Need Recommendations for Delrin Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
psychodonald
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Need Recommendations for Delrin Flute

Post by psychodonald »

Would like some opinions regarding a nice sounding, "woody sounding" Delrin (plastic) flute. I recognize that this is a very subjective issue (what exactly constitutes "nice sounding," "mellow," etc.?) I do know that I get tired of the issues reagarding the playing of wooden flutes ( the humidity, the temp. the way your hair is parted or the color of your eyes :boggle: ), the sound of wood is beautiful, and I'm currently beating myself about the head and shoulders so the purests won't need to.

I'm looking for a conical, Delrin, flute that I can just pick up and play right out of the case without all of the other previously mentioned variables having to be taken into consideration. I just want a damn nice sounding Delrin flute. How about some suggestions? Thanks, Don.
Feadoggie

Re: Need Recommendations for Delrin Flute

Post by Feadoggie »

psychodonald wrote:I'm currently beating myself about the head and shoulders so the purests won't need to.
Why? I've carried a delrin/polymer flute around for years with no beatings resulting.

I've owned M&E, Seery and Dixon. I've played Copley and McGee delrins that I liked a great deal. I'd buy a Copley personally. And there are more that I am sure others will mention. Just get one from a reputable maker and start playing. Look at the used instruments board. Doesn't matter what the flutes made from but rather how well it is made and how it's played.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
cquick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by cquick »

I have a number of flutes (too many in fact), and I recommend the Copley delrin - I had an early M&E, and in my opinion, the Copely wins hands down.

Good shopping

Chuck
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Do you ever plan on getting keys?

http://www.forbesflutes.com/ Forbes is another Delrin flute maker, but I have no experience with any of them.

Some times Doc Jones has used flutes so it might be worth checking out. http://www.irishflutestore.com
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

IMHO forbes is a bit better than others and he's also less expensive...
I vote for Forbes!
dontf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by dontf »

I have owned three delrin flutes, current and favorite is one of Terry McGee's large holed Ruddall models. it's really a very good flute!
huffin' and puffin'
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I'll vote differently...one of M&E's new ebonite flutes would be my vote. They just sound woodier than any other delrin or PVC conical flute I've played or owned (caveat - I've not played a Forbes nor a McGee delrin...I've owned a Seery, Dixon 3 piece and an M&E PVC conical...also played a Copley delrin but not owned one).

Eric
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I'm with Feadoggie on this - I'd buy a Copley. Oh - wait - I DID buy a Copley! Two, in fact, after I got seller's remorse from selling the first one. I had Dave make me one with an elliptical embouchure and a C-nat thumbhole. He doesn't charge extra for either one and is just a super guy to deal with, too! If you're anywhere near Dublin, OH in August, he usually comes to the Irish festival. My current lust is one of his F-flutes in either delrin or blackwood.

[edit] I just noticed that the flute in my avatar is my old Copley...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
paddler

Post by paddler »

I have both a Copley and a Forbes Delrin D flute. Extravagant, I know. I got them with the intention of keeping the one I liked best and selling the other. The trap with that approach is that I ended up liking both of them and now I can't decide which one to let go! Every time I think I prefer one I pick the other up and like it just as much, although they are slightly different to each other. The Forbes seems to require slightly more air and has slightly larger tone holes than the Copley. In other words, it seems a little more Prattenish. But both flutes are capable of a dark reedy tone and I can recommend either one.
brotherwind

Post by brotherwind »

Hi,
I played M&E, Seery and I own a Forbes. I'd vote for the last one. It's hard to beat even by some wooden flutes.

Moritz
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

The Forbes is a Pratten as is the Seery. Copley is a Pratten/Rudall hybrid and M&E is a Rudall.

I like them all. No bad decision there. The thing that irritates me is that I get one in and decide it's time for me to keep one for myself then some joker buys it! Story of my life.

I'm one of these days going to special order myself a Copley E,F,G set and a D/Eb set. Maybe I'll have him engrave my name on it or something so I can't sell it.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Denny

Post by Denny »

you could have him use a different color than black
http://www.boedeker.com/acetal_p.htm
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

Thanks to all who have responded, your experience and opinion are very valuable to me. The two flutes that I have in mind are the Forbes and the Copley with a slight edge toward the Copley. Frankly, I've given thought to buying both of them for different reasons; however, "She who must be obeyed" would have me sleeping with the dogs (just kidding, honey) :puppyeyes: . As many of you have stated, a person couldn't go wrong with either one and I'm sure that's true. If others, who haven't seen the post as of yet, wish to give me their feedback, it is certainly welcome as I will not make my purchase until next week.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

In all honesty, you can't go wrong with any of the flutes listed...just get one and play, play, play.
m31
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by m31 »

Delrin Copley with traditional / elliptical embouchure hole.

BTW, what does plastic sound like? :P