Abreva makes cold sores go away quickly.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

I am allergic to citric acid, which is in almost everything, so I deal with blisters (cold sores) on my lips more often than I'd like to. Through the marvels of modern medicine, Abreva has been created. It's a tiny little tube for $17 but it's well worth it, because a blister in a bad place can keep you away from whistles and flutes for weeks. Abreva makes it stop growing from the moment you first apply it. Amazing stuff, really.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JessieK on 2003-02-05 18:52 ]</font>
E = Fb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by E = Fb »

Was that stuff developed for genital herpes?
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Uh, no, not to my knowledge.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

E=Fb no not that kind. Do a search on Google like I did and you will find very little if anything of an official nature that Abreva was made for that, although there are prescription drugs of that nature. Abreva is over the counter.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I initially balked at paying that much for it, until I saw how well it worked. Then I thought they probably could get a lot more for it. It's worth its weight in gold.
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

If only there were such a product for shingles...
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
srt19170

Post by srt19170 »

On 2003-02-05 20:58, raindog1970 wrote:
Abreva is intended for cold sores, so it might well help for shingles.

For those who don't know, cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) [which is indeed the same virus that causes genital herpes]. Various things can trigger outbreaks, which might be why Jessie gets them from citrus acid.

Cold sores shouldn't be confused with canker sores, which are white ulcers typically on the inside of the mouth. These are not caused by a virus and have different treatment.

-- Scott

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: srt19170 on 2003-02-06 12:09 ]</font>
Steven

Post by Steven »

Actually, genital herpes is caused by a different herpes virus, I believe HHV-2. It's not the same one that causes oral sores, just closely related. As for a medicine against herpes helping with shingles, I don't see why it would. Shingles is caused by the varicella virus, the same one that causes chicken pox. The virus actually lies dormant in the nervous system throughout our lives and occassionally reactivates in some people, causing shingles.

Steven
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

On 2003-02-06 12:07, srt19170 wrote:
On 2003-02-05 20:58, raindog1970 wrote:
Abreva is intended for cold sores, so it might well help for shingles.

For those who don't know, cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) [which is indeed the same virus that causes genital herpes]. Various things can trigger outbreaks, which might be why Jessie gets them from citrus acid.

Cold sores shouldn't be confused with canker sores, which are white ulcers typically on the inside of the mouth. These are not caused by a virus and have different treatment.

-- Scott

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: srt19170 on 2003-02-06 12:09 ]</font>
Actually, most canker sores are also caused by a Herpes variant, which resides in the body after the initial infection (as does shingles, and the Herpes variant that causes cold sores). While mouth ulcers CAN be caused by other things, such as certain bacteria or medications, the kind that "canker-sore-prone" people (such as myself, my father and my daughter) get whenever they have an illness or even a minor mouth irritation (or sometimes just out of the blue) are yet another manifestation of the lovely (not!) Herpes family.

Unfortunately, due to their location inside the mouth, they're not as easily treatable as cold sores. On the upside, however, they interfere less with whistle-playing, unless you're unlucky enough to get one right on the inside of the lip!

Redwolf
Rando7

Post by Rando7 »

As for a medicine against herpes helping with shingles, I don't see why it would. Shingles is caused by the varicella virus, the same one that causes chicken pox.

Steven
Actually there is some weak evidence that starting anti-virals (like acyclovir for example) VERY early in the course of shingles helps reduce the risk of post-herpetic neuralgia (persistent pain even when the blisters are gone). Most of the treatment for persistent shingles pain is related to blocking the nerve pain with neurontin, tegretol, etc. Sometimes topical Zostrix cream will help but you can't use it on the mouth and it does take some getting used to.
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

as a health care provider, this is too much information.... ick!
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

On 2003-02-06 13:39, Steven wrote:
Actually, genital herpes is caused by a different herpes virus, I believe HHV-2. It's not the same one that causes oral sores, just closely related. As for a medicine against herpes helping with shingles, I don't see why it would. Shingles is caused by the varicella virus, the same one that causes chicken pox. The virus actually lies dormant in the nervous system throughout our lives and occassionally reactivates in some people, causing shingles.

Steven
Varicella is a Herpes virus too...but it's Herpes Zoster, not Herpes Simplex.

Redwolf
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

With Shingles, it wasn't so much the pain, but the agony of the itching that followed.
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

What, the itching was worse with Shingles than with Chicken Pox?!?! I got CP as an adult, about 10 years ago, and can't imagine itching that could be more intense. If Shingles is worse, then somebody PLEASE promise to put a large caliber bullet in my temple if I ever get Shingles.....

Loren
srt19170

Post by srt19170 »

On 2003-02-06 13:54, Redwolf wrote:
Actually, most canker sores are also caused by a Herpes variant...
No, they're not. It isn't known what causes them, but viral and bacterial causes have been ruled out. See, for instance:

http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/heal ... anker.html

Many sufferers get relief by avoiding toothpastes that contain sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and using daily antiseptic mouthwashes such as Listerine.

(The first part of the above page is about cold sores, by the way.)

-- Scott