Wet airway problem..

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
guitarman
antispam: No

Wet airway problem..

Post by guitarman »

Hello to all!

I am still new to the Irish whistle, but boy am I having fun combining it with my guitar!

Anyway, does anyone know of a product or liquid substance to put into the whistle's airway to keep it from getting clogged with condensation? I find when playing into a mike with Reverb, having to blow out the airway is a very bad distraction- its very loud and gets REVERBERATED!
:shock:

Any help or info would be a great help- THANKS!
Feadoggie

Re: Wet airway problem..

Post by Feadoggie »

guitarman wrote:Hello to all!

I am still new to the Irish whistle, but boy am I having fun combining it with my guitar!

Anyway, does anyone know of a product or liquid substance to put into the whistle's airway to keep it from getting clogged with condensation? I find when playing into a mike with Reverb, having to blow out the airway is a very bad distraction- its very loud and gets REVERBERATED!
:shock:

Any help or info would be a great help- THANKS!
Very common problem. You could do a search (top right of the page) of the archives for the collected wisdom of the ages on this forum for clearing the windway.

The product called "duponol" is purpose made for what you describe. There are similar products as well. Soaps with sheeting action do the same thing. But really, just turn away from the microphone and spare us all those inglorious sound effects. :lol: And don't even think about shaking the whistle head out in the direction of your audience. They won't be impressed with the shower I am sure. Condensation is a fact of life with the whistle and you will learn to clear the clog silently and unobtrusively in time.

Good luck!

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Feadoggie wrote:Condensation is a fact of life with the whistle
woodwind, innit.....check out the lakes in front of the trumpet section

if you put a finger over the wind way you can blow
'course ya have to move a hand and put it back

sucking is more common but less mentioned
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

And warming the whistle head beforehand with body heat from hands, under arm, in pocket, or with a microwave or electric whistlebag (I'm kidding about the last two) helps minimize the temperature differences while the whistle warms to your gentle breath....

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Yes, sucking in is much easier. It doesn't make any awful sounds and doesn't require you to move your hand to cover the windway. With practice, you can do this right in the middle of a tune missing scarcely a beat.
Don't be squeamish-- that stuff you're sucking in was already in your mouth mere moments ago... :D
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

The longer and better you play the whistle, the less condensation is such an issue. When I first started, I did flick my whistle in the middle of a church service put fortuneately, I aimed for the aisle and not the congregation. Folks saw.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

I have used Duponol and it does seem to last longer than a soap/water mixture. It can be hard to find, but music shops specializing in recorders seem to have it.

Condensation was much more of a problem when I first started to play whistle. Now I only use Duponol on a couple of whistles that are very prone to condensation or when I expect to be playing in cold conditions. I'm not sure what has changed, but it's become much less of a problem.

And it's not because I am any smarter about warming up the whistles first. :-)
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Courtly Music is a good online US source for Duponol. The 1.5 ounce bottle lasts a long time. Nice folks to deal with.

http://courtlymusicunlimited.com/Access ... ml#Duponol
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

BTW-- you don't need to use Duponol every time you play. Just once in a while when the whistle seems to be clogging more than usual.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
walrii

Post by walrii »

I've also had good luck running a strip of waxed dental floss in the windway. The wax has the same effect as soap. If you get cinamon or mint floss, it will taste better than duponol.

Truth in Posting: I got this hint from MTGuru.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

walrii wrote:Truth in Posting: I got this hint from MTGuru.
And I got it from someone else. Tradition!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
ten or more

Post by ten or more »

Breathing entirely through the mouth and not the nose helps as does avoiding foods, especially sweet things for 15 -20 minutes before playing. I like to drink a cup of black coffee, or better yet black tea 30 minutes before playing - it seems to dry my mouth.
Mason

Post by Mason »

Steve Bliven wrote:And warming the whistle head beforehand with body heat from hands, under arm, in pocket, or with a microwave or electric whistlebag (I'm kidding about the last two) helps minimize the temperature differences while the whistle warms to your gentle breath....

Best wishes.

Steve
That actually brings up something I have wondered about for a while. What do professional players do whose whistle has been sitting on stage (presumably cold). Are they just that good?
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Mason wrote:What do professional players do whose whistle has been sitting on stage (presumably cold). Are they just that good?
I think they use the same techniques we all use. Most have been mentioned above. You don't have to watch too closely to see how they handle it. Most, if not all, will breath through the whistle to warm it up before they play, generally with a finger over the window. Some will keep the whistles wrapped in a cloth or towel when not being played. I've seen at least one heating pad used on stage to warm the little buggers. Some players use storage designed to insulate the whistles pretty well, I don't call myself a pro but, as an example, my whistle bags are made with a pocket for each whistle and lined with polar fleece to keep them warm. When an experienced pro plays you will see the occaisional movement away from the mic to clear a clog - some players suck, some players blow, some players shake it on out. But pros don't call attention to the act of clearing the condensation - they are pros after all. It also depends on the type of whistle you are playing. I played the solid aluminum style whistles for a while and then moved to whistles with all plastic or polymer lined heads as years went on. I guess the venues I played at were all on the colder side of the thermometer. The plastics are not as finicky as the solid metal heads, they don't shed heat as fast as the aluminum so they don't cause the condensation to form as easily. But the aluminum does heat up more quickly than the plastics if they are coming in from the cold winter air. Take your pick! But when the air temperature is cool and you blow warm breath into a whistle the physics is somewhat inevitable - droplets of moisture will condense out of that air.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Denny

Post by Denny »

they tell amusing antidotes while warming up the thing

you can never have too many amusing antidotes :poke:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.