OT: grrrrrrr.....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

You won't believe this. On eBay, under the topic "space shuttle" and on the 10th page, some creeps are offering tiles from the Columbia!! F*%?#ng ghouls. I hope they rot.

N, shaking my head
carrie

Post by carrie »

I thought I remembered reading yesterday that e-bay pulled all such items off. Yes, there were MORE. Hard to believe, I know.

Carol
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Well, we can take comfort in knowing that, if they ARE artifacts from Columbia, those sellers are in a world of hurt. Those pieces are federal property, and the government has already announced that they will take legal action, if necessary, to retrieve them.

It never fails to amaze me how some people will take any opportunity to profit from a tragedy :sad:

On a more positive note, we were idly watching TV in a lounge last night while waiting to be seated for dinner. Scrolling across the screen under whatever was playing was the message that "Star Wars" had been scheduled for that time period, but the station had decided that it might be painful for some to watch in light of the shuttle disaster, so it would be rescheduled for a later date. I thought that showed an amazing amount of tact for a TV station!

Redwolf

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Redwolf on 2003-02-03 14:44 ]</font>
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Props to that TV station for showing a sense of proportion, Redwolf! It appears to me that grasping opportunism and self-entitlement are so much the fashion of the day, that probity itself seems almost shocking by contrast.

N, cynical today
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I just wish that TV station hadn't shown a Carol Lombard documentary instead.
/Bloomfield
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

That's very weird--the ebay sale.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Yes, I heard on the radio that sellers doing that were to be fined up to $250,000 with jail time as well.

What is truly in a grey area - and I saw this at 9/11 too - are sellers who put related memorabilia on auction <b>before</b> the tragedy and end up with insane prices for their pieces.

Case in point - this auction for a $5 Columbia memorabilia coin, which began with an opening bid of $10 on January 25 and ended 12 hours after the accident:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... tegory=546

There was no malicious intent from the seller - just selling off some interesting trinkets. But look at <a href="http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.d ... 46952">the bid history....</a>people went insane.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

What amazes me are the number of people who bid against themselves.
Does eBay have a course on 'how to out bid yourself in three easy lessons' ??
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

They weren't bidding against themselves - they were trying to exceed a higher bid made by an earlier bidder. The time stamps tell the chronological order - the names are listed in order of amount bid, not time of bid.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Oh, well...I suppose the religious fascination with relics isn't so far removed from the desire for any other memorabilia; all of this is would involve a lot of discussion, semantics and history and it would still stink to high heaven for MY nose.
Then again, I ain't so lily-white myself...

Rant, rant, rant.

N, trying to keep my ghoulish figure
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Here's a CNN article on the situation.

<A HREF="http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/0 ... html">eBay Pulls Shuttle Debris Offers</A>

It is a federal offense to remove debris from an aircraft accident, because it could inhibit the investigation. Add that to the fact that Columbia is government property and people have already been warned not to touch or move anything, and there's definitely a strong case to prosecute anyone who has actual pieces of the shuttle. It's likely, as this article says, that many of these are hoaxes, but for those that aren't, I hope eBay turns 'em over to the Feds...trying to profit off such a tragedy is heinous.

Redwolf
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I would assume that there is an underground market for every possible kind of sick or macabre service or merchandise. I suppose you have to be into that sort of thing to know why; on second thoughts, I doubt whether those who are into them really know why. What is puzzling to me about these auctions is that they are so public.