books on library shelves

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

books on library shelves

Post by mutepointe »

You folks are literate. You have just got to click on this link. Warning. Sit down. Swallow beverages first.

Interior Decorator Without a Clue
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
A-Musing

Re: books on library shelves

Post by A-Musing »

I'm swallowing my beverage from the bottom of the cup.

I's neater...more streamlined that way.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

In keeping with the trend toward streamlined kitchens, I remove the labels from all my canned foods. The gleaming metal cans make a post-industrial fashion statement in my pantry, and meals become so much more interesting. Green beans and enchilada sauce, tomato soup and pickles - a dining adventure every day!

I also strip the labels from all my prescription medications, for a streamlined medicine cabinet. Got a headache? Just take one of everything ...

:boggle:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
emmline

Post by emmline »

These are some excellent ideas for simplified and more gracious living. Thanks all.
I am now contemplating renaming my children Do Re Mi and Fa, for a list that rolls
liltingly off the tongue. (I made up the word "liltingly" for aesthetic reasons.)
Ok, so I'm going to go spray paint my dog and two cats linen white now, since I have
learned that a neutral color palette is in vogue.

(on the topic of books on the shelf: my brother has had a lifelong habit of turning entire sets--The Encyclopedia Britannica,
the Complete Wizard of Oz series--upside down on the shelf so that the wear on the the spine would be more balanced.
At least we could read the spines, albeit by a head tilt in the opposite direction.)
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I had an old lady friend who was a writer of lesbian romance novels. She had a fairly extensive library filling a whole wall of a room in her house. During a time when she was bed-ridden, her caretaker took it upon herself to rearrange Valerie's books by size, so that everying looked neat on the shelves, as least in her mind. When Valerie went to look for a book, which had been shelved in alphabetical order by author, all she could say was "stupid woman", referring to her caretaker. It was my task to help put the books back in order.
Denny

Post by Denny »

so, ah....

size is important to some people
just not lesbian authors?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Doug_Tipple wrote:I had an old lady friend who was a writer of lesbian romance novels. She had a fairly extensive library filling a whole wall of a room in her house. During a time when she was bed-ridden, her caretaker took it upon herself to rearrange Valerie's books by size, so that everying looked neat on the shelves, as least in her mind. When Valerie went to look for a book, which had been shelved in alphabetical order by author, all she could say was "stupid woman", referring to her caretaker. It was my task to help put the books back in order.
I read just today that Samuel Pepys, restoration-era diarist, father of the Royal Navy, and inventer of the glass-fronted bookcase also kept his personal 3,000 volume collection graduated by height, with book one being the smallest and book 3,000 the tallest.

Here's Pepys' library in 1690, and below at Oxford's Magdalen College (to which he bequeathed them) along with the 8 'presses' (bookcases) he'd had shipwrights at the Naval Dockyard make to his design.

And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I am so going to do that to Mr Izz's book collection. If nothing else, it will give me a hearty chuckle when he goes to look for a certain book.
emm wrote:I am now contemplating renaming my children Do Re Mi and Fa, for a list that rolls
liltingly off the tongue.
We refer to the Izzlets by number, and the funniest part was that they know their number. It makes life easier when you pile into the van, and need to do a roll call. But, I do admit Do, Re, Mi, and Fa sound nicer.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

"Why on Earth did you do that??"

"Well, I don't actually read them."

"Congratulations. You have somehow managed to both succumb to common pretense, and yet slip the mundane."
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

He's making progress - only a week ago he learned that it's bookcase, not a 'wall-unit'.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

What some people won't do for attention!
Cotelette d'Agneau
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

s1m0n wrote:He's making progress - only a week ago he learned that it's bookcase, not a 'wall-unit'.

Nonsense! It's a press! (Actually, only if it has doors.)
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
s1m0n wrote:He's making progress - only a week ago he learned that it's bookcase, not a 'wall-unit'.

Nonsense! It's a press! (Actually, only if it has doors.)
Note the pictures of the ur-press in my post about Pepys.

C.S. Lewis
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

s1m0n wrote:I read just today that Samuel Pepys, ... inventer of the glass-fronted bookcase
Before him, all bookcases were fronted with tile.
s1m0n wrote:... [Pepys] also kept his personal 3,000 volume collection graduated by height, with book one being the smallest and book 3,000 the tallest.
I bet he took a ruler with him to the book store.
I'd hate to have to add to the middle of that stack.
chas

Post by chas »

MTGuru wrote:In keeping with the trend toward streamlined kitchens, I remove the labels from all my canned foods.
I buy bulk spices from Indian markets. The bags don't go well in my spice cabinet, so I I have to find alternate vessels for them. I try to keep them roughly alphabetical, with non-hot stuff on the lower shelf and hot stuff on the upper shelf, but they get mixed up regularly. I put masking-tape labels on them, but those have worn off. Most have distinct looks, but some do not. So I have to remember cumin is in an old thyme jar, coriander is in an old Flintstones vitamins jar, cardamom is in a pint ball jar, garam masala is in an old nutmeg jar. . . I'm sure it bugs my wife. The other day I got a call at work, she needed turmeric (to make homemade pH paper, nothing so pedestrian as cooking with it). Found an old kalamata olive jar with bright yellow stuff in it, but called anyway to make sure.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.