FS - Murray 8-Key Boxwood Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
JessieK
antispam: No

FS - Murray 8-Key Boxwood Flute

Post by JessieK »

Hi. I'm no longer pregnant (my third child was born in late January), and I have been spending some time with my flutes again (I never can play very well when I'm pregnant - darn hormones). You may remember that I posted about my experience in dealing with Sam Murray. You can find that thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72647

Since the other thread, I sanded the holes gently. There are no bits sticking out. I'm not sure about the pads. I am playing better now that I'm not pregnant, and the pads seem to seal ok, but they are a strange material. I'd want the opinion of a maker/repairer on these. There is another issue that I didn't even know about at the time of the other thread: seasoning. There are no cracks, no dryness, even, but the flute has warped. It's common with boxwood. It's called the Banana effect. You can see it in one of the pictures below. The warp is mostly in the upper body section. There are no issues with fitting together or tuning. If you don't like the banana, I wonder if a repairer could fix the warp to some degree by humidifying it and applying pressure.

I could take the time to send it off to someone for a look-over and potential repadding, and I may do that, but I want to offer it for sale here first instead, in case someone else would love it. Sam's design is very special, and his flutes have an excellent reputation in spite of the inconsistency of his craftsmanship and customer service. This could turn into someone's favorite flute. With the two payments (deposit and balance) and the currency exchange, I paid $4050 for it. According to Sam, with the textured rings it should be worth amost $5000, but I think that's a stretch. Anyway, I am going to try something that others have done, but I never have. I am opening the floor to offers, so bring 'em on. PM or email (jessie AT madefromcoins.com).

In any case, I hope you enjoy the pictures. It is lovely. There's something magical about boxwood.

~JessieD
lllebret

Re: FS - Murray 8-Key Boxwood Flute

Post by lllebret »

I have a boxwood traverso that becomes banana shaped when dry/unplayed; when I reoil it it pretty much straightens out (at least it is only very slightly warped when rehydrated). I do not apply pressure - it just straightens out after being oiled, but it takes awhile. I would like to add that while it is warped it looks funny but still seems to play the same - evidently that bore doesn't mind being curved.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Bananas like the climate of the very, very tropical equator,
so you should never put bananas in the refrigerator.
ImNotIrish
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ImNotIrish »

Jesse,
Lovely looking flute. Is it the photo that makes the warp look so extreme? Just curious if it is as curved as it appears to be?
Arbo
m31
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by m31 »

ImNotIrish wrote:Jesse,
Lovely looking flute. Is it the photo that makes the warp look so extreme? Just curious if it is as curved as it appears to be?
Arbo
Zoom lenses, especially when used at wide-angle focal lengths, almost invariably introduce significant barrel distortion, which is most apparent if straight objects are captured near the edges of the frame. I'm guessing the diagonal shot is probably representative of the flute's actual curvature.
eilam

Post by eilam »

"Banana effect" because it turned yellow?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Nah, because it's apeeling.

(I like bananas, but they have such a big pit!)
eilam

Post by eilam »

as ling as the tone is crisp like bananachips
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Ernie: "What?"
Bert: "I said, YOU'VE GOT A FLUTE IN YOUR EAR!"
Ernie: "What? I can't hear you; I've got a flute in my ear!"
Bert: What a banana sense of humor you have.
Ernie: The trouble with "banana" is, you don't know when to stop spelling it.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Flute appears orange to me.

(Orange you glad I didn't say banana?)

R
Dominic Allan

Post by Dominic Allan »

The pads look like synthetic clarinet pads to me, I think that they are made from neoprene. I personally don't like them because they can be difficult to seat and don't look so good. However, once seated they do work well and can last a long time.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

I am sorry, but I don't think those textured rings make much of a difference in appearence. I am pretty shocked that that situation happened.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Oops...I missed the conversation.

Um, the warp is a bit less than in the warp picture (the picture magnifies the effect), but I didn't want to mislead anyone. The distance diagonal picture is accurate, but it's possible that there is a bit more warp from a different angle.

Banana because it's curved AND yellow, I always thought.

I agree about the rings.

Still accepting offers. :)
~JessieD
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

By the way, I am open to trades.
~JessieD
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I see the embouchure is wonky, especially the back edge. I not long ago met and had a toot on another recent boxwood Murray and although I can't and would not wish to say other than it played very nicely indeed, I was very unimpressed by the general finishing, and in particular the near side of the embouchure chimney was very wonky - nothing like symmetrical or evenly cut..... seemed unfinished to my eye. Even the working side wasn't as tidy as I'd expect to see.... it didn't seem to upset sound production, mind, but did make me wonder how much better it might be if done less crudely. The lack of attention to detail was, to say the least, disappointing. I didn't have the heart/had more tact (for once!) than to point it out to the owner, who is rather in love with her new baby - justifiably so in many respects.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads