Message board structure

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TomB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TomB »

p.s.
Maybe there should be a rule that you have to have 1000 posts before you go trying to change everyone else's groove
"Sorry" for having an opinion about this. I wasn't trying to "change everyone else's groove", just trying to make it smoother. Everyone has a voice and should use it!
[/quote]

Personally, I welcome all opinions, differing or not. It's through these differences that I learn to think and contemplate outside of my own world. I hope that you continue to make your feelings/thoughts known. Welcome.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

On 2003-02-05 09:58, Bala wrote:

p.s.
Maybe there should be a rule that you have to have 1000 posts before you go trying to change everyone else's groove
"Sorry" for having an opinion about this. I wasn't trying to "change everyone else's groove", just trying to make it smoother. Everyone has a voice and should use it!
Nothing wrong with having an opinion and airing it. (Oops, I don't have 1000 posts either.) Just don't expect to be agreed with. You'll get used to that in time; we all have to. :smile:

I think what you might be missing is that there is a rhythm to life here that a lot of us really like. We've found a board we like and want it to continue to have the qualities we like. Being an unfolding 'shaggy dog' story is perhaps the central quality. We don't want efficiency, we don't care whether the trains run on time, we warn the impatient about threads that are blatantly OT by writing 'OT' in the title and there are archives waiting to be searched for those who want to digest the information here systematically. That's just the way we are. The comments above reflect this. Relax, sit back and have a beer. Enjoy! :razz:
TomB

Post by TomB »

On 2003-02-05 10:12, Wombat wrote:
I think what you might be missing is that there is a rhythm to life here that a lot of us really like. We've found a board we like and want it to continue to have the qualities we like. Being an unfolding 'shaggy dog' story is perhaps the central quality. We don't want efficiency, we don't care whether the trains run on time, we warn the impatient about threads that are blatantly OT by writing 'OT' in the title and there are archives waiting to be searched for those who want to digest the information here systematically. That's just the way we are. The comments above reflect this. Relax, sit back and have a beer. Enjoy! :razz:
Wombat has said it best- "relax, sit back and have a beer"- :grin:
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Bala,

The fact that people are pretty sceptical about your suggestions is no big surprise; if something works, peoples' natural conservatism tend to make them prefer the "old" way to another, newer & unknown way.

But this is true not only for us "old-timers" on the chiffboard, but also for you, who are new to the chiffboard, but appearently more experienced with other boards. I believe your post shows <i>your</i> conservatism, ie. you are familiar with other boards and would like to retain that familiarity on the chiffboard.

My advice would be; sit back and relax, try out the board as-is for a while, and after you've gained some familiarity with it, if you still feel it needs changing, suggest so. Your ideas certainly have merit - but so do many of the concepts used in <i>this</i> particular board.

:smile:
Jens
Bala

Post by Bala »

My advice would be; sit back and relax, try out the board as-is for a while, and after you've gained some familiarity with it, if you still feel it needs changing, suggest so. Your ideas certainly have merit - but so do many of the concepts used in this particular board.
Thank you, and will do!
That's just the way we are. The comments above reflect this. Relax, sit back and have a beer. Enjoy!
Yeah, I guess I see that. It's just tough to stay on top of things with the large volume of posts per day here. I was just trying to suggest a way that everyone could get the same advantages out of the board. I was really just throwing this out there to get a feel for what everyone thought. It's apparent now what the attitude is here. So, I'll grab that beer and a whistle and enjoy the board how it is. Thanks everyone for the comments. This board, is truly a great resource in any respect.

*edit to add top quote*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bala on 2003-02-05 10:34 ]</font>
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Keep it like it is. Too much nit picky specialization makes for too much work for the board people and deemphasizes the sense of community we have here.
tkelly

Post by tkelly »

Bala,

As a longtime participant and moderator on many boards and mail lists, I think you'll pretty much find that it's not a good idea to show up someplace and try to change things immediately, no matter how good your ideas are or are not. I resist change in online spaces that I like bc of what I've seen in the past: newcomers show up and want the environment changed in all kinds of ways that are better for them; the moderator agrees with and makes some of the changes (or is just the kind of moderator who does anything people ask); and suddenly people who have been on for a long time find they don't like the environment so they leave.

