Pine Pollen Time

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Pine Pollen Time

Post by crookedtune »

Gagging...... :boggle:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
dwest

Re: Pine Pollen Time

Post by dwest »

I have a green truck right now, normally it's blue. My wife's car is bright yellow and my silver Honda is just sorta yucky. Had a couple of pollen devils yesterday, like a dust devil only pollen. It could be worse but luckily the tornado took a large number of the pines when it came through.
Denny

Post by Denny »

haven't breathed fer weeks

lovely season, innit
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

yep - now it's the trees....

then it will be the grass......

then in August, it'll be ragweed - my worst offender......

I think I breathe through my nose about 10 days out of the year.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
emmline

Post by emmline »

Good to know. My ear has been perfectly unclogged thus far this Spring. So, I can rule that one out as my prime allergen nemesis.
Ragweed, otoh, is a prime suspect.
dwest

Post by dwest »

The neat thing about ragweed is the inroads it's making into Europe. It's been fascinating to watch the spread of allergies developing amongst a whole new group of unsuspecting susceptible societies. Global warming is only hastening it's domination of the world.
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

Yeah, global warming keeps shortening the ski season and lengthening the allergy season. Blah. I just tell people "I'm allergic to summer" -- I know chickweed causes me to wake up with my eyes glued shut, and pollens irritate my sinuses, but I'm not sure exactly what all bothers me. Now on C&F I learn to fear the northward march of the pines, too. By the time they'd arrive here, though, the boreal forest may have dried up and burned down, and the landscape reverted to a dry grassland. A longer growing season demands more water, and unless precip goes up with warming (currently it seems to be going down), we're in trouble.

Nearly 30 years ago, when I first moved to interior Alaska, the cross-country ski season started the beginning of October and ran through April, and sometimes even early May. The best skiing of the year was in April -- bright, sunny, warm. Lately we get so little snow and it starts warming so early that April skiing is just a memory. It's only April 5 now and this year's miniscule snow cover is already almost gone. I've had to start wiping the dogs' feet in the afternoons already, and sweeping the tracked-in dirt (from both dogs and humans) every day. Winter is such a clean season -- I miss it already.
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Not too many pine trees around here, but the oaks and maples are getting to me.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Pine isn't a problem here right now.

We have extremely high levels of oak, bayberry, and pellitory (a small flowering weed).

Gah! Several people at work (a hospital) this week inquired as to whether I had pneumonia.

What's blooming in your area? Pollen.com
Cotelette d'Agneau
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Evidently yesterday set a record for pollen count in the DC area for April. It was four thousand something. That's something that's usually reserved for grasses in the summer.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Could someone please explain the evolution benefits of allergies? I forget.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

But pine pollen is so beautiful under the microscope. Two little air sacs per grain, like angels' wings, allowing the propagule to fly so far on so slight a breeze. Pity the poor pine tree when the wind is all wrong and billions of grains are wasted in the ocean. And pine trees were here a long time before we invaded their world!
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

Lambchop wrote: What's blooming in your area? Pollen.com
That would have been a fun site, but my state isn't on the map. :really: Of course, it isn't pollen season here yet, but I bet they don't add us in a few weeks when pollen starts to fly. I'm sure Hawaii has pollen year-round, and they don't rate being on the map either. Pooh.
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

HDSarah wrote:
Lambchop wrote: What's blooming in your area? Pollen.com
That would have been a fun site, but my state isn't on the map. :really: Of course, it isn't pollen season here yet, but I bet they don't add us in a few weeks when pollen starts to fly. I'm sure Hawaii has pollen year-round, and they don't rate being on the map either. Pooh.

Oops!
Cotelette d'Agneau
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

Lambchop wrote:
Oops!
Don't worry; I don't blame YOU.

This is actually a fairly common occurrence. What I hate is when a mail order place refers to shipping rates "within the continental U.S." and then excludes Alaska. I try to teach them the word "contiguous" but it doesn't seem to help. I blame it on all those maps that show a shrunken Alaska, detached and placed as an island off of California. No wonder so many Americans seem not to know that Alaska is on the same continent as what we call "the Lower 48."