Stand for our dear Irish flutes - searching...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Stand for our dear Irish flutes - searching...

Post by MTGuru »

I like the little sandbags. Very neat.

The cavefish stands look very nice indeed for display purposes. But impractical I think for a session table (knowing the dynamics of a typical session table).

Honestly, for table use, I still think it's hard to improve on a folded plush cloth, like terry or "grippy" microfiber terry. The flute (or whistle) sinks in, and will not roll unless knocked. The cloth cushions the instrument, including delicate keywork. There's no danger of the flute being knocked off an inch-high stand. It's easily portable in your kit. It's no big deal if lost. And it absorbs the tide of your mate's spilled Guinness before it washes over your flute. :-)

And as a ready-made solution for a single flute on stage, the padded drumstick cup may be hard to beat, even without Terry's elaborate clamping arrangement:

Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

these stands of mine ,as i Stated are temporary home placement stands--- with the exception of the whistle stand, and are ONLY are in use for a matter of minutes or hours,AND with proper swabbing first :D - as it is not wise to lay a flute horizontal all the time when wet , (no drainage, puddling would occur)

If i am working on it and laying it down while eating and such it is used--------------I have KIDS, and YES it would be a terrible break if one "leaned on it" :cry: so the terry idea is the "safest way" which i Do use when cleaning and oiling---------- besides this is NOT near my kids nor it is at hip level-- :shock: - the flute stand is high and in the middle of a dresser cabinet, this is a just my way of personalizing things-------i am a wood freak
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

In a brillaint and serious move of dedication to my craft, I have developed similar skills with my flute. No one ever asks to borrow my flute and humidity levels are maintained satisfactorily.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Added photo to my previous post. :)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I love the sandbags, too -- that's a great idea, at least for tabletop use at pubs, etc. I've also seen a few of these at sessions, though generally for mandolins: Image

(It's a neck rest - sorry the pic's so small!)

But on a small stage, especially with roving fellow musicians and their trailing cords, verticality is a necessity in my book. When I've tried it, I just can't trust that the drumstick bucket is tall enough for my heavier keyed flute, so I think I'll try the "stick bucket + the clip device" combo.

One multi-instrumental fellow I know has a long narrow "flute sock" of sorts that hangs from an arm clamped on his mic stand (I wouldn't trust the boom for such purposes). I tried a yoga mat bag, but maybe I'm just a klutz -- I kept getting the keys caught when trying to put the flute in or take it out of the bag.

I remember at one point I actually pondered umbrella stands or vases. Hey, ya never know!

Anyway, fun to see all the ideas. Clark, you should think about selling some of your stands if the shipping on the mic-stand base isn't prohibitive.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
david_h

Post by david_h »

Since pub tables have been mentioned - someone in an earlier 'my flute rolled off the table' discussion suggested putting one of those elastic hair ties with a bead on the flute. Seems to work.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Cathy Wilde wrote: I kept getting the keys caught when trying to put the flute in or take it out of the bag.
Sounds like the fabric was the problem, something like a quiver with hook and pile straps might have been better.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I.D. 10-T wrote:
Sounds like the fabric was the problem, something like a quiver with hook and pile straps might have been better.

It's always good to have another 'arrow' in your quiver :D
Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Gabriel wrote:Never happened here. I don't play with rock bands, though.
I realize us rockers are more likely to knock things over - no one in a trad band ever drinks or stands, or anything... That said, I do remember a fiddler in one of my Irish bands knocking down an entire mike/boom stand... glad my flute wasn't on it, fancy basket or not.

Vertical is a necessity, if moving on to another instrument during a set and back again, but putting your flute(s) back in its case(s) during breaks is probably the smartest move...
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

I can't recall any of the heavy duty pros using flute stands - Molloy, McEvoy, McGoldrick.... have I just not noticed or do they think it's just unnecessary baggage?

And is this: Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve a reference to kids at the dinner table - serve the oldest one first, say? - or waiting tables in a bar: first serve who appears to be the most likely tipper? Or perhaps, as in tennis, "which of ye shall serve?"

And why "you" in the first clause, and "ye" in the second clause. I don't get this, either. Help me out here.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

You/ye - remnant of case inflection, now mostly obsolete in modern English - cf German or Latin etc. However, it is still extant in you/your etc. We tend not to think about it in the still current usages, only notice it in archaisms.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Fifthtry
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fifthtry »

[Thread revival. - Mod.]

I thought I'd share what I came up with. I have several guitar stands; one is pictured. I removed the lower "shelf," which allows the upright support to lower right to the floor, which makes it low enough for my flutes to lean against. These pictures are on a carpet; I'll put a handtowel underneath as a mat, which catches any drips and also provides a non-skid surface so this can be used on hardwood floors.

John

Image Image
woodfluter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by woodfluter »

Couple of things I've been using - for ideas.

Same Hercules base as O.P. mentioned, but with added center post (all four removable of course) for another whistle. Yes, the posts that come with it are useless. Even for Boehm flute IMO...in foreground is a wooden post covered in vinyl tubing that I made for that.

Posts for wooden flutes and whistles are made from 3/8" steel bolt, heads cut off, nut added at base (or in some cases rod connector nuts and slot-head bolts). Covered in snugly-fitting vinyl tubing, with vinyl caps or plastic screw covers glued in to keep moisture from getting in. Neoprene valve seats inserted between bolt and tubing for supporting end of flute.

This is what I now use in almost all situations except on a very crowded stage. Pelican 1470 computer case, modified. Holds D flute, F flute, four or five whistles in sleeves (front slot). The green and orange bent wires are made from vinyl-coated coat hangers. The bent ends assure that they won't tear the foam. They travel behind the foam panel in the lid, slide into the sides next to the foam.

The bent wires partially grip and hold the flutes securely - no tendency to slide off. The orange cord with cord lock secures the case hinge area rapidly to the back of any chair. The case can't slip off and doesn't even slide around. You'd have to knock the entire chair down to dislodge anything.
redoxmusic
Tell us something.: I enjoy Irish music and wooden flutes in general. I have pursued a number of forms of folk music over the years, as well as some classical music.

Post by redoxmusic »

Here a few pics of a flute stand I asked a carpenter friend of mine to make. Sorry about the size, I tried to resize them without much success it would seem. The base is made out of white oak, and the pegs are walnut.

Isaac
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Looks like some of you keep your flutes assembled on stands even at home and not just when doing a gig. That seems weird and unecessary to me. Can't be good for corked joints, plus the added risk of someone knocking a stand over. I keep my flutes in their boxes at home when they are not being played. In a session the table's good enough, or in the pipe case under the session table, or when doing a gig.