Have you ever been robbed electronically?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
sbfluter

Have you ever been robbed electronically?

Post by sbfluter »

Have you or anyone you know ever had your money stolen from your bank account because someone got your password, probably from malware on your computer, and then made small bank transfers until it was all gone? If so, what did you do about it?
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Re: Have you ever been robbed electronically?

Post by SteveShaw »

My son had his bank account cleaned out when his debit card was copied. The banking code in the UK requires banks to reimburse customers for all real and consequential losses unless the losses came about as the result of gross negligence on the part of the customer (sharing your PIN number for example). My son got all his money back, though not without considerable inconvenience. I believe that is the most usual outcome.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

I've had a credit card number compromised (probably hackers in the bank computers) and we had our debit card number stolen (probably from a restaurant transaction).

On the credit card, the bank caught it and froze it when a questionable transaction came through. I didn't have to pay anything, and they issued me a new card.

On the debit card, the idiot started to use it over Memorial Day weekend. I caught it on Sunday and froze it. Unfortunately before I froze it they took over $4000 US out of our account for various charges. We got it all back, but it took anywhere from a week to a month before it was all reimbursed. I'll never have another debit card (it wasn't mine, it was Tom's). At least with a credit card you have a "waiting period" and the money doesn't come out of your account immediately.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
emmline

Post by emmline »

I also have had a credit card number compromised. Fortunately a good bank will notice the odd activity (online gambling sites in my case) and intervene quickly.
Online account access, otherwise, is something that I'd be extremely careful with. I would not, for instance, enter passwords using a public computer. If I had to for some reason, I would do it by copy/paste, rather than keyboard. Then you must always always always sign out and close browsers.
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

One of the merchants that I bought something from had their server hacked and all the credit card numbers were stolen. Unfortunately, this kind of event is quite common.

I was issued a new card. The old card has small charges with strange names for online services. Someone not paying attention might not even notice. The names changed every month. With this background, it seems to me to be an organized racket and likely nets the thieves many millions of dollars every year. They get a pro to hack into servers. Set up some other online shell companies to receive payments, with a few legit, most not. Ring the register, every month, forever or until the stolen card gets canceled. Even when I got a new card number the bogus charges still occurred. It was a mess untangling it.

Be careful out there. Identity theft is a profitable and booming business. My case was mild, and I think the thieves know that by stealing a small amount every month, prosecutors and law enforcement, and the victims will not take the time to follow up. Even if they did, the amounts are so small for each individual it would be no more than petty theft. To prove the bigger case would require more manpower and expertise than law enforcement has.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I've never been able to understand how banks managed to establish the belief that when the bank gives money to the wrong person, it's not their money they just wasted, but ours.

We PAY them to keep our money safe, and their employees design, create and operate all the security features. If they screw that up, it's their problem, IMO. If I borrow money from the bank and someone picks my pocket fifty feet from the door of my branch, I can't go back into the bank and tell them that somebody just stole their money so I don't have to pay off the loan after all.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Well, the poor man thinks that it had to do with file sharing software. He kept a file of passwords. He's probably screwed. He spent a whole day getting new accounts at all his banks and closing all online accounts.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

That is precisely the problem with "Cloud Computing".

We've had people trying to buy expensive articles on our Credit Card, from places like Singapore. The Credit Card company rang us up for confirmation, or, in our case, denial. It took a while to sort out, but it did get sorted out.
Not had that kind of problem with a bank (yet), touch wood.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

I've not had my details stolen but i did once have my card processed twice for one transaction at a restaurant in Dubai. Accidentally or deliberately I don't know but the second transaction was readily reimbursed. This was some years ago when it was still common practice to let your credit card out of sight when payment was taken.
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Hotblack wrote:This was some years ago when it was still common practice to let your credit card out of sight when payment was taken.
This is still common practice as far as I've observed.
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

emmline wrote:
Hotblack wrote:This was some years ago when it was still common practice to let your credit card out of sight when payment was taken.
Not over here in the UK. Now payment is taken at the table, on a portable device, in front of the customer. usually on something that looks like this
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Hotblack wrote:
emmline wrote:
Not over here in the UK. Now payment is taken at the table, on a portable device, in front of the customer. usually on something that looks like this
I've never seen that before, but I wish we had it around here.
My only incident with this stuff is when someone got my Paypal password last year and bought $600 worth of server space. Took a month to clear that up, which really sucked since that money came out of my checking account. I never got around to getting my account unlocked, and probably won't.
My wife just had her second incident of someone using her credit card number. It looks like they tested it out at a pizza place in Texas, and when that worked they bought $900 in plane tickets. Which seems dumb and traceable, so I hope the company pursues it.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Hotblack wrote:Image
Yeah, they had those in France when I
was there a few years ago. Great idea.
The waitress I asked about them said
they can work on cell networks or over
satellite connections. So you could have
them anywhere. Don't know why the US
has never caught on.
Latticino
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Latticino »

Actually these mobile credit card machines are fairly common here in the US as well, just not in retail establishments or restaurants. I had an older version myself when I used to do street art festivals. It hooked up with a cell phone and processed a card directly to my merchant account. To give you an idea about how long ago that was, I was still using a 3W bag phone that was about the size of 2 1/2 standard bricks (and weighed almost that much as well). Kept the whole thing in a briefcase with a charging transformer for festivals that provided us with electricity. Worked great till one show in Ann Arbor, Michigan when there were so many people plugged into the same line that the voltage dropped precipitously and the transformer inside my power supply caught fire. Those were the good days...
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Latticino wrote:Actually these mobile credit card machines are fairly common here in the US as well, just not in retail establishments or restaurants.
Wow, I didn't know that. And I got all
excited when I heard there was an iPhone
app for processing credit cards... :)