What's up with all the college kids and track bikes?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
LimuHead
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

What's up with all the college kids and track bikes?

Post by LimuHead »

The title says it.

A question for the up-to-date in hipness.

Some history:

I work part-time on a college campus and last semester I noticed several students riding track bikes around (the fixed-gear kind of bike, with no brakes!).

This semester I've seen even more students on campus riding track bikes. I'd say it's close to 20-25% of the cyclists I see on campus are now riding these (what appear to me to be) death machines.

What's up with that?
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: What's up with all the college kids and track bikes?

Post by BillChin »

Fixie's have become the "in" thing. The low cost, low maintenance, rough riding style of sliding to brake, appeal to the youth. Most of the fixie's aren't track bikes. Most are made from stripping down other kinds of bikes.

For flat terrain, high theft areas, and most college campuses fit that description, a fixie is one of the best ways to go. A cheap bike isn't much of a target to begin with. If it gets stolen, not much money loss. Next to no maintenance, is another huge positive for busy students.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Seem remarkably dangerous to me. Sure, I wouldn't bring an expensive bike to campus, but a Wal-Mart cheapie with brakes makes a lot more sense than a brakeless machine that is difficult to control in traffic. Plus, if you live anywhere with any hills at all, a couple of gears wouldn't hurt-- even an old style 3 speed with coaster (pedal) brakes.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
emmline

Post by emmline »

I don't know. I have 2 undergrads, 1 grad, and one about-to-be college student. I've never heard of that kind of bike.
dwest

Post by dwest »

There are a heck of a lot of good frame builders out there who make fixie frames at a much lower cost than a multi-speed. Fixies are better for a number of things that have become more common amongst cyclists such as stunt riding, bike polo, etc. Fixies are usually lower maintenance but there are an almost infinite variety of ways to build your bike and some aren't so low maintenance. Some folks really like to "pimp" their rides so to speak and there are a number of accessory makers who make some very fancy components for fixies and multi-speeds for that matter too. Many have brake systems that work just as effectively as any other bike. There is no singular fixie configuration. I rode fixies all through college, a year and a bit ago. Now days I'm more obsessed about figures on my GPS, raising some and lowering others, I rarely notice the fixies now other than to say "On Your Left!"
LimuHead
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

Wow, you guys are the epitome of hipness!

So they're called 'fixies'? What a strange name. Are the riders called 'fixers', 'fixiers', 'fix bikers', 'fix riders', 'crazy'?

I have seen only 2 examples of fine bike handling skills by these immortals:

1- I once saw a guy on a fixie fly past me and race up to a 7" curb. He hopped his rear tire to slow down and bunny-hopped the curb. I was severely impressed.

2- This morning as I was walking to my building on campus there were 2 or 3 fixie riders hanging out. One of them did a wheelie around a light post using one hand to guide himself around the post. It was impressive, and I'm sure a dandy way to strut your stuff to the local, hip feminine population, but the curb-hopping guy wins it for me.

I guess I kind of get it, but not really.

I'd love to hear about any fixie bike riders' skills you've witnessed or personally performed.

Thanks for your input btw,
Aldon
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

From my perspective, its all about style for the kids. I want to convert my old Raleigh Compettion to a real fixed with fenders and brakes. Riding fixed is great for getting your RPM up. Every time I used to ride at Dominguez Hills, my spin would be so much better.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Danny's become so famous there's even a song about him, "Oh Danny boy, the bikes, the bikes are...." My one concern with fixie riders here is rarely do they wear a helmet. If I counted up all the broken bones and sutures we've had in this household from biking mishaps, even with appropriate safety gear, it would take me all day just for the non-racing injurys. Here's a little something from the early days of fixie riding http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu2MrSxuPz8
highwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by highwood »

When I was in high school in England - that would be the 70's - I used to ride a "fixie" in the winter to avoid having to cleaning oiling and so on the gears etc.

I did keep my front brake so that I could stop quickly.

In college I rode a single speed, it had been painted with latex paint by some previous owner and did not look worth stealing!
Nothing quite like blowing past people on their fancy racing bikes on what looks like a piece of junk single speed. :thumbsup:
“When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except put up with it until the wind changes.” T.S. Elliot
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

They have been back in for at least three years or so because I remember the bike shop guys talking about it when we got one . My son bought it for UCSB and loves it. I tried riding it, the inability to coast your pedals drove me crazy. Can't beat it for fitness. Talk about a leg workout. And as pointed out, it's so dang simple to maintain. To me, the skill is just riding it for any length of time and having your legs in constant motion no matter what. They rarely use brakes if at all or just remove the front ones that come with it. I know he rides it every day to class. UCSB is a big bike school.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?