Whistle related threads are now "OT" ?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bagfed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bagfed »

(Not sorry for posting stupid threads... I have nothing to do with Innocents... or their debauchery.)

The board would be dead without the fluff.

As soon as someone asked a question, (which have all been asked before) one of you cranky people would curtly tell them to go take a flying search.
Life is good. Hard, but good.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

On 2003-02-03 15:26, DrRichard wrote:

Heh. And even this thought isn't new:

"What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun."
Yeah, that one goes back 3,000 years, doesn't it? Or last week, when I read again. That one never goes out of date.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On 2003-02-03 13:44, Peter Laban wrote:
Maybe it's a sign that every conceivable thing to be said about them has been said several times [see the popular subjects thread] so that you all have to bite the bullet and go of line and actually learn to play them well. Now there's a novel idea. :wink:
Someone once said:
Everything that can be said has been said already. But since almost nobody ever listens, it has to be repeated over and over again.

Who said that? Sorry, I wasn't listening.

One or two experienced people who dispense advice on this board get frustrated and complain that it is pointless. They should work in a job in which one is paid to give advice to people whose job it is to listen. My observation from areas in which I am an acknowledged expert: about three in every ten listen and maybe one takes the advice. Oh, and of those who don't listen, about four do just fine without your advice.

Post by Guest »

Yea,
Me mam used to all ways say.
If you can't say any thing nice don't say anything at all!
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

And me mom sez "repetition is the mother of teaching"...

There are many books I've read twice, and understood differently on second reading. Like my old grammar book :wink:
And what about some movies I saw several times, each time finding something new to watch?
Believing things need not be repeated, or circumlocuted, works only for those who also believe a given individual's personality is a static thing, which wouldn't evolve with age, weather and time of the day. Not to mention tide and moon phases...

OT's, and even rant, are part of what forms this here community.
Otherwise, all the Poststructural would have only the usefulness (and sex-appeal :roll:
I'll always advocate the superiority of the HH's Guide over the Encyclopædia Galactica.
rbm

Post by rbm »

I always wish I listened to what my mum said!

coz' I don't know what she said
because I didn't listen!
:grin:
Richard.
serpent

Post by serpent »

OT to OT (sorry)...
I attempted to make a new whistle last night out of PVC - a high-D. I can't get flutomat to give me reasonable spacing for holes #2 - #3 (from the bottom). The tubing is 0.71 ID, with a wall thickness of 0.0725. Any ideas? :grin:
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On 2003-02-04 07:53, serpent wrote:
OT to OT (sorry)...
I attempted to make a new whistle last night out of PVC - a high-D. I can't get flutomat to give me reasonable spacing for holes #2 - #3 (from the bottom). The tubing is 0.71 ID, with a wall thickness of 0.0725. Any ideas? :grin:
serpent
Sorry, I wasn't listening. :wink:
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

I am sure people who think the board has too few on-topic, whistle-related threads are more than welcome to start some up themselves... :wink:
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

On 2003-02-03 14:21, Azalin wrote:
Actually, two years ago the forum was a lot more (beside some pictures of cats and trips now and then) whistle related. The good old time!
Yeah, I was the only one who ever posted OT threads. NOT!
StevieJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

A number of people seem to assume that when someone suggests that a poster try a search it is done in bad temper. I have seen the words "angry" and "curt" applied to such suggestions.

Assumptions are dangerous. Or to put it another way, this is a load of bollocks.

When I suggest someone tries a search for a particular topic it is only because I know the matter has been dealt with thoroughly before and that useful information is out there already. The fact that I don't waste words in making such a suggestion or decorate it with daft icons doesn't mean I'm annoyed.

Right now, though I am a little exercised. Take the beam out of your own eyes, folks.
Bagfed

Post by Bagfed »

cranky pants :razz:
Life is good. Hard, but good.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

On 2003-02-03 20:13, blackhawk wrote:
On 2003-02-03 15:26, DrRichard wrote:

Heh. And even this thought isn't new:

"What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun."
Yeah, that one goes back 3,000 years, doesn't it? Or last week, when I read again. That one never goes out of date.
OT as in Old Testament?