Stand for our dear Irish flutes - searching...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Re: Stand for our dear Irish flutes - searching...

Post by I.D.10-t »

When outdoor signs have problems standing up, people add sand bags.

If that is not attractive enough, a weighted skirt that surrounds the stand might be the ticket. Unfortunately many of the folding stands bend in one direction, but loops on the underside could solve this problem.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Stand for our dear Irish flutes - searching...
OK, that's the "dear" ones sorted out. So what do we recommend for the cheap ones?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

MTGuru wrote:
Terry McGee wrote:I've had an idea rattling around in my brain but have never got around to doing something with.
Terry, something like that could be devised (or prototyped) already, more or less, using existing items.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=443395

https://www.stringswing.com/products/pr ... ategory=25

The 7" drumstick holder, mounted low on the stand, is already fairly stable (I use this for whistles). The angle is adjustable. The bottom is padded with porous foam, and additional foam lining can reduce its diameter and cushion the flute. Yes, a drain hole could be drilled in the bottom.

Mounted high on the stand, the uke hanger cradles the top of the flute. A strap across the fork can secure the instrument, without the risk of either snap damage or torque damage from a Terry clip. Even better would be the mechanism found on some guitar hanger stands now, whereby several rotating "fingers" automatically close off the front of the fork when the instrument is placed in it, and open again when it's removed.

Mind you, I haven't tried this. But I don't see why it might not work.
DOH! I missed this post. That said, great minds .... :-D
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Hard to compete with a 3AM post, even with the 3 hour lead :lol:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Cathy Wilde wrote:DOH! I missed this post. That said, great minds .... :-D
I started reading your post, and suddenly had an out of body experience. Unfortunately, watching myself while floating on the ceiling is almost as boring as being myself. So I'm very glad you cleared things up. :lol:

Great minds ... more like cheap minds who enjoy cobbling together Rube Goldberg solutions. C'mon, fess up.

Oh, and it has to be a ukulele hanger. Ukes are much hotter than fiddles nowadays!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

The whistle stand on my desk is a 76 mil shell casing from 1945. Turned from solid brass, bottom heavy, 7.5" high. Hard to knock over.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

s1m0n wrote:The whistle stand on my desk is a 76 mil shell casing from 1945. Turned from solid brass, bottom heavy, 7.5" high. Hard to knock over.
I have a pair of things that stood on my grandparents mantlepiece and which we think are shell casings (about 50mm) with heavy steel bases added by an engineering apprentice. A roll of cloth reduces the diameter so that the flute stands upright. They even have a drain hole. So I need another flute.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I just use a pretty vase.
Here is a thread about dolphinjohn's pvc flute stand that I thought was clever. The only comments that I remember in the thread is that we would have liked it in black. Maybe we should have a sticky of homemade flute/whistle stands/bags to save all the searching. There are a lot of clever people here and there is no need to reinvent the wheel.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73350&hilit=pvc+flute+stand
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
clark
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

After a few scary tumbles using the usual flute stands I made this. I got a desk-top mike stand and took off the center pole. I then drilled and tapped some threaded holes to receive the hardware that allows me to unscrew the base from the wooden stand thus making it very easy to tote to gigs in a "flattened" state. The heavy base easily holds up lots of flutes and whistles and even keeps my big Bb Grinter from being knocked over.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Gabriel wrote:Never happened here. I don't play with rock bands, though.
I had that same exact stand, and it took a couple of years but it eventually happened to me, and no rock band. Small cramped stage, and the flute not only was bumped over, it went DOWN, as in like a couple of feet to the main floor. Fortunately it only suffered a chip on the endcap.

So, no more flute stands for me, now. Assembled, it's either in secure repose in my hands, on the table, on the floor (my least favorite but once you square away risk probabilities the gravity's unassailably good not to mention fully accounted for aside from, like, the ceiling falling in), or in the case of most stage setups, a longish-narrowish flute-holder bag suspended from and attached securely - top and bottom - to the mike stand. Is that dorky? Too bad. First, I value my instruments infinitely more than I would an outsider's stage decor opinions, and second, whaddayagonna do? I AM a dork.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

I wood NEVER put a wood flute on a pole--------------- i have made two burl wood horizontal stands with felt inlay this seems to be great for temporary placement--with the exception of the whistle i commonly use :D ----------Image
ImageImage
Last edited by cavefish on Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

cavefish wrote:Image
Reminds me of little sandbag rests.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Nice, cavefish, and good for a keyless flute (no need for one with keys), but not practical for stage use.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

jemtheflute wrote:Nice, cavefish, and good for a keyless flute (no need for one with keys), but not practical for stage use.
actually this works great for concert flutes, and the keys never touch anything---this was a home setting stand------ but as you stated "stage use" i would have used something else, which i would have made too much more SECURE- :D --i Try to make most things myself-----i have a wood shop-------i am thinking of making custom flute caps-like the one on this older flute- i like the older designs-the "irish nipples"
Last edited by cavefish on Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

I.D.10-t wrote:
cavefish wrote:Image
Reminds me of little sandbag rests.
actually i never thought of sandbags-that is a a fantastic idea-------