Playing Fast

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

Playing Fast

Post by jim stone »

Secret of playing fast, it is sometimes said, is playing slow. Accordingly I’ve spent many many hours with a metronome playing tunes very slowly, repeating difficult passages very slowly, and so on. And it does help. But recently I joined an Irish ensemble class at the St. Louis folk school, led by a truly brilliant Irish fiddler who plays very fast–for me anyway. And I’m having the devil of a time playing fast enough to keep up. I’ve never had much reason to play really fast before, not having other people to play with. But if I'm to play in sessions it's time to play fast.

I don’t think playing slow is the final answer here. Anyhow, it hasn’t equipped me for this.
I’ve been playing flute something like seven years. I suppose the way to speed up is to do it,
perhaps to use a metronome set fast. They may not be much to say at this point, however advice and suggestions are welcome, especially from folks who play flute in fast sessions.
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Playing Fast

Post by ImNotIrish »

Jim,

There are people who can play wicked fast and keep the integrity of the tune intact, including pulse, rhythm, and ornamentation. Then there are those individuals who compromise one or more elements of the tune for the sake of speed. I suppose a gradual increase in tempo over a period of time would help you get there. Familiarity with the tune as well helps with speed. The great thing about being able to play both fast and slow is that you have two very different takes on a tune... something about the the way the tune sits at a particular tempo...

Arbo
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yeah, I'm no fan of speed, but if I'm going to play in good sessions (which is the next step, I reckon, if
I can find some) I'm going to have to play a good deal faster. I guess dancers dance pretty damn quickly
and the music goes accordingly--even without dancers. Real challenge.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

jim stone wrote:Yeah, I'm no fan of speed, but if I'm going to play in good sessions (which is the next step, I reckon, if
I can find some) I'm going to have to play a good deal faster. I guess dancers dance pretty damn quickly
and the music goes accordingly--even without dancers. Real challenge.

You will know when you are ready for such a session. And for some sessions, you may never be ready. For those occasions, I suggest and evening of listening. A very under appreciated activity in my honest opinion.
Arbo
LewisC
Tell us something.: It is a beautiful day in the piedmont for playing a favorite boxwood simple-system flute. Is that enough typing to get to 100 characters?? Maybe not, just to make sure here is a bit more stuff from the keyboard ...

Post by LewisC »

Hi Jim, I am faced with the same challenge. The metronome really helps. Every now and then the session I play with will rip off a tune at 110 or 120, but for me 100-104 is pretty fast and around the limit. I find ornamentation is the first to go and I can do pretty well with the musicality if I leave off most of the ornamentation.
Lewis
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I find that my perception of the speed is all relative to my comfort with the particular tune.

That is, a tune I don't know well, when played in a session, often seems overly fast, and I can't keep up. The tunes I really "own" are just the opposite. I may start one at what I feel is a moderate pace, only to have others tell me it was too fast.

I'm of the school that plays a tune slowly a few dozen (or hundred) times. The speed then comes naturally.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Does anybody know the metronome setting for jigs, also that for reels,
in a standard session, more or less? Hornpipes?
I think it's time to crank the 'nome up and play along.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

jim stone wrote:Does anybody know the metronome setting for jigs, also that for reels,
in a standard session, more or less? Hornpipes?
I think it's time to crank the 'nome up and play along.
The following BPMs are for dancing (competition), per this website:
Light Jig All levels 112-121
Single Jig Beginner 112-124 Intermediate 112-122 Champion 118 (CRN) [CRN = Cumann Rince Náisiúnta]
Reel Beginner 112-130 Intermediate 112-118 Champion 112-116
Slip Jig Beginner 112-130 Intermediate 112-124 Champion 112-118
Treble Jig Beginner 85-96 Intermediate 82-85 Champion 72-76
Hornpipe Beginner 128-144 Intermediate 113-130 Champion 112-116

Bear in mind that these standards do not in any wise apply absolutely to session or performance playing, although they're a good place to start. There are no standard metronome settings for session or performance playing; that playing is for its own sake, for the sheer art of it. Reels may be played slow for effect, or blazingly fast for the same reason. Same goes for any other tune type (although personally I dislike fast hornpipes in most cases; I don't see the point. You can play them too slow, too). Slides around here tend to be played slower than can be played for dancers at a top end of as much as - according to one source - 150 bpm (!). Not sure I buy that, but I've heard some crazy-fast slides out there.

While I would make a start with the above listed settings, ultimately I would urge you to concern yourself less with metric standards, as they don't really exist when it comes to session playing. It is what it is. Session metric standards vary from locale to locale, and depending on who's playing. I've encountered people holding up "the standard bpms" protest when things didn't go the way they liked, and frankly, they were politely ignored at best. The session and performance field has a broader valid horizon of possibilities, metrically speaking, than do the parameters of actual dancing situations.

That said, I think it's always important to play as if you were playing for dancers, whatever actual speed you're playing at. Steady's what counts.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks
Clinton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Testing to destruction

Post by Clinton »

This is coming from a classical non-flute background, but seems to still work for me with ITM.

When I am learning a tune or piece, I first try to just hack through it until I have all the notes under my fingers. Then I work with a metronome running slow enough that I can play it all, work on phrasing, breathing etc. Then I push the speed until it falls apart. Isolate the bits that are breaking and work on them slowly, then push them until they break again.

Then try again putting it all together at a workable speed, with the metronome running slow enough that I can play it all, working on phrasing, breathing etc. Then I push the speed until it falls apart.... Repeat as necessary.

This is not something that works in one practice session, but over days and weeks. I always try to end with "success", meaning, I end up trying to play the piece the last time at a tempo where I can put it all together.

Clinton
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

very helpful.
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

when there's no session available, I sometimes play along to the Comhaltas CDs. That helps me a lot.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks. Which ones?
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

http://comhaltas.ie/shop/detail/foinn_s ... _volume_1/ , but I'm guessing you already knew that.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

crookedtune wrote:http://comhaltas.ie/shop/detail/foinn_s ... _volume_1/ , but I'm guessing you already knew that.
exactly :thumbsup: