OT: Name that wine

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

Not much of a wine drinker, but couldn't you use something along the lines of Liebfraumilch? The Greman speakers on the board could probably give you a better name.

For myself, I'm busy trying to...

Drink More Milk
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

how bout "frog's breath"
amar

Post by amar »

Toad f*rt?
hahaha...
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

On 2003-02-06 09:29, amar wrote:
Toad f*rt?
hahaha...
Amar... I'm shocked!

We're here disgussing delicatessy, the poetry of the grape, er... ambrosia, etc.
When asked about a German-sounding sweet blush, I merely suggest delicate Rhein names like "Schloss Kuessmeinsuess"--so sweet and so blushing!--but you... sheesh and oh-là-là.

Now try and behave.
:grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zubivka on 2003-02-06 10:17 ]</font>
amar

Post by amar »

You CHEATER!!!
Now how does this look for posterity??
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

yup, that IS the question...
amar

Post by amar »

I'll get you....kniiiiiiiiiiiiigett
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

On 2003-02-06 02:45, Zubivka wrote:

Now back to the topic, to answer Redwolf.
I'll allow myself a slight contradiction, or rather local precision, Rosé being a French word after all.
In France, it is forbidden to make Rosé by blending red and white wines. Rosés and "gray wines" ar all made from the claret (in the French sense of low tannin first juice, not the British nick for bordeaux) of red grapes.
The only exception to this rule--again in France--is Champagne Rosé, which are allowed blends of red and white wines. But Champagnes are already an exception in French regulations, most being a blend of wines from different origins or even vintages.
Yeah...as so often is the case with wine, conventions in the U.S. differ (often from state to state). The wines that first caught on here as "Rose" were really awful, ultra-sweet, invariably cheap, blended products. Winemakers had to come up with another name for the (still too sweet, to my palate) high-quality "pink" wines made from a single varietal...hence "blush."

Redwolf
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

:smile: yeah, I do remember some--was it Gallo's ?--rosé which was like bleached cherry coke :grin:. But don't take me wrong : I enjoyed some really good wines in Nappa area.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

On 2003-02-06 10:40, Zubivka wrote:
:smile: yeah, I do remember some--was it Gallo's ?--rosé which was like bleached cherry coke :grin:. But don't take me wrong : I enjoyed some really good wines in Nappa area.
Yeah...there were a whole bunch of them, particularly popular in the '70s. Even worse than the cheap "roses" were the fruit-flavored (or should I say "artificially fruit-flavored") "wines" (using the term loosely here)...such as "Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill." And let us not forget the hideous "Cold Duck"...which we at college referred to as "bloody foam."

There are some lovely wines produced here in the Santa Cruz Mountains...I'm particularly fond of some of the reds from the Bonny Doon Winery (talk about interesting names...two of their best sellers are "Cardinal Zin" and "Le Cigar Volante").

Hmmm...now back to naming this blush...I like the name "First Kiss" that someone else suggested.

On the other hand, if this were a Bonny Doon wine, with their penchant for slightly racy names, they'd probably name it after the beautiful pink amaryllis that grows wild hereabouts..."Naked Lady." :wink:

Redwolf
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

While this thread is taking a bit of a detour through bizarre wines, I thought it only right that I warn you that an Australian maker has just marketed a chocolate flavoured wine. Now, I wouldn't want someone stumbling upon that concoction by accident would I? BTW, I have no idea what it is called.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

On 2003-02-06 12:11, Wombat wrote:
While this thread is taking a bit of a detour through bizarre wines, I thought it only right that I warn you that an Australian maker has just marketed a chocolate flavoured wine. Now, I wouldn't want someone stumbling upon that concoction by accident would I? BTW, I have no idea what it is called.
Eeeeewwww! Gross!

If you come to Gilroy during the garlic festival, you can sample garlic wine, which is pretty darned awful too.

Redwolf
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Ah, Gilroy! "The garlic capital of the world" as it boasts...
Had to drive through it on the road from LA to SF... OK, it sounds like "Kilroy was here" in reverse. :smile:
I wonder what can be garlic wine ? Pizza-flavoured ? :???:
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I sense a gap in the market. Garlic and chocolate flavoured wine. Now what would you call *that*?
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

"Blush" as physical display often describes reaction to embarrassment, romantic overture or comment. "Blush" wine, therefore, might be thought of as innocent i.e. capable of embarrassment. There is charm as well in the idea of a receding blush, -with hint of innocence still, but acceding to passage of time or to arrows of Cupid.
"Seduction" or "Sweet Seduction" is out-too blatant, but "Receding Blush" or "Vanishing Blush" could be charming-
maybe even "Whistful Blush" for us oldsters. The truly embarrassed or desirous might like "Burning Blush".

"Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown."-Shakespeare, Henry IV , Act II

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: brianormond on 2003-02-06 16:02 ]</font>