CP: Steffen Gabriel wooden flutes | FS: Rudalls in D

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
rama
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Re: CP: Steffen Gabriel wooden flutes | FS: Rudalls in D

Post by rama »

good god i think you just put half the keyless flutemakers out of business, that's brilliant!
ancientfifer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ancientfifer »

rama wrote:good god i think you just put half the keyless flutemakers out of business, that's brilliant!
Ditto That :thumbsup: would love to get on your flute tour list.
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Lovely Rudally sound.
Ronnie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ronnie »

Good job!! :wink:
brotherwind

Post by brotherwind »

Jon C. wrote:
Gabriel wrote:Yes, I will probably send one out for a tour sooner or later, perhaps from the next batch which is due to be finished in a few weeks. I'll let you all know when the tour starts...

Here's a quick 'n dirty clip from the cellar. I'm playing #4 there. I'll do a video next weekend.
Sounds great!
Be careful when you send the ambassador flute out, that it doesn't end up lost under someones bed! :poke:

:tomato: Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa, Jon!

Still have it in my cupboard and totally forgot about it. Please PM or email me your current address soo it can find it's way back.
Sorry, Moritz
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

So this is the second time my thread has been hijacked. I might take it personal next time.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Back on topic; Great playing Gabriel!
You can't go wrong with this design. Are you planning offer keyed flutes soon? I can imagine thatthere may be some reluctance there, those pesky keys... How about Prattens? :D
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I currently have three blackwood flutes in the pipeline that I plan to decorate with silver spoons, block-mounted. Still undecided if I should forge three sets of keys or one and have the rest cast or forged by someone (which doesn't seem too unusual, speaking of "A·L"...). Silver forging is fun but also takes a LOT of time.

Prattens - maybe...I've got the plans and just have to make the reamers. But not in the nearer future...fall, winter or so. Winter is a great time for making reamers, especially if you don't have a cooling device for machining steel. Just open the windows and go for it.

I'd love to make an Eb flute, though. Mainly for myself (I just want to own one!), but if there's interest...ah, and the Bb flute...so much to do, so little time!
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Gabriel wrote:I currently have three blackwood flutes in the pipeline that I plan to decorate with silver spoons, block-mounted. Still undecided if I should forge three sets of keys or one and have the rest cast or forged by someone (which doesn't seem too unusual, speaking of "A·L"...). Silver forging is fun but also takes a LOT of time.

Prattens - maybe...I've got the plans and just have to make the reamers. But not in the nearer future...fall, winter or so. Winter is a great time for making reamers, especially if you don't have a cooling device for machining steel. Just open the windows and go for it.

I'd love to make an Eb flute, though. Mainly for myself (I just want to own one!), but if there's interest...ah, and the Bb flute...so much to do, so little time!
Yes you will be a busy flute builder, just wait until you have a 10 year waiting list and buyers are hounding you for there flutes... ;o)
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
onkel

Post by onkel »

Ohhhh.... I consider myself very lucky to have tried out these flutes last Saturday. Spot on tuning, excellent workmanship and a embouchure cut which gives just the right blend of attack and smoothness. And Steffen is just starting! Scary....

Go on The Gabe!
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Congratulations, Gabriel! That is one lovely-sounding bunch of flute. Long (and soon!) may you prosper.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Michel

Post by Michel »

mein Gott!
flute sound great! would love to try one. if you ever plan to organise a flute tour let me know..
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Thank you all for the nice words :)

By the way: flute #4 has been sold, sale of flute #5 is pending.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Congratulations on all counts, Steffen.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Now that I whink about it, I thought you were more of a pratten guy...? Why are you starting with a rudall model?
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute