Our Favorite Rides

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Our Favorite Rides

Post by mutepointe »

This is a '74 Gold Duster. I had a baby blue Gold Duster. My brother received this as a used car from my parents as his college graduation present 4 years before I received it as my college graduation present. No one appreciated the fact that somehow I got less of a present than he did. Mom & Dad like him best. Anyway.....my two favorite things about this car were that the springs in the driver's seat were totally gone, so I sat low, very low and this car had the strangest air vents. The air vents were down by the front seat people's feet and had these doors with handles. The doors were at least 6 inch squares and when open, a person could put their feet in the vent. The vents were like wind tunnels.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
emmline
antispam: No

Re: Our Favorite Rides

Post by emmline »

I knew kids in high school who drove cars like that and listened to Crack the Sky.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Dude this is it, nothing else has ever been as good. 33 windows plus a sunroof, use to watch the submarine races on the lake.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

My current ride is gold, like the Duster, but very much more functional. It's my second Outback, very good in bad conditions, incredibly useful, whether camping or hauling a few yards of mulch. Lots of run to drive, too.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
missy

Post by missy »

my first car (except mine was blue) - it was my dad's before I got it (1966 Chevy II Nova)

I drove it until it had 150,000 on it, sold it to a friend who drove it until it had 200,000 on it, he sold it to a friend who drove it to the junk yard with over 300,000 on it.

That car would go through anything. It had a straight block 6 in it, and you could climb in the engine compartment to work on it. No air, no air pollution stuff, just an engine.

Tom's pride back in his wild days:

Started out as orange, but after a massive wreck was rebuilt and painted black. He had it bored out so much he had to go to the airport for gas for it.

Tom's current toy:

Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

First Ride . . . 1963 Rambler American, light blue:

And, of course, my current:

Cotelette d'Agneau
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

I learned to drive on a '67 Kaiser Jeep Wagoneer, which my family kept running into the mid 80s. A tank of a beast.

At one point my sister got rear-ended by some kid in a brand new (80s) Bronco. It stove in his front entire end, but moved the jeep's rear fender by less than an inch.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

And unless I'm mistaken, no wasting space on that dashboard with something as silly as a radio. So did you all sing while traveling?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

mutepointe wrote:And unless I'm mistaken, no wasting space on that dashboard with something as silly as a radio. So did you all sing while traveling?
That wasn't the actual car, but we didn't have a radio, either. As I recall, on long drives ,mostly we asked, "are we almost there yet?"
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Lambchop wrote:First Ride . . . 1963 Rambler American, light blue:

Push-button transmission? That's what my (toad-colored) '63 Classic had.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
dwest

Post by dwest »

Drove one of these for a short while. Black, push button transmission, Seneca model, floated over everything, 80mph felt like 40mph. Caught on fire almost took one of my bicycles with it.

pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

My first car and my favorite. She rides like a boat.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

This was my car in high school. I think I bought it in 1975 - an incredible machine with 43k miles for $795. I later found this ad at a flea market that shows it in the same color and vinyl top as mine. The lady with the mink coat didn't come with my car, though!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
dwest

Post by dwest »

My wife started driving when she was four. Her ride was a small car like the one pictured that my father-in-law had found somewhere in Bremen, Germany after the war. She had to give it up at five and some months when they came to the States. She then waited another thirteen years before her dad would let her drive again. Now all she thinks about are small convertibles which fit me like an undersized glove.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

A hog. Of course.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician