Thoughts about the Melody Flute from Laurel MD

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jafafa Hots
antispam: No

Thoughts about the Melody Flute from Laurel MD

Post by Jafafa Hots »

Howdy, I'm wondering what people think about a little instrument I have.
It's called a Melody Flute, made in Laurel MD. These were made and handed out to American schoolkids by the gazillions as a "pre-band" instrument from the 40s through the 70s.

Click the link below for a flickr page to view enlargements.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jafafahots ... 554974323/

I didn't make a connection between it and tin whistles until I got my whistles and realized that the fingering is identical.

In the picture you can see that what it is is essentially a sort of metal fife with a permanent "cheater" attached. I'm assuming everyone here knows about the cheaters they added to fifes as a temporary fipple.

Anywho, apart from the way you hold this, this thing seems to me to essentially be a tin whistle... and in fact, now that I play it with that idea in my head, with that style in mind, it doesn't sound like a schoolkid's toy, to me it sounds freaking great.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with these, and if they would characterize them as a form of tin whistle - or does the sound quality depart too far - or does the sideways fipple rule it out. I now love the sound of these and wonder what others think.

You can get them for about ten bucks on eBay, they're so common... yet rugged and sturdy.
tin-titan

Re: Thoughts about the Melody Flute from Laurel MD

Post by tin-titan »

Hello, l live somewhat close to Laurel, MD. I have never heard or seen this particular type of fife before. I have a metal fife that I purchased at Stone Mountain, GA. The fingering may be like a colonial/civil war fife used by Fife and Drum Corps here in the eastern part of the US. Ed Boyle at beafifer.com used to sell clamp on cheater fixtures for fifes. He also sells very fine colonial fifes called Model F fifes. Yours looks very well made and I would imagine they are not that easy to play. Very interesting instrument. Sweetheart Flute company makes a metal fife. I think beafifer and Sweet heart may have fingering charts for fifes. Thanks.
"Wake up your bones,
Tune up your drones,
Let flee that heavenly tone."
Jafafa Hots

Post by Jafafa Hots »

tin-titan wrote:Hello, l live somewhat close to Laurel, MD. I have never heard or seen this particular type of fife before. I have a metal fife that I purchased at Stone Mountain, GA. The fingering may be like a colonial/civil war fife used by Fife and Drum Corps here in the eastern part of the US. Ed Boyle at beafifer.com used to sell clamp on cheater fixtures for fifes. He also sells very fine colonial fifes called Model F fifes. Yours looks very well made and I would imagine they are not that easy to play. Very interesting instrument. Sweetheart Flute company makes a metal fife. I think beafifer and Sweet heart may have fingering charts for fifes. Thanks.
Actually, it's pretty easy to play, and frankly in my hands at least sounds way better than my Clarke whistles.

They had to be easy, since they were made and marketed towards kids to learn basic music theory before tackling a "real" band instrument. That's also why the "cheater" is permanent, welded on.

There's biographical info on the man who had this company somewhere out there on the web. Apparently was fairly prominent in the town.

Anyway, I would encourage the curious to nab one of these for cheap off ebay. They are rugged, easy to play and sound sweet (to my ears and with my inexperienced fingers)
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

I bought one off eBay about ten years ago. Probably still have it.

My take on it is: Good ideas live long and prosper.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

how many octaves? key?
Denny

Post by Denny »

Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Jafafa Hots

Post by Jafafa Hots »

Three octaves, key of C.

In some of my reading I remember seeing it said that the company made other kinds, but this is the only type I've ever seen.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Huh. I didn't know there was anything in Laurel but the NSA...

I saw one of those at a shop in Historic Williamsburg. It amused
me, but I didn't try it. I think the best thing about the one you
have is the awesome case design: just add a little side pocket
so you can slide the mouthpiece in....

I can't see that "cheater" as anything but a fipple. There should
be more perturbation from the extension of the air column past
the windway, but it sure seems like this is a fipple flute like the
whistle or recorder.
Denny

Post by Denny »

I think that Terry McGee should get on this.
If a flute was set up with a movable mount that held the aiming bit.
He could use different angles & distance from the hole
and make aiming bits with different embouchures
muck with air pressure, speed
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
sgerards
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by sgerards »

I have an identical one bought at a folk festival in Seattle in the early or mid '80's. I recall it was in the catalog of a former outdoor gear company called Early Winters. Mine is in the Key of C and I still have the tune sheet it came with. I threw it in a drawer for 15 years or so. Found it one day when I was bored and started fooling with it. Up to this time I was music-phobic and was sure I could never play anything. After about three weeks of trying, I was standing in my kitchen one night and blew a recognizable (at least to me) Old Macdonalds farm. I was so surprised I laughed out loud!

I still only play for myself, though I did do a busking fundraiser thing called "Street Music" in Spokane, WA last summer. First and only time I've played in front of strangers!

I've been playing the whistle ever since so I have an affection for this thing though my example requires more breath control than anything I've tried since. Think I'll go home tonight and try it again.
tin-titan

Post by tin-titan »

Here is the clamp-on "cheater" mouth piece for the fife or possible flute. The item is on http://beafifer.com

A Mouthpiece for Your Fife?
(Do you really need one?)

I have been teaching people to play the fife for over fifty years. Throughout those years and many hundreds of students, I have encouraged all of them to learn to play properly using a well-conditioned embouchure, without any mouthpiece. In the various 19th century Civil War music schools, particularly when the death toll in battle was high, "cheeters" were sometimes issued to hasten the learning process. They have their flaws: In my opinion, the true tonality of the fife cannot be obtained and tonguing is difficult, or at least quite different.

