Bamboo Flutes for Irish Music?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Henri_VIII
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Bamboo Flutes for Irish Music?

Post by Henri_VIII »

I'm new to the flute and I would appreciate some advice.

I have an Olwell D Bamboo that I'm learning the Piper's Grip for but I'm not yet there. I really enjoy the wonderfully strong honk I get when I do manage to cover the tone holes properly -- the whole room lights up and all's well with the world.

I think I'd like to add an F in Bamboo to my collection to nurse me along a bit while I'm working out my finger stretching for the D. I'm seeking a forthright sound, not a shy one.

How would you compare Olwell's Bamboo F and Billy Miller's F? Are there other bamboo makers I should consider for Irish music? Yes, I realize that I'll have to play the F at home by myself but I'll venture out once I've mastered it and then the D. I'll probably never play in a session but I hope to play in small jams at friend's homes.

If you have a used F for sale, please PM me.

Cheers,
Henri near Daytona Beach
jim stone

Re: Bamboo Flutes for Irish Music?

Post by jim stone »

I play an Olwell A and a Billy Miller Bb (both high). They work very well for ITM.
It may not be the most trad sound, it's a bamboo sound, but
once you know what you are doing they are fine for ITM.

It is very hard to compare, as the flutes are in different keys and there are
only two. My IMPRESSION
is that Pat O's are better and Billy Miller's are very good.
Pat's craftsmanship is incredible.
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Sorry for taking this in a different direction, but I'm curious to know what role a bamboo flute plays for those of you who also have a wood flute. Back-up? Different sound? Different style of music? Copying Brian Finnegan?
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Tintin wrote:Sorry for taking this in a different direction, but I'm curious to know what role a bamboo flute plays for those of you who also have a wood flute. Back-up? Different sound? Different style of music? Copying Brian Finnegan?
Once upon a time...in the last millenium even...when there were no good polymer flutes...and Tipples (tiples actually) had strings on them....long before Finnegan but not Ian Anderson...

Just my opinion but going back some years now, bamboo flutes were the best option for inexpensive beginners flutes. There weren't a lot of wooden flutes except the hundred year old types which were usually in poor repair/tuning. So bamboo flutes got you going until you found a decent wooden flute. Bamboo/cane folk flutes were sold at a lot of folk festivals back in the day (when there were abundant folk). I was lucky and ran into Olwell. I had three of his cane flutes as well as several others from different makers. They were light and easy to carry around in a backpack. They did not clash with tie-dyed attire and smelled OK around a camp fire. They sounded darned good and played very well. And you could buy several in different keys for just a little cash. :)

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I play them in the keys of B flat and A. they are light, loud, easy to play, expressive and they have a lovely sound.
also they don't cost an arm and a leg. Great for busking.
Denny

Post by Denny »

I'll make it three old farts that have liked bamboo! :thumbsup:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
LorenzoFlute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Tintin wrote:Sorry for taking this in a different direction, but I'm curious to know what role a bamboo flute plays for those of you who also have a wood flute. Back-up? Different sound? Different style of music? Copying Brian Finnegan?
I started playing ITM on a bansuri. I almost never use it now, maybe just sometimes when I don't want to assemble my blackwood flute and I'm not in the mood of playing the whistle. Bamboo flutes in non traditional keys may be ok though...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
michael ward

Post by michael ward »

Get an Olwell F. They are excellent. Check out Desi Wilkinson playing his on Shady Woods. Simply wonderful.
Henri_VIII

Post by Henri_VIII »

Thanks, All, for your replies about the merits of your bamboo flutes.

I have two flutes -- the resounding Olwell Bamboo in D and an easier to finger but much more restrained Casey Burns Folk Flute, also in D. The CB FF is very nice and friendly and I know I'll get more out of it soon enough but I'm just drawn to the honk of the more challenging Olwell.

As suggested, I'm more inclined to keep the Burns flute safe at home while this Olwell will be allowed to roam a bit.

Of course, a wooden Olwell would be just grand but another wooden flute is not in the budget.

Why bamboo? I hope to cut some of our 30' bamboo to make some flutes some day and I just think it's a great material for all sorts of things. I realize that there are quite a few nice polymer flutes out there but making music from what amounts to a large piece of grass just makes me smile in a way that no artificial material instrument can. We're currently drying out several 7' sections of Agave stalks to make digeridoos out of so bamboo flutes shouldn't be too far behind.

Do we have many other amateur didge or flute makers out there? Our McSpadden mountain dulcimer kit turned out way beyond expectations and it's been downhill from there.

Cheers,
Henri near Daytona Beach
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Henri_VIII wrote:Do we have many other amateur didge or flute makers out there?
Yes, quite a few of us here make flutes out of various materials. You'll also see a fair number of the non-amateur makers around here as well. Welcome to the neighborhood. Good luck with your flutes and didges.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

it is my OPINION as a listener of ITM that virtuosic whistle playing is superior to virtuosic "Irish flute" playing when it comes to interpretaation of pieces that like a lot of sliding.

I believe a thin walled bamboo flute with large tone holes (as in the North Indian bamboo flutes - bansuri) is most amenable to transfering those virtuosic whistle ways to flute. For a start the thin walls and largish holes are more reponsive to half holing etc, the flute is light like a whistle and all these things have an effect on a whole body approach to flute playing.

my opinion here is only addressing one facet of the music and I do not mean to imply that the Irish flute does not contribute its own unique appeal to the tradition.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit