again.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
A-Musing
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Just Checking In... I'm Still Alive!

Post by A-Musing »

Gary...

Forty...Shmorty!

I'm "A-Musing1944"....white of beard...and still really enjoying my brass Low Eb, and Low F whistles made by you.

Two of the finest, most sensitive, and beautiful whistles I own.

Glad to see you're still maintaining interest, as a maker...and look forward to your future productions.

James
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
walrii

Post by walrii »

I need binoculars to see forty in the rearview mirror. Trifocals are a real joy. Glad to hear from you Gary.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Bifocals are a gift from God! My only suggestion would be to NOT get the "no line" version. I absolutely hated them and took them back after two days. I also have a second pair of bifocals that some optometrists call "musicians glasses". The bifocal line is a little higher than normal 'cause it seems that music, when holding an instrument (trumpet, in my case), is perfectly aligned with the line. By raising the line, you can see your music and the conductor. Doesn't seem to be as much of a factor with the flute, but I use them there, too. Oh yeah, they're great for computer work, too! I used to keep tilting my head back too far with my old, normal, glasses.

Good luck!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Hi, Gary!

Best wishes,
Jerry
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I've been wearing the lineless (transitions?) trifocals for many years and love them; my eyes just starting going automatically to the right spot after a couple of hours. Top for shooting range distance, middle for computer, bottom for reading. In my lifetime glasses have gone from dweebie to cool....(I however am still somewhere stuck in between).

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Good to see you Gary. I love my pre-stealth D. I carry two D whistles when I can't carry my case. One is the Humphreys the other is a Burke.
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Hey, Gary. Great to get the update.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

plunk111 wrote: I also have a second pair of bifocals that some optometrists call "musicians glasses". The bifocal line is a little higher than normal 'cause it seems that music, when holding an instrument Pat
I've had bifocals since I was a kid. I love playing with the line. Next time I get a pair of eyeglasses, I'll ask about this. Thanks.

Raindog, regarding the "I'm Still Alive". Not to worry, it's a temporary condition.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
rodfish

Post by rodfish »

Hey Gary!
Great to get the update; I was wondering about you and have checked your web site recently.

Looking forward to your next endeavor; I could use another addition to my Humphrey set.

Stay well.
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."