Hello from a beginner + burning question...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mockingbird
antispam: No

Hello from a beginner + burning question...

Post by Mockingbird »

I'm a person taking up the tin whistle rather late in the game--in my forties and still in the midst of rearing seven children. In fact, we homeschool, and my children were tutored in some basic music theory this past year on tin whistle, which is what inspired me to try it myself.

I have some basic familiarity with musical notation (that is, I can pick out a tune with sheet music...slowly), and I've made some half-hearted attempts at the recorder and guitar in the past. I'm a lover of traditional music and have been listening since I first stumbled across a Thistle and Shamrock program some twenty years ago. It seemed the tin whistle might be simple enough for someone like me to master eventually. I have always wanted to be able to play my heart out on some sort of instrument!

I'm using my children's cheapie "Mel Bay by Clarke" D whistles right now in hope that I might improve to the point of justifying a purchase of my own whistle.

I've taken Ryan Duns' course on YouTube, and have poked around Brother Steve's tin whistle pages trying some of the tunes and working on ornamentation. I probably started a good five or six months ago, but as you might imagine, practice sessions are not easy to come by, so I'm in that awkward spot of not being quite up to speed on *any* tune yet. Read the thread "Beginners Go Too Fast," and appreciated the advice there to use a metronome and some tips on frequency of practice. I'm sure there are many other "beginner" threads available here that I just haven't come across yet. Perhaps someone can point me to good ones...

My burning question is...most of the lessons I've encountered online make a big jump from teaching ornamentation to "fast" (for me, probably slow for the teacher) versions of tunes incorporating them. How do I get to the point where I just naturally know where to place ornamentation? What I wish I could do is take a tune played by a master teacher, slow it down, and learn it piece by piece *with* ornamentation intact. Not exactly "making it my own," but I don't know where to place taps, cuts, rolls, etc. on my own.

Also, how long do I give it before I figure I'm just hopeless and not a musician? :) I do really enjoy practicing, but I'd love to know there is a mastery stage. How long does that typically take, with daily practice?
fearfaoin

Re: Hello from a beginner + burning question...

Post by fearfaoin »

If you haven't already you should check out
board member eskin's whistle videos. He does
the tunes very slowly with ornamentation and
then runs them fast so you can hear how they
sound at speed.
http://www.tradlessons.com/?cat=27

Also, if you have a recording that you wish to
practice to, you can slow it down using many
programs:
The Amazing Slow Downer
Audacity
Best Practice
Or you can just do it with Windows Media Player

And don't worry, the more you listen to good
whistlers, the more you get an instinct of how
ornamentation should be used. It's like learning
a language, sort of.
walrii

Post by walrii »

Mockingbird wrote:Also, how long do I give it before I figure I'm just hopeless and not a musician?
You were a musician when you played your first tune.
I'd love to know there is a mastery stage.
A master is a student who has been at it while.
How long does that typically take, with daily practice?
To master the next phrase? A few minutes.
To master "all of it"? Forever.
Go now, Grasshopper and practice your whistle.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
StevieJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Mockingbird wrote:How do I get to the point where I just naturally know where to place ornamentation? ... but I don't know where to place taps, cuts, rolls, etc. on my own.
How does a typical American kid know when to say "OMG", "like" and "whatever"?

How would a kid arriving in America speaking another language and wishing to talk like American kids figure out where to interject these expressions?

For you, as someone learning a new musical language, in a musical environment you didn't grow up in, the process is similar. Nobody is going to give a kid rules as to where to say "like" etc.

You just have to... listen and pay attention, not worry too much about it, don't be in a big hurry, and let it come naturally.

As for mastery... When you think you have achieved mastery is when you start becoming obnoxious, so don't be in too much of a hurry to get there either. :)
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

One day you will be playing and say wait what did I just do. As you listen the ornaments will just subliminally plant themselves. How long will that take maybe a month, maybe 5 years but it will happen. Don't worry about playing fast. Slow things down as suggested and learn to play at the slower speed. Speed comes with practice. Many who play lightning fast do not play in correct rhythm or timing. Just relax and enjoy.
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

StevieJ wrote: .......
As for mastery... When you think you have achieved mastery is when you start becoming obnoxious, so don't be in too much of a hurry to get there either. :)

mystery surpasses mastery
she enchants the slow air,
teases dance tunes
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

talasiga wrote:
StevieJ wrote: .......

