Asking for help: tuning slide of my Burke whistle is blocked

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Asking for help: tuning slide of my Burke whistle is blocked

Post by claudine »

I bought that Burke aluminum whistle a few years ago and hadn't played it for a while. Now I discovered that the tuning slide is blocked, doesn't move anymore. Any ideas what I can do?
Palimpsest

Re: Asking for help: tuning slide of my Burke whistle is blocked

Post by Palimpsest »

claudine wrote:I bought that Burke aluminum whistle a few years ago and hadn't played it for a while. Now I discovered that the tuning slide is blocked, doesn't move anymore. Any ideas what I can do?
I had a Chieftain with exactly the same problem, Phil Hardy at Kerry Whistles sorted it for me no problem, he cut off the offending slide and replaced the whole thing, this time with a corked slide to preclude and future problems.

May be worth an email to Burke to see if they can do similar
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Hi Claudine ... Sounds like your rubber O-ring is stuck. It can happen if you don't move the slide for a long time. Try wearing a pair of latex gloves for a better grip. Grab the head joint in one hand and the collar (not the body!) in the other hand, then gently twist left and right while pulling up (or pushing down).

Pull the head completely out, and check the O-ring inside the bore. If it is broken or torn, you'll have to replace it. Otherwise, lubricate the slide with cork grease or equivalent, then re-insert it to the line (patience, this can be tricky) and work it up and down a bit until the motion is smooth.

Of course, Michael B. can fix it. But with luck, you can do it yourself!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

You could hold it under some warm water. My instruments get real tight in the winter, and real loose in the summer. I know holding my metal whistles under warm water helps loosen it up.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

The Whistle Collector wrote:I know holding my metal whistles under warm water helps loosen it up.
Maybe. That works for metal-to-metal contact. But in this case, if the soft O-ring is fused to the slide, then heating the collar won't necessarily help. You have to break the O-ring seal, which requires some physical force and a very good grip on the slippery aluminum.

In fact, since the O-ring sits in an indented groove, heating the collar may actually make things worse. You need some lateral pressure on the O-ring to break the seal. Heating (expanding) the collar may cause the stuck O-ring to rotate in its groove, and be more likely to tear.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

MTGuru wrote:
The Whistle Collector wrote:I know holding my metal whistles under warm water helps loosen it up.
Maybe. That works for metal-to-metal contact. But in this case, if the soft O-ring is fused to the slide, then heating the collar won't necessarily help. You have to break the O-ring seal, which requires some physical force and a very good grip on the slippery aluminum.

In fact, since the O-ring sits in an indented groove, heating the collar may actually make things worse. You need some lateral pressure on the O-ring to break the seal. Heating (expanding) the collar may cause the stuck O-ring to rotate in its groove, and be more likely to tear.
oops :oops: I missed the O-ring part.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

in the absence of latex gloves, you can also achieve an excellent grip for twisting/pulling with a few handfuls of rubberbands... works a treat!
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

those plastic things to help you open jars can get you some good grip too
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
tin-titan

Post by tin-titan »

I own two small strap wrenches that I have used for a number of things like open the lids of very small bottles of paint that get dried shut and are near impossible to open any other way. Those probably would work on a stuck
tuning slide.
"Wake up your bones,
Tune up your drones,
Let flee that heavenly tone."
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

thanks for your advice. it worked, the tune sliding is working again :)