Need Recommendations for Delrin Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Re: Need Recommendations for Delrin Flute

Post by I.D.10-t »

Depending on what you want, I think that the Copley has a few more
options to choose from than the Forbes, embouchure type one of the
options. Both have options for offset finger holes and screw adjustable
stoppers.

Another thing to look into is that I think that some makers will retro fit
pin mounted keys on an existing flute if you choose to have them put
on later. This may or may not be something you are interested in though.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
LorenzoFlute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Forbes is great.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
celticmodes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by celticmodes »

Denny wrote:you could have him use a different color than black
http://www.boedeker.com/acetal_p.htm
A green one for St. Paddy's day here in the states... :pint:
celticmodes
[Reviol 8 key | Oz Vambrace | Dusty Strings Ravenna | Luna Trinity Parlor]
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

celticmodes wrote:
Denny wrote:you could have him use a different color than black
http://www.boedeker.com/acetal_p.htm
A green one for St. Paddy's day here in the states... :pint:
I wonder if Copley would make one in red, for a pack anywhere flute
it would be a bit more visible in the woods.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Denny

Post by Denny »

me too....
I used to take a bamboo with me,
had to be very careful if setting it down.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

More colors it seems.
Non-standard Colors: Red • Blue • Green • Orange • Brown • Purple • Yellow • call for availability
http://www.tridentepp.com/Acetal.html

To bad orange could cause some ruffled feathers.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Green is always a fine choice for an outdoor item you don't want to lose.

For example, my father in law made a toss type game for the grandkids that used extra large washers. His favorite color is John Deere green, so he painted the washers that color.

After spending about an hour looking for the washers in the green grass (very close in color to John Deere green), he decided that green might not have been the best color choice for an outdoor game.

Orange is a fine choice in the US...keeps you safe in hunting season...might open you up to hunting season in Ireland, though.
FLUTEinVT

Post by FLUTEinVT »

I have both a blackwood and delrin Copely D - the delrin with the elliptical embrochure. The delrin is quite nice - not quite as nice as the blackwood, but close enough given the price difference. I'm happy with it.
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

Again, I would like to thank all who provided their thoughts/ opinions, they have been very helpful. Early this morning, I ordered a Dave Copley Flute. Dave currently has a 8-10 week wait, not too bad even for the very impatient, like me. Rob Forbes, on the other hand has a 4 month waiting list. The wait wasn't the deciding factor; however, it did figure in. Mostly, I liked the features that Dave Copley had to offer at no additional cost. Dave Copley can put cork on the tenon joints; Rob Forbes uses an "o" ring seal system which I would assume is something similar to the Michael Burke whistles. I'm sure that both systems are adequate to seal the joints, I went with the cork on the Copley Flute; hope that wasn't a mistake.

Well, there it is. Many have said it before, this particular website has some really nice, helpful people on it---- you folks are great. Thanks. :D
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Looks like Doc Jones has one (not with cork, I'm sure) in stock at the Irish Flute Store... I really think you're making a mistake with the cork, personally. The "raw" delrin is a lot less finicky than cork and seals very well. I've been playing mine quite a bit lately, btw, and might be using it as my main flute for our band's (Gallowglass) biggest gig of the year, the Wheeling Celtic Celebration this weekend in Wheeling, WV. We'll be playing the night before (3/5) at the West Virginia Independence Hall from 6:30 'til about 9 and during the celebration (Saturday the 6th) from 4:30 to 5:15.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I.D.10-t wrote:More colors it seems.
Non-standard Colors: Red • Blue • Green • Orange • Brown • Purple • Yellow • call for availability
http://www.tridentepp.com/Acetal.html

To bad orange could cause some ruffled feathers.
That is so cool, I want a purple one! :party:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

To Plunk 111: Pat, I really appreciate the "heads up" on the cork issue. I had my doubts when I told Dave that I wanted cork. I think you're right, the Delrin joints ought to be just fine. Just sent Dave Copely another email asking him not to use the cork. Nice watching out. I saw the flute on Doc Jones' site and actually called him. He said that he was out of the Copley Flutes at present and it would be about 7 weeks before he could get one. BTW, would love to hear your group play, make any CD's? Thanks, Don.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

psychodonald wrote:To Plunk 111: Pat, I really appreciate the "heads up" on the cork issue. I had my doubts when I told Dave that I wanted cork. I think you're right, the Delrin joints ought to be just fine. Just sent Dave Copely another email asking him not to use the cork. Nice watching out. I saw the flute on Doc Jones' site and actually called him. He said that he was out of the Copley Flutes at present and it would be about 7 weeks before he could get one. BTW, would love to hear your group play, make any CD's? Thanks, Don.
I always used cork on my Delrin flutes, but I am kind of a traditionalist....Delrin unlike PVC is stable enough for tenons without cork.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Jon C. wrote:Delrin unlike PVC is stable enough for tenons without cork.
Jon, I respect your opinion, but with well over a thousand flutes that I have made from pvc, I haven't had any problems with the sealing of the tenon joints with just a closely-machined pvc joint without any kind of spacing material. And considering stability of material in general, I think that pvc is more stable than many of the common woods with regard to temperature and humidity variations.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Personally, having had polymer flutes with and without cork, I prefer cork. If you play outside...in the sun, flutes without cork (polymer to polymer joints) seem to swell slightly and then can be a real bear to pull apart. The cork ones, though, pull apart more easily.

Plus, it just looks right to have cork or thread (Seery uses thread) on the black material...guess I'm a traditionalist as well.

Eric