mystery surpasses mastery
she enchants the slow air,
teases dance tunes
Oh talasiga, you alliterative old hack you. :D
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

the Clarkes tin whistle book By Bill Ochs is the best---it is a extensive training guide, for reading music,playing it and ornamentation----plus----- it comes with a CD and show everything one needs to get rolling----it is a "spoonfeeders" dream------- then , its just practice and listening to others, getting ideas and such- as far as ornamentation goes, it just happens---------it is an exciting adventure---i am 48 and started 15 years ago
off and on, i have 4 kids myself--------not one of them wants to play either, what a bummer------ maybe the 5 year old someday

i was hoping one would take off so I could get a Bodhran and jam with them----------oh well good luck

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bill-Ochs-Clarke-Ti ... 985wt_1167

I dont if this one has the CD though-but you get now
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve
Mick Down Under

Post by Mick Down Under »

StevieJ wrote: How does a typical American kid know when to say "OMG", "like" and "whatever"?
And how do you pronounce something 'OMG'?! OmGah, OoMuG...
StevieJ wrote:How would a kid arriving in America speaking another language and wishing to talk like American kids figure out where to interject these expressions?
Why would anyone want to talk like an American child?! Really?! I like the sound of Scottish, Irish, Welsh and Australian chidren. They have a pleasant lilt in they're speech.
StevieJ wrote:For you, as someone learning a new musical language, in a musical environment you didn't grow up in, the process is similar. Nobody is going to give a kid rules as to where to say "like" etc.
Pretty much insert an ornament whenever you need to fill a normal persons silent spell in a conversation, that is usually used for further thought, on what next should follow on from the previous spoken word. That part of the conversation which an idiot will insert a word such as 'Like' or a non word such as 'Um'. Think ornament instead.
StevieJ wrote:You just have to... listen and pay attention, not worry too much about it, don't be in a big hurry, and let it come naturally.
Hear hear...Quite literally too.
StevieJ wrote:As for mastery... When you think you have achieved mastery is when you start becoming obnoxious, so don't be in too much of a hurry to get there either. :)
To mastery or obnoxious?! Perhaps the mastery of being obnoxious :poke: :P :D Sorry, just having some fun. No offence meant.

Mick
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Also Patience, and then Patience, and then Patience....
electricmime

Post by electricmime »

I'm a beginner as well. I've been approaching ornamentation in several ways. The first way is to avoid it as much as possible. No tonguing, and only using a cut or a tap when necessary between repeated notes. I find that when learning, its tempting to use a bit of ornamentation (particularly tonguing) to cover up sloppy fingering. I am finding that ornamentation works best when you can play crisp in the first place. Otherwise, it just sounds like you messed up.

When I am in a different practice mode, I will take a short phrase and systematically work through some ornamentation... vibrato on a held note, a slide at different spots in a run, or cut when a run is peaking high and coming back down. I'll even try some bagpipe ornamentation (throws and doublings), just to see how I like it. This is the opposite side, where I'm trying to over ornament in as many ways as I can think of. I'll make a little game of it: How many cuts can I fit in to this phrase? What does it sound like if I use a different cut or tap as my required ornamentation? I'll also try to use breathing to articulate. I have a problem of trying to play 8 bars on one breath, then spending two beats sucking in air and losing the rhythm when the sound stops for too long, even though my fingers don't stop.. works fine on bagpipe, not so much on whistle. I find that actively looking for spots to breathe really helps my flow.

Finally, I'll just play the piece for the fun of it, and in these cases I'm finding certain bits of ornamentation from my ornamentation practice just want to slip in. In general, its the airs that tend to want ornamentation, while the reels like something more spartan and crisp.

I also do the same thing with rhythm... try to play the eighth notes of a reel like clockwork, then try to play them more like a triplet or dotted rhythm. I actually try to play somewhere in the middle when I'm playing for fun, and different phrases will get different levels of bounce, depending on what feels right at the moment. I've practiced them both ways, so feel more freedom.

I feel that being aware of the extremes helps me find that comfortable middle, and I'll sometimes find something fun that I never would have found by myself otherwise.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Mick Down Under wrote:And how do you pronounce something 'OMG'?! OmGah, OoMuG...
1st ya gotta go with a southern US accent
Oh Maa Gawd (that's Maa about half way between Ma and My while being drug out a ways)

or Valley Girl..... :wink:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Mick Down Under

Post by Mick Down Under »

:lol:
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

jemtheflute wrote:........
Oh talasiga, you alliterative old hack you. :D
so caught up
discerning the alliteration
that he missed the pun
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

puting aside all the non needed joking and , hijackings-------- try the Clarkes tin Whistle book , its a good deal
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve