Low C hole (7th hole) and G#

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
R Small
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Low C hole (7th hole) and G#

Post by R Small »

I wonder if a low C hole would lower cross-finger G# to where it's better in tune. In other words playing 1st octave G# with a 7th hole covered (xxoxxxx). I really don't see much need for a 7th hole but if it could help provide a well in tune G# it might be worth it for just that alone.
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Low C hole (7th hole) and G#

Post by jiminos »

i guess maybe i'm just not understanding, but what i'm seeing is....

drill a hole and then cover it in order to better voice the G#? how would it be different from not drilling and covering.... the tube would be closed all the way down fom the A in either case wouldn't it? xxo xxx vs xxo xxxx.... what am i missing?

otoh... it would provide a nice D# if placed correctly...

be well,

jim
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
Denny

Post by Denny »

b-b-but the 7th hole would have to be where the whistle ends (actually C# near there, C would be even farther)

on the top flute from the left
embouchure hole
three left hand holes
three right hand holes
2 additional holes (C# & C)

even if you make the whistle longer the stretch is gonna get ya
Last edited by Denny on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
R Small

Post by R Small »

A seven hole whistle will have a longer tube than a six hole whistle. Then by covering the 7th hole (xxoxxxx) the G# will (according to my theory) be lowered in pitch. The 7th hole would also provide a low C and C# but I'm mostly interested in how it would affect the pitch of the G#, a note that is usually quite sharp.
jiminos

Post by jiminos »

..... seems to me i've read somewhere around here that somebody already makes a D whistle with a C hole?....

be well,

jim
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

I just tried this on my extended foot SZBE. As usual, fingering G# as xxo xxx is slightly too sharp. Fingering G# as xxo xxxx does lower the pitch. In fact, it lowers it to G-half-sharp! In other words, it overshoots the target pitch by a quarter tone. Oops.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

I've got a D tube with a bottom C for my Burke brass session I made last year. The G# XXOXXXO is about 40 cents sharp, and XOXXX is about 10 cents sharp. In both cases the G# is weak. I much prefer half-holing G#.
Elvellon

Post by Elvellon »

Do you have a specific maker/model in mind? This depends on how much does crossfingering lower notes in the first place. For example, on one of my whistles XXO|XXX is useful for G#, on another for A finger vibrato (in the lower octave at least).
My real name's Roman
R Small

Post by R Small »

All the whistles that I currently play are Susatos (from high F down to G). They all have a sharp cross-finger G#. The high D Suzie has the best in tune G#. By easing up on the air stream I can get it to around 10 cents sharp which is okay. Some of the other whistles I can only get to around 20 cents sharp. Still usable (for my not too picky ears anyway) but not a great note.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

R Small wrote:I wonder if a low C hole would lower cross-finger G# to where it's better in tune. In other words playing 1st octave G# with a 7th hole covered (xxoxxxx). I really don't see much need for a 7th hole but if it could help provide a well in tune G# it might be worth it for just that alone.
I believe the instrument would have to be designed with that particular objective in mind. I have not spoken with any whistle/flute maker that have expressed that as an objective. If you want a seventh hole to provide a proper G#, I would place it up the tube quite a way, if you follow. No cross fingering involved.
hans wrote:I much prefer half-holing G#.
Right! :D

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
R Small

Post by R Small »

I can get G# dead on with half-holing and I use it for certain situations but for alot of the runs and licks that I use, particularly jazz and blues licks, the cross-finger G# is faster and easier.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

I have experimented with this, but I decided that bell stopping is a better technique for getting the bottom B (note below the bell note). Its easier on a wider diameter whistle and I can only do it on whistles in the key of C or above due to the length of my fingers.

Here is a short clip played on C whistle with a bottom B (one semitone below the bell note).
I doubt you will be able to tell there is anything odd going on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d_OwEbCXJ4
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Just tried it on one of my own D+ whistles and without testing it on a tuner, it sounds pretty close.
That said, I'd still half hole the G#. The low C note is a bit of a reach, so it would be tough to finger in a fast tune. Plus, half holing is a skill well worth acquiring. It'll let you play that G# in both octaves, plus you can use half holing to get a good Fnat, Bb,Cnat etc. In most cases it's MUCH easier than fooling around with cross fingerings and much more intuitive.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

I wholeheartedly agree Brewerpaul, practice your half holes.