Recycling Musical Instruments & Parts

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Recycling Musical Instruments & Parts

Post by mutepointe »

Have you ever done anything interesting with a musical instrument after it was no longer usuable as a musical instrument? Have you ever used parts of an instrument for something else?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
HDSarah
antispam: No

Re: Recycling Musical Instruments & Parts

Post by HDSarah »

I have an instrument recycled as visual art.

A friend gave me an old mandolin of his. He said it is unplayable and not worth fixing, but that it would be lovely on a wall of my log house. It hangs there as a decoration, and occasionally frustrates a mandolin player who tries to take it down and play it.
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

No, but thanks for asking! :)
Cotelette d'Agneau
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Firewood?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Denny

Post by Denny »

whistles....tent pegs
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I have a six key Bb fife that's destined to be a lamp or something one of these days, even though lamps made from dead instruments aren't really my style.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

You mean like this?

Generally it's the other way with me. I make plumbing-pipe into whistles and flutes. Although I prefer plumbing pipe that has not been in use.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

We got a free Gulbransen organ via Freecycle.com . Turns out that free was too much to pay, as the thing wasn't really fixable. It ended up in the dump, but I saved the full pedal board and eventually intend to mount it as a wall decoration in our basement family room.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
dwest

Post by dwest »

I hooked up a vacuum motor to an old pump organ we found abandoned, we gave it to a restorer once the boys were done with it. I'm sure all that crayon eventually came off.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Image

You mean like this?

Generally it's the other way with me. I make plumbing-pipe into whistles and flutes. Although I prefer plumbing pipe that has not been in use.
This is a very strong contender for 'best in show'.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
dolphinjon

Post by dolphinjon »

I bought a violin for $25 one time because I wanted the case and bow for my electric violin. The violin that came with the kit was so useless that I was ready to throw it in the trash. Then I realized it'd be a great autograph item, so I've been getting it signed by my favorite artists. So far, I've got the signatures of everyone in Enter the Haggis, and Rachel Barton Pine!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

mutepointe wrote:Have you ever done anything interesting with a musical instrument after it was no longer usuable as a musical instrument? Have you ever used parts of an instrument for something else?
When my uilleann pipes' bellows outlet stock (or blowpipe inlet stock, whichever) blew up I took the ebony blowpipe base from a bad set of mouthblown smallpipes, cut it to size and expanded the bore with a rattail file, cut a section from an old forgotten whistle tube (don't remember the key of it) and drove that on to the new beast as a ferrule just in case, wrapped it, and plugged it in. Dunno how interesting that is, but it worked, and by looking you can't tell that it never was set up that way from the start.

Other than that, not so much. Oh, wait: I have a guitar string stapled to the cat tower, bead end out and sproingy, as a plaything for herself.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dwest

Post by dwest »

Nanohedron wrote:
Other than that, not so much. Oh, wait: I have a guitar string stapled to the cat tower, bead end out and sproingy, as a plaything for herself.
Guitar strings are great things! I braided a guitar string(silver plated) ring fer ma wife when we was courting, she only wears it for special occasions as the inside don't look much like silver now. The high E is good for bite leaders for toothy fish, Muskie.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I would like to see that braided guitar string ring. That sounds interesting.

I started a thread over in the traditional string instrument forum. this is what I posted there: I save the little bead thing from guitar strings. I've been saving those forever. I've used them in a few necklaces. I could have spit at first when D'Addario went to those colored beads. Now I have way more than enough of those to make a rosary with a different color for each decade. I use guitar strings and I would consider it a great favor if there was a bass player who would send me their beads the next time they change their strings. Those beads are a size bigger. I would like to use those beads for the Our Father beads. I'm going to use a guitar pick for that middle triangle place where everything comes together.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