Well, I passed! ... just ...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Well, I passed! ... just ...

Post by benhall.1 »

100 is a pass, 120 is a merit and 130 (I think) is a distinction.

There's no doubt in my mind that it was the scales that let me down, and I'll get the comments to prove it in a few days' time. The annoying thing being that, before the exam, I would have said that the scales were my strongest point. Not so in the exam itself though. Never mind, I'll just have to really go for it for Grade V! :D

And it has given me a new catch-phrase, to be wheeled out whenever and wherever possible: I may not be able to get Grade 3 merit, but even I know that!

:D
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Well, I passed! ... just ...

Post by s1m0n »

Can you take it again looking for the extra three points, or would that be a little absurd?

~~

As they say, an amateur practises until he can get it right, but a professional practises until he can't get it wrong.

~~

And last but not least, congratulations!
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Answer 1: no, that would be daft.

Answer 2: um, yes, funnily enough, that very thought occurred to me when I was preparing for the exam. But I thought I had scales covered. And even so, I was doing all of them every day. I just froze in the exam. Lack of practical exam experience, I think.

Oh, and ...

Thanks Simon!

:)
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I know all about freezing - I can stand in front of 3,000 people and compete in a forty minute extemporised public speaking contest. I could probably even do it naked if I had to, but I have crushing musical stagefight if I think I'm being judged. You've done way better than I could have managed.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

The first time you undergo a particular test (or kind of test) is always a trial run of sorts, I think. You're learning how to manage the test as much as to execute whatever it is you're being tested on.

Which is my way of saying "Good show", Sir Ben. :-) Now onward ...
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

In the wider scale of things - well done! It's a fair old long time since you did a Grade exam! What, about 34-5 years, I'd guess? And those were on fiddle and the bang-twang machine.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

A bit longer ago than that, actually, ol' chap. I'd say either 37 or 38 years.

Thanks chaps. I do need and appreciate the encouragement one receives hereabouts. Just so's you know - whether I manage it or not is another matter - my aim is to try to demonstrate that it is still possible to persuade the terribly conservative (oh how ironic!) establishment, as represented by the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music, that one can be good enough on a conical bore, 8-key, 19c wooden flute to reach Grade 8.

So, I'm afraid there's more encouragement yet to do.

:) :wink:
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

First, congratulations.

Second, what is on a ABRSM test?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I.D.10-t wrote:what is on a ABRSM test?
Have a look on Ben's original thread - there was discussion of all that and there are links to the ABRSM website where you can find full syllabus info. Oh, what the hell, here's the link again......
Last edited by jemtheflute on Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
piedwhistler

Post by piedwhistler »

Congrats! :party:
Tie the Ribbons: Closet Confessions of a Wannabe Traditional Irish Flute Player
http://tietheribbons.wordpress.com
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Thanks, I.D.10-t.

And it's as follows (at least for grade 3):

3 pieces, one each from 3 given lists of about 7 or 8 pieces in each
Aural tests
Sight-reading
Scales:

Chromatic, 1 octave, starting on F
Bb major, going up as far as the F on the top stri ... ahem ... in the third octave
D major, 2 octaves
F major, 2 octaves
G major, 2 octaves
A minor, going up as far as the E in the third octave
D minor, 2 octaves
E minor, 2 octaves
G minor, 2 octaves

For all the actual keys (ie everything except the chromatic scale) you need to do both the scale and the arpeggio, both tongued and slurred (in one, two-octave breath).

For Grade V, there are just over twice as many scales, plus a diminshed seventh and three dominant sevenths.

You did ask ...
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Congratulations. Just curious, what's a grade 1 because I'm sure I'm not one of those either?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

mutepointe wrote:Congratulations. Just curious, what's a grade 1 because I'm sure I'm not one of those either?
Go look at the syllabuses on the ABRSM website - the requirements for all the Grades are available as pdf files to view or to download, individually or the whole bally lot, I think. the basic format is the same for all the grades, but obviously the difficulty of things required as well as the amount of each (e.g longer scales, lengthier set pieces, greater knowledge of theory) and the expected level of proficiency even at simple things increases as you go up the grades.

Here's the Grade 1 syllabus.

Incidentally, regarding the prevalence/popularity of these exams around the world, I was by chance today looking at a YouTube channel of a very talented young Hong Kong Chinese fluter who boasts of having a distinction in his ABRSM Grade 8.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

I.D.10-t wrote:First, congratulations.

Second, what is on a ABRSM test?
Oh, and it's not a "test". It's an exam. Rolly's very sensitive about such things, because he worked really hard for it. Poor old Woody didn't get a chance, even though he had put in a lot of the groundwork. Still, he's coming home this weekend. :D