Flute making- a family business

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Dominic Allan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Flute making- a family business

Post by Dominic Allan »

I was tidying a cupboard this morning when I found this:
It's a flute made for me by one of my children a few years ago, she was three or four at the time. It appears to be some kind of end blown harmonic flute, I haven't got much sound out of it. Note the jointed construction and glued on tone holes(?)
An Allan flute but not made by me!
hans
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Re: Flute making- a family business

Post by hans »

How sweet!

Dominic, can you say something about your student flutes please? A friend inquired, and I could not say much, only that they seem to be very good value at £150 for a wooden flute! Do your student flutes have a tapered bore? Do they have a brass tuning slide or a slide joint? Is the wood sealed in any way, being a softer wood?
Dominic Allan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dominic Allan »

I've updated my website.
I'll try and get a picture up soon , I'm new to web design and when I try to put too much on a page it pushes some other stuff off!
There is a picture on my myspace, if you srcoll down.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

A year or so ago, my daughter hung out in the workshop for a couple of hours while I was making whistles. Same thing -- a few days later, she had made me a "whistle" out of a paper-towel tube. She even cut a window and beak and poked tone holes in it. How wonderfully creative kids are! :)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.