What are they teaching my kids???

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: What are they teaching my kids???

Post by MTGuru »

mutepointe wrote:Improper grammer
Indeed.

One day in 1838, Jacob Grimm ate a bad sausage for dinner, and in the ensuing delirium decided that nouns are the Big Kahunas of words - Hauptkahunawörter. Germans have been trying both to figure this out and to avoid bad sausages ever since.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Alan
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Passing through the produce isles,
Should that not be Produce Isles?

Sounds like a travel program about a cruise ship. :lol:
emmline

Post by emmline »

Alan wrote:
I would say that at most contemporary grocery stores, the produce is displayed in isles, rather than aisles! It's the whole European market kiosk allure.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I'd like to visit the Islets of Langerhans someday. But I'm not sure I could stomach the trip. Tours leave daily from St. Pancras station.

s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Nanohedron wrote:Your point is ill-founded and the gap of perception is yours. For all you know, the clerk who composed the letter was eighty years old. When your needlessly divisive generational arrogance and presumption gives way to reason, let me know.
The '20-30 years' part of my comment is a direct quote from the OP. You're correct that the assumption is faulty, but it's not mine. You should read it another few times. Moving your lips might help.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

emmline wrote:...and it doesn't necessary occur to the hiring parties to screen for this.
Well played, emm.
Alan
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

emmline wrote:
Alan wrote:
I would say that at most contemporary grocery stores, the produce is displayed in isles, rather than aisles! It's the whole European market kiosk allure.
The Vons supermarket here is being renovated. I fear miles and miles of isles and aisles will be the result.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Denny

Post by Denny »

s1m0n wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Your point is ill-founded and the gap of perception is yours. For all you know, the clerk who composed the letter was eighty years old. When your needlessly divisive generational arrogance and presumption gives way to reason, let me know.
The '20-30 years' part of my comment is a direct quote from the OP. You're correct that the assumption is faulty, but it's not mine. You should read it another few times. Moving your lips might help.
or the first poster after the OP :wink:

was Emm not fyffer
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Denny wrote:
s1m0n wrote:
or the first poster after the OP
Good enough, you can read. The OP's "teaching my kids" thread title reflects the same generational theme.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Nanohedron wrote: Can you, or anyone, tell me what a "perspective 9th grader" could possibly be?
A fourteen year old 2/3 of the way down an empty hallway.

C.S. Lewis
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

At work, another drudge and I bemoan the lax expectations others have with respect to literacy. I am, in fact, loathed for my ability to spell and punctuate. Management sees this as some sort of personal problem . . . a defect in my character. Mind you, I don't criticize or point out the errors of others. They just think I should misspell and leave off some punctuation to show that I'm a team player.

"If u know your doing it, why dont you make a few misteaks so you won't stick out? u make every one feel bad and that not being a team player."

So, one day while driving to another work site, I saw a remarkably large wild boar which had been hit by pickup. The pickup's front end was smushed in and traffic was being routed around the beast. On my way back to work, I noted that an entire herd of wild pigs was rummaging around in the wooded area on the median, while the one hit that morning had been removed. Thinking that I'd been fortunate to see these wild creatures, wondering if the value of the pig was worth the front-end damage, and also wishing to warn my colleagues to be careful in the early morning darkness, I related the story to them. Several days later, as an individual in management left to drive the same route, I emailed a short message . . . "Watch out for the boars!"

Within seconds, my telephone rang and an angry voice snarled that I was being inappropriate and disrespectful. If I thought people were boring, I should just keep it to myself.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Denny

Post by Denny »

it is so easy to set of the sensitive ones :lol:

perhaps they had heard it before
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

mutepointe wrote:I took a semester of German in college. If I remember correctly, that languages capitalizes all nouns and ruined me completely on this matter. I can see why those particular words were capitalized.

In a school setting, those words are proper nouns. The Auditorium is just as important as Paris, France or Texas, take your pick. You try not capitalizing "Administrators" or "Department Chairs" and see how long you remain in their good graces. Improper grammer, probably. Proper suck-up-ed-ness, you betcha.
There was a time when people were doing this in English as well. Have a read of Dean Swift's "Gulliver's Travels".
See, where you're going wrong is in expecting the schools to be educating your children, or even setting them a good example. In Germany they do that, and I think in Japan. Here in the UK, and as far as I can see, in the U.S. as well, school is just custody for children so the parents can go off to work with a clear conscience. Of course they have to pretend to be doing something. They have exams and they coursework but not everyone is fooled. Perhaps the smartest kids are the ones who completely ignore it.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

One of these days I'm going to produce a thesis on the American comma. A thesis, on the American comma. :D

If only everybody could write stuff like what I do we'd all be a damned sight better off IMH opinion. Innit.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!