Since the establishment of Be A Fifer!, I have received a constant influx of e-mails with many questions. Where can I get a good fife bag? I now have one. Do I have to oil my fife? If so, what should I use? I now have a maintenance kit with bore oil and wax. My e-mail is a suggestion box for me. The hardest question has always been in regard to mouthpieces. If it is a new student, I tell them to keep on trying; learn to play the instrument the correct way...without a mouthpiece. It usually takes no more than a few days or weeks of diligence and practice to develop a proper embouchure..

However, I am also contacted by people with dentures, dental braces or no teeth at all! Although I still have most of my teeth, I can understand the problem. Some messages deal with emphysema, asthma, and other lung or breathing problems. In these cases, I simply didn't know what to do. I suggested that they visit eBay and other on-line auction houses. Even then, I later heard that the authentic (and often expensive) Civil War relic that they bought wouldn't fit on their fife or didn't work properly. If you have all of your own natural teeth and can breath normally, read no further!

For those of you who have dental or respiratory problems, I rounded up a collection of "cheeters" from my friends and selected one that would fit a broad range of instruments. It looked like it was made by George Cloos, but it had no name imprinted on it. I then contacted a first-rate pewter forge and had a few cast in lead-free pewter. (This should provide food for thought among those who use genuine 19th century mouthpieces. Lead can be toxic!)

The device will fit on fifes ranging from 3/4 inch outer diameter at the blow hole, down to 11/16 inch; maybe smaller with a bit of shimming. For example, the original Ferrary is a slender fife and would require a bit of tape to tighten it up. Many original Civil War fifes had a quite large diameter. This is why they often had two grooves cut into the wood in order to fit a mouthpiece, as was done with very old Cloos and Cloos/Crosby fifes. It will fit on the later ones, like those made by Penzel/Mueller. As near as I can figure, at 13/16 inch diameter, it will not fit some Cooperman fifes I have, even with a longer screw. Be sure to measure the fife at the blow hole. Many fifes taper out from the ferrules.

The mouthpiece will fit the Model F fife perfectly. It will also fit the classical Bb plastic fife, although it may be tricky to get it over the ferrules. It will fit a lot of fifes, but definitely not all. Please bear in mind that the mouthpiece is made from pewter, which is a soft alloy. It is held tight with a heart-shaped screw, just like the original. The screw is made from steel which is harder than the pewter. The pewter threads cannot take a lot of wear and tear. Install it on a fife so that it works, and leave it there! If you can play without it, please do so.

The cost? $44.95 plus shipping.
"Wake up your bones,
Tune up your drones,
Let flee that heavenly tone."
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

The Melody Flute pops up here occasionally. A few more threads:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70530
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47554

It's a transverse whistle, which is itself neither good nor bad. Intended as an "EZ fife", I think. Yes, key of C, which makes it less useful for ITM. The windway is tall and the window is large, so the thing really sucks up breath and has an unfocused, airy tone. When driven to its optimum level it's quite loud - I'd almost say too loud. It has none of the chirp and crisp response expected of a good C whistle. I also find the squared-off mouthpiece uncomfortable in the mouth.

I've experimented with a windway insert to reduce the height and focus a narrower stream onto the blade, and the result seems an improvement. It's an interesting novelty instrument to fool with, but there are better choices for playing ITM.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Jafafa Hots

Post by Jafafa Hots »

MTGuru wrote:The Melody Flute pops up here occasionally. A few more threads:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70530
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47554

It's a transverse whistle, which is itself neither good nor bad. Intended as an "EZ fife", I think. Yes, key of C, which makes it less useful for ITM. The windway is tall and the window is large, so the thing really sucks up breath and has an unfocused, airy tone. When driven to its optimum level it's quite loud - I'd almost say too loud. It has none of the chirp and crisp response expected of a good C whistle. I also find the squared-off mouthpiece uncomfortable in the mouth.

I've experimented with a windway insert to reduce the height and focus a narrower stream onto the blade, and the result seems an improvement. It's an interesting novelty instrument to fool with, but there are better choices for playing ITM.
I can see what you mean, I think.
I know essentially nothing about how a tin whistle is supposed to sound.
(One of the things about me is I have never had any ability or desire to play music that I didn't compose myself. Just a quirk which I don't fully understand)

But anyway the impression I get from it is that it sounds more "flutey" than "whistley," (if that makes any sense) which I'm sure was the intent of the manufacturer. But I do love the sounds I'm starting to get out of it, for my own purposes.

Also, I think there may be some variance in the quality of these, as I haven't had the breath control issues or other problems others have mentioned.

I think I can see how the sound, being airier and closer to a flute, would be all wrong for some traditional whistle tunes.
Jafafa Hots

Post by Jafafa Hots »

(oh and off hand, just thought I'd mention that there's another "pre-band" instrument that was given out to school kids in far greater numbers than this one, called the "Tonette." More like a recorder, extremely common. Just in case someone is interested in ancient American school music ephemera.)
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Jafafa Hots wrote:the impression I get from it is that it sounds more "flutey" than "whistley," (if that makes any sense) which I'm sure was the intent of the manufacturer.
Yes, I think that's right. But having pulled it out again now for a toot (see what you made me do!), I'd revise my description a bit. It's actually got more chirp and bite than I remembered - I'd almost say a kind of harsh edge on top of the flutiness. And the air requirement is actually pretty modest. So much for my memory. :-)
Jafafa Hots wrote:there's another "pre-band" instrument that was given out to school kids in far greater numbers than this one, called the "Tonette."
Yep ... Tonette, Flutophone, Conn Song Flute, all variations on a theme.

When I was around 4 I also had a whistle in the shape of the Queen Mary (the ship, not the Tudor). The three smokestacks were the finger holes, and I think I figured out how to overblow a complete octave like a tabor pipe. It made a fine instrument of parental torture ...
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.