Should I buy a low whistle or flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Denny
antispam: No

Re: Should I buy a low whistle or flute?

Post by Denny »

Steve Bliven wrote:Is that the Nick Metcalf of Ethnic Winds Instruments. If so, isn't he in Texas these days?
no idea, I just fished for Tucson and found him.
There is a email address (msn) and a defunct link....
not much to go on if the email doesn't work
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Mick Down Under
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Mick Down Under »

I should be getting my tunable, so therefore, 2 peice Dixon Flute soon. Quite looking forward to my own foray into the world of crooked whistling, whatever becomes of it. I also have a large choice of whistles scattered around the house and three of those are considered to be Low. However it's the low D that will count here, I have a Goldie and I wouldn't part with it for the world. I say you can have both, you just have to decide which one will be the higher end instrument in the early stages. For me that was the whistle as it was just the progressive thing to do at the time. It could quite easily have gone the way of flute. My own advice is do your own thing, and since that thing seems to lean towards flute, I wanted to buy the 3 piece dixon, but funds wouldn't allow it this time around. If yours do, go that or the Tipple. Remember, though, that I haven't tried either of them, but it seems to have a degree of agreement from the previous posts.
As an aside, I'm not a fan of those flutes with all those complicated looking keys. More things go wrong when things get complicated like that. Give me six holes over a choice of more (or less) anyday.

Mick
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!
Tarin

Post by Tarin »

Hi Mick!

Thanks for your post. The Goldie was an advice in a german board, I like those whistles. Today I received the name of a flute teacher in my city (and a session about 20 min away :shock: why didn't I know?? A friend even works in that pub!). I will contact him and ask about lessons, flutes and whatever comes in my mind about fluting :D
The Dixon flute could be nice. Well, I have some months to decide before I could by a flute. I think of the middle of the year or so.

All your posts are very helpful, thanks :)

Greetings
Tarin
Visit my practice-diary channel on YT: http://www.youtube.com/user/WhistlesOnTin
LorenzoFlute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LorenzoFlute »

As an aside, I'm not a fan of those flutes with all those complicated looking keys. More things go wrong when things get complicated like that. Give me six holes over a choice of more (or less) anyday.
Don't say keys are complicated if you never tried them. There's nothing complicated about simple system keys. It may be complicated to get all that money to buy them, though. But if you need accidentals, they'll serve you well.
Tarin, don't get the two pieces dixon flute, go for a tipple instead...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

Another vote for both....they're different instruments, with different potential, you should at least try them both to see which clicks. In the overall scheme of things, and compared to other instruments, low D's aren't very expensive instruments; I got my first one for $40 used. I now have a couple of flutes here, four low D's , and a pot full of higher whistles; most of my energy at the moment is going in to flute, but I play a whistle every day, and I don't think I'll ever stop playing both. I like playing both.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Mick Down Under

Othannen wrote:
Don't say keys are complicated if you never tried them. There's nothing complicated about simple system keys. It may be complicated to get all that money to buy them, though. But if you need accidentals, they'll serve you well.
Tarin, don't get the two pieces dixon flute, go for a tipple instead...

I said, "...complicated looking...". Not complicated full stop! And if I want an accidental, I'll just pee my pants :poke: :D .

I recieved my own flute (Dixon 2 piece) today. Just got home an hour ago to find it waiting for me. I have even managed to play a bit of a tune on it already. It is a very different beast though, and I know everyone has said that it would be, but it has still taken me by surprise.
The sound I have managed to get, though not a perfect one, shows promise that the Dixon will sound very nice indeed. What is it that makes people say not to get the Dixon? Is there something in particular that is an inherent fault? Or is it just that they are easily outgrown?

Mick
Such is life...
Denny

Post by Denny »

:lol: oh good! Another chance to waive various automobiles about in careless allegory!!
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Mick Down Under wrote:.......
And if I want an accidental, I'll just pee my pants :poke: :D .

are you sure? :lol:

I mean accidentals are only played where they are needed .......
:P
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Mick Down Under

:D Peeing ones pants is only done when there is no alternative, like many accidentals...Avoid the problem by not letting it get too complicated in the first place. :P

Mick
Such is life...