The board or list then migrates and becomes something different from what it was -- sometimes something so different that the moderator finds herself (or himself) doing a ton of work to support an environment she doesn't even want to participate in any longer. I've seen more than one case where the moderator also leaves, which eventually kills the list.

In general, it's really best to hang out a while, get a feel for the place, then when people get to know you, mention ideas you have for changing the space. Often, you'll come to see that things are the way they are for a reason.

Tery
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

When I find myself in times of trouble
The C&F Board comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be.
And in my hour of darkness
On my PC screen in front of me
Let it be, let it be
Let it be, let it be.
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.

And when the broken hearted people
Living in the world agree,
The Chiffboard gives the answer, let it be.
For though they may be parted there is
Still a chance that they will see
The posters know answer, let it be.
Let it be, let it be
Let it be, let it be.
Yeah there will be an answer, let it be.

And when the night is cloudy,
There is still a light that shines on me,
This time it's the chatroom, let it be.
I wake up to the sound of whistles,
Dale Wisely comes to me
Let it be, let it be
Let it be, let it be.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Bala,
Tery made some good points.
I hope you don't feel 'shot down' by all of this. The way it was presented caused controversy.
Who knows, sometime in the future Rich may say the software running the board has reached it's limit and another forum needs to be added to share the load.
It wouldn't suprise me when everyone jumps on the bandwagon singing praises about the new forum.
No emotion, just a way of life.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

On 2003-02-05 11:09, Martin Milner wrote:

And when the night is cloudy,
There is still a light that shines on me,
This time it's the chatroom, let it be.
I wake up to the sound of whistles,
Dale Wisely comes to me
Let it be, let it be
Let it be, let it be.
The Beatle has spoken.
Reasonable person
Walden
Bala

Post by Bala »

I think you'll pretty much find that it's not a good idea to show up someplace and try to change things immediately
If you check the "joined" date, I've actually been a member for about a year, that's longer than you. Not to be rude, just pointing that out. I don't post often, but I do check the board frequently and have a good feel for how it works. I stand by what I believe would be improvements to this board, but as I said before I'm backing off to respect what seems to be the majority feeling here.
Thanks again everyone for the input!
Bagfed

Post by Bagfed »

You'll notice that the guy who posted the comment about having 1000 posts before you try to change people's groove - has nowhere near 1000 posts himself. And, if you've read any of his other posts, you can see that he doesn't take anything seriously. He is quite the handsome fellow though.

P.S. Keep trying to sell that ice to those Eskimos
Life is good. Hard, but good.
energy

Post by energy »

On 2003-02-06 00:45, Bagfed wrote:
...He is quite the handsome fellow though.
Hmmm. Is he a bona fide Cutie-Pie, or is that yet undetermined?

(Omy Gosh!!!!! Did I say that? I think I'm being infected with Cutie Pie-ism...)
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6

Post by Guest »

On 2003-02-05 12:29, Bala wrote:
I think you'll pretty much find that it's not a good idea to show up someplace and try to change things immediately
If you check the "joined" date, I've actually been a member for about a year, that's longer than you. Not to be rude, just pointing that out. I don't post often, but I do check the board frequently and have a good feel for how it works. I stand by what I believe would be improvements to this board, but as I said before I'm backing off to respect what seems to be the majority feeling here.
Thanks again everyone for the input!
Bala.
Maybe They ought to change the C&F To

<font size=+3>CHUFF AND WHIPLE</font>

<font size=+3></font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wizzy on 2003-02-06 06:49 ]</font>
Bala

Post by Bala »

No kidding!
Bala
-\/-