tribute acts, off topic - nothing to do with itm

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
john

tribute acts, off topic - nothing to do with itm

Post by john »

i picked up a record years ago called 'sounds like bowie'
it's a bowie soundalike doing hits up until about 77 which i think is about when it came out
what i'm interested to know is if this sort of 'tribute' act existed before
i'm sure we're all familiar with abba/beatles/stones/floyd inspired acts who make a living out of performing live long after the acts they're copying have disbanded or died (with the exception of the stones who are still going strong)
also there were a series of facsimile recordings in the seventies like the 'top of pops' ones where the performers (studio musicians) did their best to play note-perfect covers of hits like bohemian rhapsody but i think the reason for these had something to do with producing cheap compilation records before the likes of 'now here's what i called music' (up to about no. 80 now i think)
anyway could anyone enlighten me as to the history of tribute acts - i tend to think of it as a 90s phenomenon - am i wrong?
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: tribute acts, off topic - nothing to do with itm

Post by chas »

Around the same time (mid-late 70's), I remember seeing a very good Steely Dan cover band. I don't remember thinking the idea of a tribute band being especially novel; this one stood out because they were so doing music that was more interesting/complex than your standard pop.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

The proper arena of tribute acts is the bar, not the recording studio. The point was to reproduce the experience of going to the imitatee's stage show.

Unusually for rock, extra style points get awarded for wit & wordplay in the tribute band's name (cf Bjorn Again, the Abba Tribute act). This kind of humour has been a big part of country since Hank, but it's rare in pop or rock.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Denny

Post by Denny »

Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

I'm a fan of Hayseed Dixie, which is a bluegrass AC/DC tribute band. They don't just reproduce the old songs though-- they treat them to some kickass bluegrass chops, creating a whole new thing.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Denny

Post by Denny »

more of a cover band than tribute maybe.

I like a lot of the stuff that bluegrass has redone.
john

Post by john »

reminds me of a zep covers band called dread zeppelin who also don't do straight covers
Whistling Willie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

Have only seen one tribute act and I can't remember their name :oops: but they were a Beatles act on in Belfast one night and they were fantastic.Costume changes the whole way through reflecting the different styles that Beatles went through.
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
Denny

Post by Denny »

"Rain" or "The Return"?
dwest

Post by dwest »

Clarence Giddens is the Black Elvis form the Eastern Shore Of Virginia, much better than the "original." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MogeIMX ... tube_gdata
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

dwest wrote:Clarence Giddens is the Black Elvis form the Eastern Shore Of Virginia, much better than the "original." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MogeIMX ... tube_gdata
I think that's hyperbole but he is pretty good. It would take a lot of songs to prove that point. Elvis had one of the most interesting voices ever and he was endlessly inventive with it. Elvis' voice also had a velvety side that the video doesn't demonstrate with this guy, though I know the sound quality is just Net-ty.. It is logical that a black guy could cover him best because that's the style he sang.

I know that Elvis' schtick and his descent into his own caricature (and come to think of it, Michael Jackson did something similar) is off-putting and I am not of the school of idolizing him with velvet paintings and conspiracy theories. But Elvis really had an incredible, unique voice and great singing talent. I have an almost identical respect for Patsy Cline, though she never got so melodramatic before her death. Both could sing anything popular and find something interesting to do with it.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Denny

Post by Denny »

atta boy!!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

john wrote: abba/beatles/stones/floyd
I'm still composing myself and trying to come up with some reason why you would group Pink Floyd with anyone else. Could someone please get me a glass a water and an aspirin?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Here in Southern California, tribute bands and acts are quite popular at outdoor fairs and such. At most of these events, the music is background. Having familiar music is usually much more popular than original music. Part of it is demographics. The majority of the population is baby boomers and they like their old music.

Heck, even on the major concert circuit, the top money makers include many 20, 30, even 40 year old acts.
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-Saw a 50's/60's pop/rock cover band in Washington state a few years ago whose music was good and danceable. Musicianship & vocals- all fine. They followed headliners Mark O'Connor & Frank Vignola playing Hot Club swing but we weren't so receptive to them after watching Mark & Frank first. The volume was too abrasive after such sweet acoustic sets from Mark & Frank so we didn't stick around.

-Now James Brown is gone Frank Vignola may be the hardest working man in show business. There should be a cabinet position of Fretboard General. I'd nominate Frank for it and be confident of bipartisan support. If rejected then a nomination of Duke Robillard would succeed.

*edited to remedy flagrant misuse of "whom"
Last edited by brianormond on Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.